Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Sharing internet to Xp wireless

Sharing internet to Xp wireless

Harty

Hello all

I am wanting to do this at home,

From PC #1 (Win 2k pro) share the DSL internet to PC #2 (tablet PC, XP pro )
via wireless, and eventually to PC #3 (Win 2k) wireless too.

Are you able to give me an idea of equipment needed and methods to do this?
I would like to do it myself for the experience, also your recommendations
on equipment (DSL modem, wireless etc). Or perhaps a helpful URL to guide
me.

Much thanks!

Wajihy [MSFT]

you need first to enable ICS (internet connection sharing on the win2k Pro)
here is a website to help you :
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...omenet/ics.asp

you will need an Access Point for the wireless network:
here is a site on how to set up the wireless network:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...networking.asp

for the hardware it depends on the money you are willing to pay

--

This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights
"Harty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vdxOa.3590$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all
>
> I am wanting to do this at home,
>
> From PC #1 (Win 2k pro) share the DSL internet to PC #2 (tablet PC, XP

pro )
> via wireless, and eventually to PC #3 (Win 2k) wireless too.
>
> Are you able to give me an idea of equipment needed and methods to do

this?
> I would like to do it myself for the experience, also your recommendations
> on equipment (DSL modem, wireless etc). Or perhaps a helpful URL to guide
> me.
>
> Much thanks!

aaron

Your best bet is to get a DSL router with a wireless access point. You can
get one for @$100. This will give you a little added security also. Hook the
DSL modem to the router/access point>Then hook your machines into the
router.

hth,
aaron
"Wajihy [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> you need first to enable ICS (internet connection sharing on the win2k

Pro)
> here is a website to help you :
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...omenet/ics.asp
>
> you will need an Access Point for the wireless network:
> here is a site on how to set up the wireless network:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...networking.asp

> for the hardware it depends on the money you are willing to pay
>
> --
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights
> "Harty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vdxOa.3590$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello all
> >
> > I am wanting to do this at home,
> >
> > From PC #1 (Win 2k pro) share the DSL internet to PC #2 (tablet PC, XP

> pro )
> > via wireless, and eventually to PC #3 (Win 2k) wireless too.
> >
> > Are you able to give me an idea of equipment needed and methods to do

> this?
> > I would like to do it myself for the experience, also your

recommendations
> > on equipment (DSL modem, wireless etc). Or perhaps a helpful URL to

guide
> > me.
> >
> > Much thanks!

Nathan Mercer

"Harty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vdxOa.3590$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all
>
> I am wanting to do this at home,
>
> From PC #1 (Win 2k pro) share the DSL internet to PC #2 (tablet PC, XP

pro )
> via wireless, and eventually to PC #3 (Win 2k) wireless too.
>
> Are you able to give me an idea of equipment needed and methods to do

this?
> I would like to do it myself for the experience, also your recommendations
> on equipment (DSL modem, wireless etc). Or perhaps a helpful URL to guide
> me.

How have you got your DSL connection hooked up now?

Harty

"Nathan Mercer" <nathan@**(*(*IHATESPAM*(**(K!!!mcs.co.nz> wrote in message
news:43SOa.74478$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Harty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vdxOa.3590$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello all
> >
> > I am wanting to do this at home,
> >
> > From PC #1 (Win 2k pro) share the DSL internet to PC #2 (tablet PC, XP

> pro )
> > via wireless, and eventually to PC #3 (Win 2k) wireless too.
> >
> > Are you able to give me an idea of equipment needed and methods to do

> this?
> > I would like to do it myself for the experience, also your

recommendations
> > on equipment (DSL modem, wireless etc). Or perhaps a helpful URL to

guide
> > me.

> How have you got your DSL connection hooked up now?

I have decided to get an extyernal ethernet DSL modem, Dynalink RTA220.

I hope that is a good choice!!

Nathan Mercer

"Harty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:g8aPa.3996$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How have you got your DSL connection hooked up now?
> >

> I have decided to get an extyernal ethernet DSL modem, Dynalink RTA220.
>
> I hope that is a good choice!!

Doesn't look like that device does Wireless - its probably going to be
cheaper to get your wireless AP at the same time as your modem.

