Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MSN messenger...

MSN messenger...

Acetyldehyde

My latest install of messenger 5 opens my outlook mailbox instead of logging
me into my @msn.com web mail.
Any idaes why?

Russell Smithies

"Acetyldehyde" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XESOa.3791$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My latest install of messenger 5 opens my outlook mailbox instead of

logging
> me into my @msn.com web mail.
> Any idaes why?

messenger is always doing weird ****.
I'm using Trillian (which does messenger stuff) instead and having no
problems.
Trillian also manages icq, irc and yahoo message thingys.

Russell

Nicholas Sherlock

"Acetyldehyde" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XESOa.3791$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My latest install of messenger 5 opens my outlook mailbox instead of

logging
> me into my @msn.com web mail.
> Any idaes why?

Go into Internet Explorer, Tools->Internet Options->Programs->Change your
email to Hotmail/whatever rather than OE.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Nathan Mercer

Trillian is also full of vulnerabilities...

Acetyldehyde

Actually, I was getting Windows Messenger (native to XP) mixed up with MSN
messenger.
MS multimedia keyboard opens Windows Messenger by default.

"Acetyldehyde" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XESOa.3791$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My latest install of messenger 5 opens my outlook mailbox instead of

logging
> me into my @msn.com web mail.
> Any idaes why?

Nathan Mercer

"David Hallett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bei803$3bc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Nathan Mercer" wrote in a message news:3f0c9e8d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Trillian is also full of vulnerabilities...

> Haha, just like Microsoft software - right Nathan?

Welcome to the reality of the real world.
I don't see people regularly finding vulns in MSN Messenger like I do with
Trillian.

Why would I use an IM client that has known vulns?

Nathan Mercer

"m00se" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f0cb346$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nathan Mercer wrote:
> > Trillian is also full of vulnerabilities...
> >

> And MSN Messenger never has been...

I didn't say that, MSN Messenger is not automagically immune from vulns.
But take the blinkers off and look at the history of MSN Messenger compared
to Trillian.

Trillian is regularly on BUGTRAQ with vulns. The most recent one in the
last couple of days, which is a remote DoS. Luckily its only a DoS and not
a buffer overflow like some of the earlier ones...

Nicholas Sherlock

"Nathan Mercer" <nathan@ldsnfljkdslfjndSPAMSUCKS!!mcs.co.nz> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "David Hallett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bei803$3bc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Nathan Mercer" wrote in a message news:3f0c9e8d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Trillian is also full of vulnerabilities...

> > Haha, just like Microsoft software - right Nathan?

> Welcome to the reality of the real world.
> I don't see people regularly finding vulns in MSN Messenger like I do with
> Trillian.
>
> Why would I use an IM client that has known vulns?

I don't think one has ever been found in MSN.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

k y l e

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kyle is Currently Headbanging To:
Broken English - Theme Song
"Matthew Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LhnPa.75976$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use trillian and haven't had any big issues.
>
> As far as the "Person is typing a message".... who really cares? I

certainly
> dont, its a feature thats not important to me.

I certainly do. On icq they could be ****ing about and you wouldn't know
what the hell they are doing. Then suddenly, 10 minutes later, a reply
springs back. At least on MSN you have an inkling that they are there typing
a reply. Course having a webcam is even better, there's no hiding then )

Matthew Strickland

> I certainly do. On icq they could be ****ing about and you wouldn't know
> what the hell they are doing. Then suddenly, 10 minutes later, a reply
> springs back. At least on MSN you have an inkling that they are there

typing
> a reply. Course having a webcam is even better, there's no hiding then )

Mind you gone are the days of sitting chatting on the net for hours with
500+ people on my contact list (that was some years ago)

Now its just a few friends, now and then... So to me its not important. Im
always doing something else and not waiting for a message. Using it in terms
of business yes mabye an advantage.

My friends handle it, since im a fast typa anyway and you can only type so
much in a IM.

Matt

-------

Whats wrong with a little competition? - Make a change.