Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: E-commerce patents

Re: E-commerce patents

Chris Mayhew

madknoxie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:madknoxie-

> [...]
> outlines a licensing model that would apply to ISPs which host
> infringing e-commerce operators and would involve paying an upfront fee
> of US$25,000 covering 25 merchants and a further US$1000 for each
> additional e-tailer it hosts. This licence type would attract a royalty
> rate of 1.15 per cent of total transaction value and 5.5USc per document
> produced.
>
> That threatens internet provider WebFarm, which hosts
> www.productsfromnz.com. Other web-hosting ISPs such as Xtra or Clearnet,
> which host hundreds more e-commerce websites, were potentially in the
> same boat.
>
> WebFarm chief executive Richard Shearer said DET's patent would apply to
> any website calculating delivery payments or offering currency
> selections, bringing thousands of operators within its scope.
>
> "They're basically trying to lay claim to the idea of providing a
> service to a customer."
>
> Shearer feared thousands of small e-commerce operators would be unable
> to afford to mount a challenge against DET's claims.
>
> The Internet Society was looking at DET's patents, but executive
> director Peter Macauley doubted the licence demands would stand up to
> legal scrutiny.
>
> "In my experience events like these are usually someone out to make a
> quick buck."
>
> Matt Adams, a partner at intellectual Property Law firm A.J. Park, said
> DET's patents may be successfully challenged and made invalid.
>
> He said patents were often granted because examiners were unable to find
> research material that would invalidate them.
>
> "If anyone can find any documents which describe the system or evidence
> of its commercial use in New Zealand prior to December 1997, that's good
> grounds for invalidating the patent," he said.
>
> The men behind DET's far-reaching patents, Ed Pool and Douglas Mauer,
> claim to be the first inventors to "computerise the ability to do
> international business transactions".
>
> The patent application originally drew Congressional objections in the
> US, but was granted last year.
>
> Then, the Wall Street Journal reported that DET had been granted a
> controversial patent by the US Patent Office that "purports to cover any
> computerised process for automating international-commerce paperwork".
>
> DET Montreal-based president Bruce Lagerman said the firm was just going
> after licensing revenue it was entitled to. It also had a "licensing
> programme" in place in the US.
>
> "We're not going after the little guy, we're not interested in
> enforcement proceedings unless we have to," he said.
>
> In an e-mail to Herald IT editor Chris Barton in October, Pool said DET
> had approached e-commerce software vendors it saw as likely licensees
> about the possibility of reaching agreement to build a "standardised
> platform which can be widely dispersed and shared". Nothing had come of
> that, forcing DET to pursue "selective enforcements".

Here is the NZ website set up to fight it

http://www.fightthepatent.co.nz/

Some background info on the patent which makes good reading

http://www.fightthepatent.co.nz/background.asp

This could be an interesting battle.

--
Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

Nicholas Sherlock

"Chris Mayhew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SD1Pa.3908$(E-Mail Removed)...
<snip 7kb of post>

> Here is the NZ website set up to fight it
>
> http://www.fightthepatent.co.nz/
>
> Some background info on the patent which makes good reading
>
> http://www.fightthepatent.co.nz/background.asp
>
> This could be an interesting battle.

FFS learn to snip!

Nicholas Sherlock

Howard

Chris Mayhew wrote:

> Here is the NZ website set up to fight it
>
> http://www.fightthepatent.co.nz/
>
> Some background info on the patent which makes good reading

Interesting. I wonder whether it's all OS users, or just the free as in
speech ones that care storngly about this issue. I would have tought the
later, so it was interesting to see this error message when you click on the
links on that page.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]String or binary data would
be truncated.

/click.asp, line 41

lily

"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:beiqid$ibv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Chris Mayhew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:SD1Pa.3908$(E-Mail Removed)...
> <snip 7kb of post>
> >
> > Here is the NZ website set up to fight it
> >
> > http://www.fightthepatent.co.nz/
> >
> > Some background info on the patent which makes good reading
> >
> > http://www.fightthepatent.co.nz/background.asp
> >
> > This could be an interesting battle.

> FFS learn to snip!

I can write a program to do that for you !!!! <pant> <pant>

> Nicholas Sherlock

lily

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Chris Mayhew wrote
> > > FFS learn to snip!

> > try learning some manners young man

> He wasn't impolite, he simply suggested that you "learn to snip!", a
> valuable skill to have, and one that you seemed to need.

FFS == bad manners

T.N.O.

lily wrote:
> FFS == bad manners

I suppose it depends on how easily people get offended... personally, I
saw nothing wrong with the ffs, but others have.

I think that he really does need to learn to snip, save what little
bandwidth the poor dial up users have.

Chris Mayhew

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3f0e9558$(E-Mail Removed):

> lily wrote:
>> FFS == bad manners
>>

> I suppose it depends on how easily people get offended... personally, I
> saw nothing wrong with the ffs, but others have.
>
> I think that he really does need to learn to snip, save what little
> bandwidth the poor dial up users have.

You and Nicholas seem to have overlooked the possibility that it was a
simple oversight on my part (not with standing your ideas on how much
should be sniped from a post, which might vary from person to person and
from post to post).

Both of your reactions might be more likened to acts of desparation as the
result of being faced with a habitual "non sniper" raving on about nothing,
calling people names, etc. etc. rather than someone who finaly forgot to
snip out some text from a post that might have saved 2 or 3 KB in the size
of the post which would have had a minimal impact on someones dial up
bandwidth but being the purist's you have made yourselves out to be you
would probably say that 2 KB was 2 KB.

Considering some of the CRAP that gets posted in this NG I think my
"ofending" is at the lower end of the scale a FACT that most people would
have taken into account before launching themselves into a frenzy of
swearing and condersending remarks.

You have most likely wasted more bandwidth complaining about this than what
I "wasted" from my simple over sight in the first place.

Perhaps you will now complain that I'm not using a spell checker but I'm
sure someone can write a program for that !

--
Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

Gavin Tunney

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:30:51 +1200, "Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Chris Mayhew wrote:
>
>> Here is the NZ website set up to fight it
>>
>> http://www.fightthepatent.co.nz/
>>
>> Some background info on the patent which makes good reading

>Interesting. I wonder whether it's all OS users, or just the free as in
>speech ones that care storngly about this issue. I would have tought the
>later, so it was interesting to see this error message when you click on the
>links on that page.
>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e57'
>
>[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]String or binary data would
>be truncated.
>
>/click.asp, line 41

Howard one could very easily take offence at your comments here. Don't
for a minute think that people who care about free speech are just
those who don't use Microsoft products. If you truly believe it's that
simple then you just haven't got a clue about people mate.

You might like to think about many of the people who push the open
source barrow and other causes. They might claim to be defending free
speech, but the only 'speech' they condone or accept is the one that
agrees with them.....which doesn't spell "free" in my dictionary.

As for the patents issue. It's just a money grab, a modern-day gold
rush. Rampant greed at its finest, and any reasonable person finds it
abhorrent. It also demeans & diminishes the real reasons and benefits
of having patents.

Gavin

AVR core and patents avishay VHDL 0 06-09-2005 01:10 PM
semi OT:Microsoft patents tabbing through a web page kayodeok HTML 8 09-09-2004 01:15 AM
Patents Unleashed and the future of Java Programming --- Java 30 05-26-2004 03:36 PM
M$oft patents the wheel Andy Dingley XML 1 01-24-2004 03:49 PM
Amazon Patents Microsoft's DataGrid Inline Editing Feature.... nospam ASP .Net 1 09-18-2003 04:57 AM

Advertisments