Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > IE6 Strange Behaviour

IE6 Strange Behaviour

whoa

On a PC with Win XP, and multiple user accounts, IE6 works fine on my
(administrator) account. But on other (limited) accounts, some web pages
don't work. For example, on Google, the "Google Search" and "I'm Feeling
Lucky" buttons change colour, on mouse over or click, but do nothing else.
Neither do the page tabs for Images, Groups, Directory or News.
I've changed the limited accounts to administrator, no change in behaviour.
I've created a new administrator account, same thing, the buttons don't
work.
The links on the right hand side for Advanced Search, Preferences, Language
Tools don't work, but the links on the bottom line Advertise with us, etc
all do.

If I start Google from another link, e.g from NZCity's Search box, all seems
fine. Same if I use the Search button within IE6 to bring up Google as the
default search engine, all seems OK.
I've tried clearing caches, temp pages, etc, but no luck.
And ICQ shows similar behaviour on another account.

Any suggestions on how to make IE6 (and ICQ) work correctly on all accounts?

(Answers involving Linux are welcome, but not helpful, in replacing this
problem with many others. )

Kristofer Clayton

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:21:37 +1200, whoa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On a PC with Win XP, and multiple user accounts, IE6 works fine on my
>(administrator) account. But on other (limited) accounts, some web pages
>don't work.

Look on Google for an app called BHODemon and run it, there could be a
possibility that a Browser Helper Object (BHO) has linked itself with
IE and is causing IE to do weird things. There's a few good BHO's out
there - The Acrobat PDF Helper and the Norton ScriptBlocker Helper,
but most others are just ad-ware and other crap.

--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand

Enkidu

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:21:37 +1200, whoa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On a PC with Win XP, and multiple user accounts, IE6 works fine on my
>(administrator) account. But on other (limited) accounts, some web pages
>don't work. For example, on Google, the "Google Search" and "I'm Feeling
>Lucky" buttons change colour, on mouse over or click, but do nothing else.
>Neither do the page tabs for Images, Groups, Directory or News.
>I've changed the limited accounts to administrator, no change in behaviour.
>I've created a new administrator account, same thing, the buttons don't
>work.
>The links on the right hand side for Advanced Search, Preferences, Language
>Tools don't work, but the links on the bottom line Advertise with us, etc
>all do.
>
>If I start Google from another link, e.g from NZCity's Search box, all seems
>fine. Same if I use the Search button within IE6 to bring up Google as the
>default search engine, all seems OK.
>I've tried clearing caches, temp pages, etc, but no luck.
>And ICQ shows similar behaviour on another account.
>
>Any suggestions on how to make IE6 (and ICQ) work correctly on all accounts?
>
>(Answers involving Linux are welcome, but not helpful, in replacing this
>problem with many others. )

Firstly, do not replace your operating system with Linux. IE does not
run too well on Linux.

Secondly, look at the bottom right of the IE screen, and see what
zones you are in. The zones are Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted
Sites and Restricted Sites. If they are in a different zone, the
options may have been changed somehow.

Cheers,

Cliff

whoa

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:40:52 +1200, "Kristofer Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)>
said

>On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:21:37 +1200, whoa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On a PC with Win XP, and multiple user accounts, IE6 works fine on my
>>(administrator) account. But on other (limited) accounts, some web pages
>>don't work.

>Look on Google for an app called BHODemon and run it, there could be a
>possibility that a Browser Helper Object (BHO) has linked itself with
>IE and is causing IE to do weird things. There's a few good BHO's out
>there - The Acrobat PDF Helper and the Norton ScriptBlocker Helper,
>but most others are just ad-ware and other crap.

Yes, that's it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A BHO for StarDownloader caused the problem. Turning it off solved the
issue. The others don't use Star, and I haven't investigated all the
ramifications, but I do have some happier families!

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know BHO's even existed.