Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Which email clients support HTML email

Re: Which email clients support HTML email

Howard

Alan wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to get a rough idea of which email clients support HTML
> email, and which don't. Comments or links please?

A point which hasn't been made yet is that many of client that supposedly do
support HTML email may be behind firewalls/processors that strip out
images/attachments/mime enclosures etc. They only real way to know is to
send your clients a test HTML email are ask them whether it looks OK.

Allistar

Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

> "Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wM1Pa.3914$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Howard wrote:

>> > A point which hasn't been made yet is that many of client that

> supposedly
>> > do support HTML email may be behind firewalls/processors that strip out
>> > images/attachments/mime enclosures etc. They only real way to know is
>> > to send your clients a test HTML email are ask them whether it looks
>> > OK.

>> Also some email programs who supposedly support HTML don't support it

> fully,
>> or have buggy implementations of it.
>>
>> An example is that I send out an email that had a semi-transparent image

> (so
>> that the background image was partially visible) and the only email
>> client that rendered it correctly that I found was Mozilla. Outlook and
>> Outlook Express did not know how to render it correctly, so I had to
>> resort to a gif image with tansparency to satisfy those two main
>> standards non-compliant email clients.

> Since when has transparency been part of any HTML standard? Are you
> talking about semi-tranparent .PNGs?

Yes. (Well, technically it's not an HTML standard but it is a WC3 standard).
One that has been around for quite a while and is STILL not implmented in
certain popular browsers/mail clients).

> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock

Allistar.

Allistar

Lennier wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:38:27 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
>
>> Since when has transparency been part of any HTML standard? Are you
>> talking about semi-tranparent .PNGs?

> Neither OE or IE support the alpha channel in PNG images.
>
> And until recently, neither did Mozilla.
>
> And besides, Photoshop's support of PNG images is best considered to be
> rudimentary.
>
> Lennier

The Gimp creates transparent/semi-transparent PNGs with no troubles.

Allistar.

Lennier

--
I specifically DENY Xtra, and Telecom NZ Ltd, and all other subsidiaries
of Telecom NZ Ltd, the right to use the contents of this digital