Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: A certain organisation rejecting email if not posted through Xtra's SMTP server

Re: A certain organisation rejecting email if not posted through Xtra's SMTP server

cowboyz

"Lennier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2003.07.10.13.29.10.946440@TRACKER...
> Wave.co.nz is rejecting email being sent by Xtra customers who do not use
> Xtra's SMTP server.
>
> Lennier
>

> --
> I specifically DENY Xtra, and Telecom NZ Ltd, and all other subsidiaries
> of Telecom NZ Ltd, the right to use the contents of this digital
> communication for any purpose whatsoever, whether in whole or in part -
> regardless of how it is stored or transmitted through Xtra's network.

why do they care?
--
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

R-Slicks

I noticed this a few months ago when sending to an AOL recipient.
The cause was simply that my Jetstart dynamic IP is listed as
'residential' and residential customers shouldn't be running servers.
Therefore AOL decided it must, of course, be spam and rejected the
message. I now have to push all my mail through Ihug's smtp server.
It's bullshit but short of going Jetstream, getting a static IP and
hence more than doubling my yearly access costs, what can I do ?

--
DO NOT reply to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) - it is simply a spam catch.
You can, if you wish, try "news .at. preou .dot. com"

Enkidu

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:05:25 +1200, R-Slicks <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I noticed this a few months ago when sending to an AOL recipient.
>The cause was simply that my Jetstart dynamic IP is listed as
>'residential' and residential customers shouldn't be running servers.

>Therefore AOL decided it must, of course, be spam and rejected the
>message.

AOL would not know that your service was "residential". AOL refuse
emails if they can't do a reverse lookup on the IP address that is
trying to send to them.

>I now have to push all my mail through Ihug's smtp server.
>It's bullshit but short of going Jetstream, getting a static IP and
>hence more than doubling my yearly access costs, what can I do ?

Not a lot.

Cheers,

Cliff

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I noticed this a few months ago when sending to an AOL recipient.
> The cause was simply that my Jetstart dynamic IP is listed as
> 'residential' and residential customers shouldn't be running servers.
> Therefore AOL decided it must, of course, be spam and rejected the
> message. I now have to push all my mail through Ihug's smtp server.
> It's bullshit but short of going Jetstream, getting a static IP and
> hence more than doubling my yearly access costs, what can I do ?

Not only that, but to totally solve the conundrum you'll need a
registered domain for that fixed IP as well. More than doubling your
cost...

I.M.H.O. it's not worth the bother since it is absolutely no bloody skin
off my nose to use my ISPs SMTP as a relay (other than finding the
software to do it well at my end).

-Peter

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:05:25 +1200, R-Slicks wrote:

> I noticed this a few months ago when sending to an AOL recipient. The
> cause was simply that my Jetstart dynamic IP is listed as 'residential'
> and residential customers shouldn't be running servers. Therefore AOL
> decided it must, of course, be spam and rejected the message. I now have
> to push all my mail through Ihug's smtp server. It's bullshit but short
> of going Jetstream, getting a static IP and hence more than doubling my
> yearly access costs, what can I do ?

For starters, trim your followups and don't top post.

Secondly, some ISPs _ARE_ offering Jetstart with static IPs. It can be
done, but not with Xtra.

Look for an ISP whose tech support desk have $CLUE when you ask them curly
questions.

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:03:51 +1200, Lennier wrote:

>> Secondly, some ISPs _ARE_ offering Jetstart with static IPs. It can be
>> done, but not with Xtra.

> Which ones?

Ask around. of the ones I know were doing it before I left NZ, 2 have lost
all staff with clue and 2 are defunct.

R-Slicks

I have a domain already and use dns2go to resolve it to my IP address.
This has worked just fine for nearly two years.

--
DO NOT reply to (E-Mail Removed) - it is simply a spam catch.
You can, if you wish, try "news .at. preou .dot. com"

R-Slicks

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 02:22:30 +0000, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:05:25 +1200, R-Slicks wrote:
>
>> I noticed this a few months ago when sending to an AOL recipient. The
>> cause was simply that my Jetstart dynamic IP is listed as 'residential'
>> and residential customers shouldn't be running servers. Therefore AOL
>> decided it must, of course, be spam and rejected the message. I now have
>> to push all my mail through Ihug's smtp server. It's bullshit but short
>> of going Jetstream, getting a static IP and hence more than doubling my
>> yearly access costs, what can I do ?

>For starters, trim your followups and don't top post.
>
>Secondly, some ISPs _ARE_ offering Jetstart with static IPs. It can be
>done, but not with Xtra.
>
>Look for an ISP whose tech support desk have $CLUE when you ask them curly
>questions.

Frankly I really don't understand the problem with top posting, though
notice that this one is at the bottom. Nevertheless, Ill try to apease
the masses in future. The followup wasn't that big.
I'm with Ihug, not Xtra - please also enlighten us as to the ISPs that
offer Static IPs. I have to say, though, that despite the general
slating that Ihug get pretty much all the time I have never had a
problem with them in the 7 years I have been with them through
dial-up, Ultra and now JetStart. I have no idea how good or bad their
tech support is as I have never had a problem to call them with. Who
do you use, are you happy with them, and do they have $CLUE ?

($CLUE ? what the hell is that anyway, as I can't seem to find *any*
words starting with $ in my dictionary...)

--

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:03:06 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There is no way that they can find out. They are guessing, probably
>based on the host name as returned by reverse DNS lookup.
>
>The only information that is reliable that they can extract from the
>headers is the IP address of the sender. This they can reverse look up
>to find out if firstly the IP address *has* a host and Domain Name
>associated with it, and secondly they can make decisions based on the
>name to guess if it is a dynamic (hence residential) one.
>
>There is no way within the SMTP protocol that AOL can decide that a
>particular address is "residential". It must come from outside the
>SMTP protocol, and I don't believe that AOL has access to a list of
>iHug or Xtra "residential" addresses.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Cliff

Fairy Nuff
I just report what happened !
Either way, I can't send directly to AOL
Mind you, of course, that may not be such a loss ! <G>

--

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:56:26 +1200, Lennier wrote:

> One question...
>
> Does AOL publish all their user's email addresses on a website somewhere?

What, all 40+ million of them? (more, each user can have up to 5 addresses
active at any one time)

Do you think they need to? Spammers use dictionary attacks.