Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > which dvd drive ?

which dvd drive ?

Brett Cooper

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:31:45 +1200, Invisible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 17:25:06 +1200, Brett Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Ok I could say my ASUS is good but the only thing I found with it was that
>>it doesn't read DVD-R disks. But apart from that, it's damb fine.
>>

>Which model have you got? Just chucked a DVD+R in and it read it no problem.
>Haven't got any -R's lying around to test though.

Yes it handles +R find but -R is doesn't want to see. Model? ummm NEW,
brought it this year from Advantage computers, cost a few $'s more than
some other sites, but I could pick it up and they gave me a free bag of
chocolate covered raisins. Oh the drive also has problems reading chocolate
raisins =) <free raisins = free promotion> Oh it's a E616 with firmware
V2.0 and it does the zone resetting sweetas.

Well I just had a look at
http://www.asus.com/products/optical...6/overview.htm
and it says, "Full Playability: accessing all format DVD-ROM/R/RW, DVD+RW
and CD-ROM/R/RW discs"

Maybe I just had a freaky disk, but it played ok in my brothers dvd-player.

Strange ah
Brett

Brett Cooper

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:31:45 +1200, Invisible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 17:25:06 +1200, Brett Cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Ok I could say my ASUS is good but the only thing I found with it was that
>>it doesn't read DVD-R disks. But apart from that, it's damb fine.
>>

>Which model have you got? Just chucked a DVD+R in and it read it no problem.
>Haven't got any -R's lying around to test though.

I see there is a new Frimware upgrade. 2.2
ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/dvdro...ROME616_22.exe
It might fix my dvd-r feature.

Master Tech

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:24:12 +1200, "Robert Bradshaw" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Out of these which one should I get.. the price differences between them is
>marginal
>
>Asus E616 16x48x Retail DVD-Rom Drive
>LG DRD-8161B 16x48x oem DVD-Rom Drive
>LiteOn 16x40x oem DVD-Rom Drive
>Mitsubishi 16x Black Retail DVD-Rom Drive
>Pioneer DVD-120 16x Tray load oem DVD-Rom Drive
>Sony DDU1621 16x40x oem DVD-Rom Drive
>
>any advice appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Rob
>

>---

I see that CloneCD only recommend the Toshiba brand, Ascent & PP used to
list them.

To do with copying protected CD games.

"Although all DVD/CD Readers work with CloneCD, only a few read subchannel
data. We recommend TOSHIBA DVD-Readers for reading. "

k y l e

"Ben Perston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f10ae50$(E-Mail Removed)...
> cowboyz wrote:
> > i have the asus and very happy with it. you can reset the region lock

by
> > holding the buttons on front of the drive on bootup.

> Another thumbs up for the Asus here - quiet, easy to reset the region
> change counter, and it rips audio CDs very fast (provided they're not
> scratched). My experience with a Pioneer slot loading drive (116 maybe)
> was rather less pleasant, but the tray loading drives might be
> completely different.

I have the aforementioned slot-loading Pioneer drive and am very happy with
it.

Peter Huebner

In article <3f10ae50$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> cowboyz wrote:
> > i have the asus and very happy with it. you can reset the region lock by
> > holding the buttons on front of the drive on bootup.

> Another thumbs up for the Asus here - quiet, easy to reset the region
> change counter, and it rips audio CDs very fast (provided they're not
> scratched). My experience with a Pioneer slot loading drive (116 maybe)
> was rather less pleasant, but the tray loading drives might be
> completely different.

The region resetting feature sounds good, gosh I wish that the damn
music/movie companies got their fingers smacked for all that damn
stupidity ...

What I really wanted to say though is, that I am very happy with my slot
Pioneer drive. Love it all to pieces. It doesn't like some badly copy
protected CDs though - some Sierra games lead to headbanging like at a
Motorhead concert. But so far it hasn't killed it yet... operating it is
much nicer than a drive with a tray i.m.o. : you don't have the open tray
waiting to be swiped by a swivel chair while you reach for that other
disk or whatever ...

-Peter

Mick0r

I've got a Pioneer Tray Load DVD drive. Its great. Seems to read
everything. But, I've almost taken out the open tray with a swivel
chair. The only reason I didn't buy the slot loading one is because
they were out of stock :/

Cheers

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Out of these which one should I get.. the price differences between them is
>marginal
>
>Asus E616 16x48x Retail DVD-Rom Drive
>LG DRD-8161B 16x48x oem DVD-Rom Drive
>LiteOn 16x40x oem DVD-Rom Drive
>Mitsubishi 16x Black Retail DVD-Rom Drive
>Pioneer DVD-120 16x Tray load oem DVD-Rom Drive
>Sony DDU1621 16x40x oem DVD-Rom Drive
>
>any advice appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Rob
>

>---

Robert Bradshaw

I ordered an Asus one from pp.co.nz last week because it is easy to change
the regions on it and DMA100 rather then DMA33 or 66 (can't remember whcih)
that the pioneer was limited at.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...