Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Port test utility

Port test utility

Adam Banks

I wonder whether the collective brains here can help me out.

I'm having some difficulty pinholing my router for some internet
games. The more common ones (TFC, CStrike, Wolf ET, Bf1942) all work
fine - but some of my games that use odd ports are giving me grief.

Is there a client/server type of utility that can test whether packets
are leaving/getting out/getting in? A sort of enhanced "ping" utility
that will accept a port number and TCP or UDP parameter?

Winblows 98/2k/XP compatible.

Adam.

Nicholas Sherlock

"Adam Banks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I wonder whether the collective brains here can help me out.
>
> I'm having some difficulty pinholing my router for some internet
> games. The more common ones (TFC, CStrike, Wolf ET, Bf1942) all work
> fine - but some of my games that use odd ports are giving me grief.
>
> Is there a client/server type of utility that can test whether packets
> are leaving/getting out/getting in? A sort of enhanced "ping" utility
> that will accept a port number and TCP or UDP parameter?
>
> Winblows 98/2k/XP compatible.

You'd need to put a server sitting somewhere outside your network on the
internet that accepted connections on any port and replied to you for such
an application to exist. I'm not sure that you can listen on every port
without using a low-level network driver.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Adam Banks

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:06:32 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Adam Banks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>> Is there a client/server type of utility that can test whether packets
>> are leaving/getting out/getting in? A sort of enhanced "ping" utility
>> that will accept a port number and TCP or UDP parameter?

>You'd need to put a server sitting somewhere outside your network on the
>internet that accepted connections on any port and replied to you for such
>an application to exist. I'm not sure that you can listen on every port
>without using a low-level network driver.

Maybe not *every* port <g> but just the odd couple you're trying to
analyse.

Adam.

Nicholas Sherlock

"Adam Banks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:06:32 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"Adam Banks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

> >> Is there a client/server type of utility that can test whether packets
> >> are leaving/getting out/getting in? A sort of enhanced "ping" utility
> >> that will accept a port number and TCP or UDP parameter?

> >You'd need to put a server sitting somewhere outside your network on the
> >internet that accepted connections on any port and replied to you for

such
> >an application to exist. I'm not sure that you can listen on every port
> >without using a low-level network driver.

> Maybe not *every* port <g> but just the odd couple you're trying to
> analyse.

Easy peasy . I'll write one for you. Email me at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
and once it's done, I'll email it to you.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Jay

Adam Banks wrote:

> I wonder whether the collective brains here can help me out.
>
> I'm having some difficulty pinholing my router for some internet
> games. The more common ones (TFC, CStrike, Wolf ET, Bf1942) all work
> fine - but some of my games that use odd ports are giving me grief.
>
> Is there a client/server type of utility that can test whether packets
> are leaving/getting out/getting in? A sort of enhanced "ping" utility
> that will accept a port number and TCP or UDP parameter?
>
> Winblows 98/2k/XP compatible.

Enable logging on your firewall software.

Adam Banks

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:16:45 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Easy peasy . I'll write one for you. Email me at (E-Mail Removed)
>and once it's done, I'll email it to you.

You're a gentleman and a scholar, Sir <g>. Taken to e-mail.

Adam.

Nathan Mercer

"Adam Banks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's the dreaded *hardware* firewall problem. If I had a software
> firewall sat there on a [separate] Linux box, then I suppose I'd have
> lots more options - but it's really not practical at the moment

Surely your hardware firewall runs some software tho?

Bryan McNally

I use a brilliant program from http://www.ntutility.com
Its called Active Ports. It shows all ports that internet programs or
network programs use. It helped me work out a couple of programs I needed to
find the port they worked on.

"Adam Banks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I wonder whether the collective brains here can help me out.
>
> I'm having some difficulty pinholing my router for some internet
> games. The more common ones (TFC, CStrike, Wolf ET, Bf1942) all work
> fine - but some of my games that use odd ports are giving me grief.
>
> Is there a client/server type of utility that can test whether packets
> are leaving/getting out/getting in? A sort of enhanced "ping" utility
> that will accept a port number and TCP or UDP parameter?
>
> Winblows 98/2k/XP compatible.
>
> Adam.

Bryan McNally

Try this web site instead for Active Ports.
http://www.protect-me.com/freeware.html

news:belcj3$9p7$(E-Mail Removed)...