Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Upgrade to Pan 0.14.0.90 now available

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Upgrade to Pan 0.14.0.90 now available

 
 
Porkchop
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2003
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 23:29:32 +1200, Lennier wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 16:56:56 +1000, Jay wrote:
>
>>> Indeed all you are doing is expressing your opinion. Now all you need
>>> is an informed one.

>>
>> Have you used Knode at all?

>
> Yes - I don't like it. I find Pan to be superior.
>
> Lennier


To be honest I'm somewhat confused by adam /lennier regarding Pan.

So much hostility with the "You haven't used the latest PAN so what in the
hell would you know about Pan ****ing contest"

Yet Adam has no problem with lennier`s hatred with Microsoft , with
Lenniers hatred against windows which seems to based at windows98, a OS
that's over 5 year old.



At least Jay has tried Pan out which is more than you could say about
Lennier.

cheers

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
lily
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2003

"Porkchop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 23:29:32 +1200, Lennier wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 16:56:56 +1000, Jay wrote:
> >
> >>> Indeed all you are doing is expressing your opinion. Now all you need
> >>> is an informed one.
> >>
> >> Have you used Knode at all?

> >
> > Yes - I don't like it. I find Pan to be superior.
> >
> > Lennier

>
> To be honest I'm somewhat confused by adam /lennier regarding Pan.
>
> So much hostility with the "You haven't used the latest PAN so what in the
> hell would you know about Pan ****ing contest"
>
> Yet Adam has no problem with lennier`s hatred with Microsoft , with
> Lenniers hatred against windows which seems to based at windows98, a OS
> that's over 5 year old.


I'll defend Adam Warner here.
He has previously taken Lennier (under a different handle) to task over
his/her style of advocacy.


As to the issue of Pan vs Knode, its a bit "tea vs coffee"
Knode is KDE, and an online reader only. You can use leafnode with it if you
want to use it offline.
Pan is a lot more cross platform. Its an offline reader, it integrates
gtkspell.
Most users have no trouble using either, but Pan offers more tools.
Its very actively developed, and sometimes there are bugs in the latest
releases. If you can't handle that you just stay with the stable version.

The win vs lin bit is a bit OT, but
Windows as used by most users was developed as a client. The security came
with the server version.
Linux developed from servers. Its gui client function is added on.The tools
for network security are part of the kernel.
XP is better, but without shelling out $$$ for a server version, I still
can't see a way of running a WINS server and VPN combination for example.
So ironically I get full the windows network functions by using Debian with
samba and poptop
I note in passing that my inbox is filling up with the spawn of yet another
Windows virus/worm at the moment, so I'm happy to have my Windows clients
backed up on a non Windows box. Security through diversity

>
>
>
> At least Jay has tried Pan out which is more than you could say about
> Lennier.


"coffee vs tea"
Jay likes KDE cosmetics, Adam likes power tools.

>
> cheers


chez bak
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Adam Warner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2003
Hi lily,

> I'll defend Adam Warner here.


<blush> Thank you Ma'dam.
 
Reply With Quote
 
lily
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2003

"Lennier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2003.07.11.06.57.13.756805@TRACKER...
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:10:15 +1200, lily wrote:
>
> > XP is better,

>
> Than what?
>
> Of course one can say that XP is better than cp/m
>
> It is debatable as to whether XP is better than any other modern system.
>


Can't be bothered with you, sorry.
If you can't follow the context, theres not much point you trying to
participate in the thread.
Leave it to the adults.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Porkchop
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2003
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:10:15 +1200, lily wrote:
>
>
>
>> To be honest I'm somewhat confused by adam /lennier regarding Pan.
>>
>>

>
> I'll defend Adam Warner here.
> He has previously taken Lennier (under a different handle) to task over
> his/her style of advocacy.
>
>

Im not talking about style ... How can an advocate base his entire
windows knowledge on just windows98 its bloody absurd.

No wonder Lenneier thinks the RH workstation is more stable, based on his
only experience of Win98.

> As to the issue of Pan vs Knode, its a bit "tea vs coffee" Knode is KDE,
> and an online reader only. You can use leafnode with it if you want to
> use it offline.
> Pan is a lot more cross platform. Its an offline reader, it integrates
> gtkspell.
> Most users have no trouble using either, but Pan offers more tools. Its
> very actively developed, and sometimes there are bugs in the latest
> releases. If you can't handle that you just stay with the stable
> version.
>
>


Jay wouldn't be the first person to disapprove of PAN ... Adam seems to
worship PAN like he does with debian.

Adam would never be my first choice for a balanced constructive view on
either Linux or PAN, and no MAX burke wouldn't be my choice either for
Windows from this NG.


> The win vs lin bit is a bit OT, but
> Windows as used by most users was developed as a client. The security
> came with the server version.
> Linux developed from servers. Its gui client function is added on.The
> tools for network security are part of the kernel. XP is better, but
> without shelling out $$$ for a server version, I still can't see a way
> of running a WINS server and VPN combination for example. So ironically
> I get full the windows network functions by using Debian with samba and
> poptop
> I note in passing that my inbox is filling up with the spawn of yet
> another Windows virus/worm at the moment, so I'm happy to have my
> Windows clients backed up on a non Windows box. Security through
> diversity
>
>

I agree with most above , Windows 2000 /XP has been miles ahead of Linux
as a workstation. I have used redhat 6.1 through to version 8 and its been
catch-up with Windows every time.