Another option is to get a standalone access point, or alternatively you
could get an internal (PCI) wireless card, put it in one of your machines
and then use Windows XP to bridge the wireless and wired networks
together...

lily

"Nathan Mercer" <nathan@**(*(*IHATESPAM*(**(K!!!mcs.co.nz> wrote in message
news:3uaPa.75415$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Harty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:g8aPa.3996$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > How have you got your DSL connection hooked up now?
> > >

> > I have decided to get an extyernal ethernet DSL modem, Dynalink RTA220.
> >
> > I hope that is a good choice!!

> Doesn't look like that device does Wireless - its probably going to be
> cheaper to get your wireless AP at the same time as your modem.
>
> Another option is to get a standalone access point, or alternatively you
> could get an internal (PCI) wireless card, put it in one of your machines
> and then use Windows XP to bridge the wireless and wired networks
> together...

You don't need to tie up your expensive XP box like that
There is an impressive Netgear product out there which integrates all those
functions.
Ideal for cable modem customers.
I saw it in Oz for ~$250
http://www.netgear.com/products/prod...odID=151&view=
or even this one with the ADSL built in
http://www.netgear.com/products/prod...odID=165&view=

Nathan Mercer

"lily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MooPa.4168$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You don't need to tie up your expensive XP box like that
> There is an impressive Netgear product out there which integrates all

those
> functions.
> Ideal for cable modem customers.
> I saw it in Oz for ~$250
> http://www.netgear.com/products/prod...odID=151&view=
> or even this one with the ADSL built in
> http://www.netgear.com/products/prod...odID=165&view=

That's nice, but if its adsl/wireless/switch in one that the original poster
wants, then I think you would be hard pressed to find a better unit than the
Dynalink RTA300W http://www.dynalink.co.nz/products/rta300w.htm almost
solely because it supports UPnP and because it _works_

RRP $569, not sure what the street price is

(I own no Dynalink or Askey stock, I'm just speaking the truth - every other
vendor I suggest you support UPnP)

lily

"Nathan Mercer" <nathan@**(*(*IHATESPAM*(**(K!!!mcs.co.nz> wrote in message
news:IjuPa.76330$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "lily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:MooPa.4168$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You don't need to tie up your expensive XP box like that
> > There is an impressive Netgear product out there which integrates all

> those
> > functions.
> > Ideal for cable modem customers.
> > I saw it in Oz for ~$250
> > http://www.netgear.com/products/prod...odID=151&view=
> > or even this one with the ADSL built in
> > http://www.netgear.com/products/prod...odID=165&view=

> That's nice, but if its adsl/wireless/switch in one that the original

poster
> wants, then I think you would be hard pressed to find a better unit than

the
> Dynalink RTA300W http://www.dynalink.co.nz/products/rta300w.htm almost
> solely because it supports UPnP and because it _works_
>
> RRP $569, not sure what the street price is
>
> (I own no Dynalink or Askey stock, I'm just speaking the truth - every

other
> vendor I suggest you support UPnP)

Always pleased to see more options out there, thanks for your contribution.
What would the actual advantage of the day to day function of this UPnP be?

lily

"Nathan Mercer" <nathan@**(*(*IHATESPAM*(**(K!!!mcs.co.nz> wrote in message
newsyIPa.76979$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "lily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:SAvPa.4280$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Dynalink RTA300W http://www.dynalink.co.nz/products/rta300w.htm almost
> > > solely because it supports UPnP and because it _works_
> > >
> > > RRP $569, not sure what the street price is
> > >
> > > (I own no Dynalink or Askey stock, I'm just speaking the truth - every

> > other
> > > vendor I suggest you support UPnP)
> > >

> > Always pleased to see more options out there, thanks for your

> contribution.
> > What would the actual advantage of the day to day function of this UPnP

> be?
>
> UPnP is needed because many protocols out there aren't NAT friendly (ie
> won't work with most people's DSL because most people here in NZ are

forced

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...ort/upnp01.asp
> http://www.upnp.org/

Thanks
I see Netgear is a member of the upnp organisation.
Can you tell me if their products comply ?