Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Breaking in IE6

Reply
Thread Tools

Breaking in IE6

 
 
Adrienne Boswell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2008
Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.

I have been playing with conditional comments, but obviously don't know
enough to get this thing working correctly.

Thanks in advance. I hate IE... no can't use hate... I strongly dislike IE
.... ah, nuts! I hate IE.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
Please respond to the group so others can share

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
UKuser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2008
On 4 Jan, 06:32, Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Could someone take a look athttp://ethicsproject.org/beta/(IE6). The
> container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
> modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.
>
> I have been playing with conditional comments, but obviously don't know
> enough to get this thing working correctly.
>
> Thanks in advance. I hate IE... no can't use hate... I strongly dislike IE
> ... ah, nuts! I hate IE.
>
> --
> Adrienne Boswell at Home
> Arbpen Web Site Design Serviceshttp://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
> Please respond to the group so others can share


Had a quick look but can't quickly see my way around - but it looks
like your right panel is too wide which has pushed it onto a new line.
Play with the width and I think it might fix it.

A
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gregor Kofler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2008
Adrienne Boswell meinte:
> Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
> container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
> modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.


Perhaps one or two extra pixels in father's width will already do the
job - I seem to remember, that I ran into a similar problem once with a
pixel-exact layout.

> Thanks in advance. I hate IE... no can't use hate... I strongly dislike IE
> ... ah, nuts! I hate IE.


Perhaps not because of your your particular problem, but in general - yes.

Gregor


--
http://photo.gregorkofler.at ::: Landschafts- und Reisefotografie
http://web.gregorkofler.com ::: meine JS-Spielwiese
http://www.image2d.com ::: Bildagentur für den alpinen Raum
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2008
Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
> container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
> modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.
>
> I have been playing with conditional comments, but obviously don't know
> enough to get this thing working correctly.
>
> Thanks in advance. I hate IE... no can't use hate... I strongly dislike IE
> ... ah, nuts! I hate IE.
>

Well I assume it's IE doubling margin bug on floats. If you look at the
navbar's left margin you will see that it is not 10px but 20px and now
your content will not fit within container_mother 810px. The problem
pixel-perfect designs, I'd put more slop in the container DIVs. Adding
another 10 or 20px won't show since you do not have to match the width
to some fix image or anything.

BTW, did notice, me here stuck on dialup, that the huddle image took
some time to load. It's 85Kb was easily compressible without distortion
to 14Kb.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2008
In article <93eb8$477e497c$40cba7ae$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> > Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
> > container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
> > modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.


In FF and Safari too the "#container" div goes below the
navigation. Moving one of the last bunch of </div>s to just above
the footer would fix that. But perhaps you don't mean quite this.
I might have to fire up this winbox of mine to look in IE6.

The page looks nice... btw. (I get the feeling it could be
tweaked to fit in 800px wide without scrollbars).

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2008
dorayme wrote:
> In article <93eb8$477e497c$40cba7ae$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>>> Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
>>> container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
>>> modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.

>
> In FF and Safari too the "#container" div goes below the
> navigation. Moving one of the last bunch of </div>s to just above
> the footer would fix that. But perhaps you don't mean quite this.
> I might have to fire up this winbox of mine to look in IE6.
>
> The page looks nice... btw. (I get the feeling it could be
> tweaked to fit in 800px wide without scrollbars).
>


I guess I really wasn't worth quoting, eh?

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2008
In article <3edd2$477e8cee$40cba7c4$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
> > In article <93eb8$477e497c$40cba7ae$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> >>> Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
> >>> container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
> >>> modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.

> >
> > In FF and Safari too the "#container" div goes below the
> > navigation. Moving one of the last bunch of </div>s to just above
> > the footer would fix that. But perhaps you don't mean quite this.
> > I might have to fire up this winbox of mine to look in IE6.
> >
> > The page looks nice... btw. (I get the feeling it could be
> > tweaked to fit in 800px wide without scrollbars).
> >

>
> I guess I really wasn't worth quoting, eh?


Oh hell, have I stuffed up? Sorry Jonathan, I had only just woke
up and was more than usually full of myself. You see, I had spent
the whole night dreaming of me...

You are always worth quoting. I was wanting to wait till I had
checked my IE6 before saying something about your intelligent
suggestions. How am I going? Should I keep talking?

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2008
dorayme wrote:

> You are always worth quoting. I was wanting to wait till I had
> checked my IE6 before saying something about your intelligent
> suggestions. How am I going? Should I keep talking?
>


<smile>

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Moe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2008
On 01/03/08 11:32 pm, Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
> container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
> modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.
>

The usual reason is that IE6 thinks a column is too wide. Since you have
a lot of fixed width stuff, do the math. Be sure to include margin,
padding and borders.
Another option is to float the main column too.

The W3C validator does not like your DTD.

--
jmm (hyphen) list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2008
Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Could someone take a look at http://ethicsproject.org/beta/ (IE6). The
> container div is going below the navigation. It is working correctly in
> modern browsers, but I need to make it work for IE6.


Yes.

Try floating: left both the nav and the main
content. (instead of float right).

On a side note, it looks like you've gotten a little div happy.

Nice triad color scheme!

Jeff

> I have been playing with conditional comments, but obviously don't know
> enough to get this thing working correctly.
>
> Thanks in advance. I hate IE... no can't use hate... I strongly dislike IE
> ... ah, nuts! I hate IE.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AJAX problem: slow response using IE6 on Win2000 versus IE6 on XP Pugi! Javascript 0 02-05-2007 10:34 AM
IE6 SP1 rendering vs IE6 SP2 rendering Peter Mount HTML 4 01-31-2006 08:01 AM
Looking for a breaking news rss feed that really contains breaking news Amy XML 0 02-22-2005 06:31 PM
Bug in IE6 , cant remove ie6 to replace Ockerr Computer Support 2 01-21-2005 04:01 PM
Just one ie6 template that works with ie6!? Ivor O'Connor HTML 4 11-25-2003 09:16 PM



Advertisments