I also note in passing .. EDS here in NZ have recently moved to using
OUTLOOK So it would seem possible to secure windows email services.

>> At least Jay has tried Pan out which is more than you could say about
>> Lennier.

>
> "coffee vs tea"
> Jay likes KDE cosmetics, Adam likes power tools.
>

and Lennier babbles about Window operating systems he has never
seen..
>
> chez bak


right back at ya .



 
Reply With Quote
 
lily
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2003

"Porkchop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:10:15 +1200, lily wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> >> To be honest I'm somewhat confused by adam /lennier regarding Pan.
> >>
> >>

> >
> > I'll defend Adam Warner here.
> > He has previously taken Lennier (under a different handle) to task over
> > his/her style of advocacy.
> >
> >

> Im not talking about style ... How can an advocate base his entire
> windows knowledge on just windows98 its bloody absurd.
>
> No wonder Lenneier thinks the RH workstation is more stable, based on his
> only experience of Win98.
>
> > As to the issue of Pan vs Knode, its a bit "tea vs coffee" Knode is KDE,
> > and an online reader only. You can use leafnode with it if you want to
> > use it offline.
> > Pan is a lot more cross platform. Its an offline reader, it integrates
> > gtkspell.
> > Most users have no trouble using either, but Pan offers more tools. Its
> > very actively developed, and sometimes there are bugs in the latest
> > releases. If you can't handle that you just stay with the stable
> > version.
> >
> >

>
> Jay wouldn't be the first person to disapprove of PAN ... Adam seems to
> worship PAN like he does with debian.
>
> Adam would never be my first choice for a balanced constructive view on
> either Linux or PAN, and no MAX burke wouldn't be my choice either for
> Windows from this NG.


I don't see the need to personalise this the way you are doing.
Seems a little immature
Pan is different to KNode, better for some things, not KDE, whatever. you
can also read news in slrn gnus mozilla sylpheed thunderbird and others,
just like there is OE MicoGravity Agent mozilla Xnews etc for Windows.
I wouldn't accept that any of these are "ten times better" than any other,
they all just organise threads of inane text banter

Regarding debian, for a NZ user, apt-get from the local mirrors rocks. Its
not a question of worship or faith, but of function and convenience.



 
Reply With Quote
 
T.N.O.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2003
Lennier wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 00:01:13 +1200, Porkchop wrote:
>
>
>>theres a clue in his book about Windows 95 not being built ontop of DOS
>>... or in anyway does windows 95 need DOS.

>
>
> Oohhh - do tell us how one starts Windows then....
>
> One types "win" into an MS-DOS prompt!
>
> Lennier
>

that doesnt work on mine, my machine doesnt have dos, unless dos now
runs happily on ntfs partitions?

 
Reply With Quote
 
T.N.O.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2003
Lennier wrote:
> Well you're obviously not running Micro$oft Windows.


I was going to respond, but I dont have the time to explain to you the
ways that you are, well not wrong, but not right either.

Good day.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lennier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2003
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 05:20:31 +1200, Porkchop wrote:

> Yet Adam has no problem with lennier`s hatred with Microsoft , with
> Lenniers hatred against windows which seems to based at windows98, a OS
> that's over 5 year old.


MS-DOS is much older than that!

Windows is a DOS programme.

Lennier

--
I specifically DENY Xtra, and Telecom NZ Ltd, and all other subsidiaries
of Telecom NZ Ltd, the right to use the contents of this digital
communication for any purpose whatsoever, whether in whole or in part -
regardless of how it is stored or transmitted through Xtra's network.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lennier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2003
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 00:38:58 +1200, Porkchop wrote:

>> Jay likes KDE cosmetics, Adam likes power tools.
>>

> and Lennier babbles about Window operating systems he has never seen.


No - I still have one box which can run Win4.1 for legacy purposes only.

I have two other boxen which run various distributions of GNU/Linux, and a
third which once resurrected (needs a new HDD) will run Debian 3 as a
network server.

Lennier

--
I specifically DENY Xtra, and Telecom NZ Ltd, and all other subsidiaries
of Telecom NZ Ltd, the right to use the contents of this digital
communication for any purpose whatsoever, whether in whole or in part -
regardless of how it is stored or transmitted through Xtra's network.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Netflix "watch now", now pan and scan mk DVD Video 1 02-11-2007 01:16 PM
Auto-connect Bluetooth PAN =?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?= Wireless Networking 2 05-09-2005 10:18 PM
Upgrade to Pan 0.14.0.90 now available Lennier NZ Computing 5 11-22-2003 01:43 PM
Re: Upgrade to Pan 0.14.0.90 now available AD. NZ Computing 1 07-09-2003 10:07 AM
Re: Upgrade to Pan 0.14.0.90 now available mdew NZ Computing 1 07-09-2003 10:06 AM



Advertisments