Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Sky tv aerial

Sky tv aerial

Ken

I am wiring up a new house for possible future Sky tv.
I am told to also run a phone cable to the decoder position.
What is the phone line used for?
Thanks,
Ken

E. Scrooge

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bepnqr$ujj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am wiring up a new house for possible future Sky tv.
> I am told to also run a phone cable to the decoder position.
> What is the phone line used for?
> Thanks,
> Ken

Pay TV.
The digital dish decoder sends the booking for some crap to Sky through the
phone line.
For about $20 you can enjoy the first Lord Of The Rings film, even though
you most likely saw it on the big screen at the movies for half the price
and about a year ago, and could have the bugger on DVD as well. Paying Sky
for old movies for a day is a joke.

E. Scrooge

colinco

In article <beptah$2le$(E-Mail Removed)>, E. Scrooge wrote...
> For about $20 you can enjoy the first Lord Of The Rings film, even though
> you most likely saw it on the big screen at the movies for half the price
> and about a year ago, and could have the bugger on DVD as well.

How many days did you take to watch it??

E. Scrooge

"colinco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <beptah$2le$(E-Mail Removed)>, E. Scrooge wrote...
> > For about $20 you can enjoy the first Lord Of The Rings film, even

though
> > you most likely saw it on the big screen at the movies for half the

price
> > and about a year ago, and could have the bugger on DVD as well.
> >

> How many days did you take to watch it??

Only 365 so far, I think the closing credits are only a matter of a few
hours away now.

E. Scrooge

Rob King

"E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote in message
news:beptah$2le$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:bepnqr$ujj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am wiring up a new house for possible future Sky tv.
> > I am told to also run a phone cable to the decoder position.
> > What is the phone line used for?
> > Thanks,
> > Ken

> Pay TV.
> The digital dish decoder sends the booking for some crap to Sky through

the
> phone line.
> For about $20 you can enjoy the first Lord Of The Rings film, even though
> you most likely saw it on the big screen at the movies for half the price
> and about a year ago, and could have the bugger on DVD as well. Paying

Sky
> for old movies for a day is a joke.

Saturn were the same when we had it. Lots of older movies and b-grades for
the lovely price of $7 a time. And they still couldn't sync up the sound
with the video so you'd see the people on screen say it before you heard it.
Or maybe it was the other way round.......

However, we did end up watching a few gems which wouldn't have otherwise
watched (Still Crazy and American Movie are two that stand out).

Nathan Mercer

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bepnqr$ujj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am wiring up a new house for possible future Sky tv.
> I am told to also run a phone cable to the decoder position.
> What is the phone line used for?

Maybe for email on your TV!!
http://www.skymail.co.nz/

back again

"Nathan Mercer" <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Subject: Re: Sky tv aerial
> From: "Nathan Mercer" <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz>
> Newsgroups: nz.comp
>

> "Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bepnqr$ujj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am wiring up a new house for possible future Sky tv.
>> I am told to also run a phone cable to the decoder position.
>> What is the phone line used for?

Booking and paying for crap B grade movies? The really **** C grade ones
are provided as part of the existing $60 ripoff

(a happy ex-Sky customer, who likes to point out that people could go to
the movies several times a month or rent a dozen DVDs per month for the
price of Sky).

Robert

Have a look at the Hills catalogue for wiring a house with patch panel -
some good stuff there.
Cat5e for phone & data. Coax and ability to run DVD, video, sky to other
TV's in the house (modulated) plus ability to use remote controls.

Was looking but can't afford it on existing house - will just do sky UHF &
couple of cat5e runs.

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bepnqr$ujj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am wiring up a new house for possible future Sky tv.
> I am told to also run a phone cable to the decoder position.
> What is the phone line used for?
> Thanks,
> Ken

Richard

"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fyFQa.4855$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have a look at the Hills catalogue for wiring a house with patch panel -
> some good stuff there.
> Cat5e for phone & data. Coax and ability to run DVD, video, sky to other
> TV's in the house (modulated) plus ability to use remote controls.
>
> Was looking but can't afford it on existing house - will just do sky UHF &
> couple of cat5e runs.

I had a look at one of those packages, Cracked up when they said they
modulate DVD etc... Modulated will give you the quality of the RF out of a
VCR, fine for a driveway camera or something, but no good for quality
sources.

If you want that, go to www.oatleyelectronics.com and buy a couple of $10
UHF modulators, feed them the AV source and 5volts and put them into the
input of the splitter.

I have done this with some cameras and the results are ok, but the cables do
pick up a bit of UHF ingress, and the diplexer isnt perfect so I had to
work around the off air UHF crap, leaving me about 6 free channels to put
stuff on.

And the cat-5 gear they sell seems pretty limited. I have only cabled up
half of downstairs and I have already maxed out a 12 port patch panel, and
thats only 1 run to most locations rather then the recommended 2 or 3.