Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: 4 questions about Maxnet Jetstart ADSL

Re: 4 questions about Maxnet Jetstart ADSL

Nick

On 8 Jul 2003 18:54:39 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (John Doe) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have the following questions about Maxnet :
>
>1) Is their news server running reliably now ? Looks like it used to
>be quite chaotic, didn't it ?

The news service is a joke. "Chaotic" is absolutely the right word
there. This was their reply when I asked them why their news service
is so crap:

"As we do not have a significant customer interest in our Newsgroup
service, we are currently unable to supply a dedicated News service.
We apologise for the inconvenience."

>I am going to call Maxnet anyway but as usual users' opinions are
>welcome...
>
>Thanks for any information.

When I joined Maxnet it said "unlimited" traffic but with considerable
amount of traffic shaping like for FTP, Kazaa etc. I thought fair
enough so I tried them out. Yes, the FTP and P2P TRULY SUCK! You might
as well go back to 56K if you do a lot of downloading, but I stick
with them for a few months cause I cannot think of any ISP willing to
give "unlimited" ADSL without traffic shaping. About 2 months after I
joined them, they change the account to 12GB download limit. I thought
fine, it's still 2GB more than what others would usually offer. But
one would think that with the limit in place the traffic shaping would
at least be loosen, not to mention there should be almost none.
Maxnet, with all the wisdom, decided to keep the same damn thing in
place and thus providing same crap connection for downloading.

Bugger them.

Mainlander

says...
> When I joined Maxnet it said "unlimited" traffic but with considerable
> amount of traffic shaping like for FTP, Kazaa etc. I thought fair
> enough so I tried them out. Yes, the FTP and P2P TRULY SUCK! You might
> as well go back to 56K if you do a lot of downloading, but I stick
> with them for a few months cause I cannot think of any ISP willing to
> give "unlimited" ADSL without traffic shaping. About 2 months after I
> joined them, they change the account to 12GB download limit. I thought
> fine, it's still 2GB more than what others would usually offer. But
> one would think that with the limit in place the traffic shaping would
> at least be loosen, not to mention there should be almost none.
> Maxnet, with all the wisdom, decided to keep the same damn thing in
> place and thus providing same crap connection for downloading.

Well actually as you say practically every ISP in NZ traffic shapes on
Jetstart(er) for the simple reason that upload bandwidth on this product
is restricted and has to be allocated fairly amongst all the users.

Nick

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:20:05 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>says...
>> When I joined Maxnet it said "unlimited" traffic but with considerable
>> amount of traffic shaping like for FTP, Kazaa etc. I thought fair
>> enough so I tried them out. Yes, the FTP and P2P TRULY SUCK! You might
>> as well go back to 56K if you do a lot of downloading, but I stick
>> with them for a few months cause I cannot think of any ISP willing to
>> give "unlimited" ADSL without traffic shaping. About 2 months after I
>> joined them, they change the account to 12GB download limit. I thought
>> fine, it's still 2GB more than what others would usually offer. But
>> one would think that with the limit in place the traffic shaping would
>> at least be loosen, not to mention there should be almost none.
>> Maxnet, with all the wisdom, decided to keep the same damn thing in
>> place and thus providing same crap connection for downloading.

>Well actually as you say practically every ISP in NZ traffic shapes on
>Jetstart(er) for the simple reason that upload bandwidth on this product
>is restricted and has to be allocated fairly amongst all the users.

Umm... I'm talking about "download" traffic only. FTP or Kazaa with
Maxnet's Jetstart don't get more than 5kB/s 99.99% of the time. Most
of the time Kazaa will just sit there doing ~1kB/s. Pathetic.

Peter

this quote is from Nick of Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:19 :
> Umm... I'm talking about "download" traffic only. FTP or Kazaa with
> Maxnet's Jetstart don't get more than 5kB/s 99.99% of the time. Most
> of the time Kazaa will just sit there doing ~1kB/s. Pathetic.

Yes, I think there is something in the T&Cs about limiting traffic for
people using P2P.
Looks like you need to move to another ISP.

Peter

Craig Whitmore

"Matthew G Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Seriously tho guys.
>
> Jetstart is the Achilles heal of most ISP's . Put it this way.
>
> You go to Orcon or Telecom and buy Carrier grade bandwidth, its $200 per

64K
> ( Market average ) . So to give every JS customer 128K of international
> bandwidth costs $400 + Gst , ISP gets $35 ... You do the Math .
>
> Most ISP's operate a separate managed gateways for Jetstart customers. P2P
> traffic is a killer. Kazza on port 80 requires some pretty cool hardware

> shape it down.

There is some layer7 QOS stuff out now (http://l7-filter.sourceforge.net/)
which will do exactly that. I have not used it yet, but it looks promising.

Thanks
Craig

Two facts about Maxnet JF NZ Computing 1 03-01-2004 05:18 AM
'Maxnet' internet users Snoopy NZ Computing 23 02-10-2004 05:07 AM
Maxnet and DC/P2P XPD NZ Computing 7 09-26-2003 10:40 PM
Re: 4 questions about Maxnet Jetstart ADSL Alastair Johnson NZ Computing 3 07-12-2003 07:26 PM
Re: 4 questions about Maxnet Jetstart ADSL Peter NZ Computing 1 07-09-2003 07:55 AM

Advertisments