Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > USB help

USB help

vicktorio@gmail.com

Hi there,

I want to design a Visual C++(or atleast a C++) USB HID GUI. The
problem is that I don't know much about USB or even developing
applications with it. So what I need is something to help me get
started. Maybe some beginner articles, tutorials or even books and
source code. Thanks in advance

~Vicktor

red floyd

> Hi there,
>
> I want to design a Visual C++(or atleast a C++) USB HID GUI. The
> problem is that I don't know much about USB or even developing
> applications with it. So what I need is something to help me get
> started. Maybe some beginner articles, tutorials or even books and
> source code. Thanks in advance

Several things.

1. You're putting the cart before the horse. How do you know that VC is
the best tool? Perhaps VB, VC#, etc... might be better.

2. C++ has no concept of: USB, HID, GUI. You must ask in a platform
specific forum.

3. If you don't know USB, how do you know know what you need to put
into your GUI?

Followups set to more appropriate groups.

Victor Bazarov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I want to design a Visual C++(or atleast a C++) USB HID GUI.

OK.

> The
> problem is that I don't know much about USB or even developing
> applications with it. So what I need is something to help me get
> started. Maybe some beginner articles, tutorials or even books and
> source code. Thanks in advance

You should post your question to the newsgroup where USB is on
topic, like the newsgroup dedicated to your OS. C++ _language_
has no means to control hardware, it's all done using the means
available in your OS, through your OS programming libraries.

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.c++:

> Hi there,
>
> I want to design a Visual C++(or atleast a C++) USB HID GUI. The
> problem is that I don't know much about USB or even developing
> applications with it. So what I need is something to help me get
> started. Maybe some beginner articles, tutorials or even books and
> source code. Thanks in advance
>
> ~Vicktor

The C++ standard doesn't mention anything about USB, however there
are C++ communities built up dedicated to portable USB programming.

To achieve portable USB programming, they produce a "cross-platform
library" which people can use in developing a USB application which
will run on the likes of Windows, Linux, Mac, Playstation 3.

There's currently no newsgroup in place for discussing cross-platform
programming in C++, which is why I've proposed the creation of
comp.lang.c++.cross-platform. Voting should start in the next day or two
(there's a load of red tape crap at the minute).

I'd appreciate if you'd vote.

--
Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

--
Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

James Kanze

On 5 Ян, 21:34, "Tomás Ó hÉilidhe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.c++:
>
> > Hi there,

> > I want to design a Visual C++(or atleast a C++) USB HID GUI. The
> > problem is that I don't know much about USB or even developing
> > applications with it. So what I need is something to help me get
> > started. Maybe some beginner articles, tutorials or even books and
> > source code. Thanks in advance

> > ~Vicktor

> The C++ standard doesn't mention anything about USB, however there
> are C++ communities built up dedicated to portable USB programming.
>
> To achieve portable USB programming, they produce a "cross-platform
> library" which people can use in developing a USB application which
> will run on the likes of Windows, Linux, Mac, Playstation 3.
>
> There's currently no newsgroup in place for discussing cross-platform
> programming in C++, which is why I've proposed the creation of
> comp.lang.c++.cross-platform. Voting should start in the next day or two
> (there's a load of red tape crap at the minute).
>
> I'd appreciate if you'd vote.
>
> --
> Tomás Ó hÉilidhe
>
> --
> Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

So where do I vote?
~Vicktor

Victor Bazarov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On 5 ??, 21:34, "Tomás Ó hÉilidhe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> [..]
>> There's currently no newsgroup in place for discussing cross-platform
>> programming in C++, which is why I've proposed the creation of
>> comp.lang.c++.cross-platform. Voting should start in the next day or
>> two (there's a load of red tape crap at the minute).
>>
>> I'd appreciate if you'd vote.
>>
>> --
>> Tomás Ó hÉilidhe
>>
>> --
>> Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

> So where do I vote?
> ~Vicktor

It apparently hasn't started yet. If you do want to vote, you need
to be patient.

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

Victor Bazarov:

> It apparently hasn't started yet. If you do want to vote, you need
> to be patient.

They've changed the setup. Eight village elders vote for it, rather
than the Usenet public. The newsgroup creation process is full of
corruption; I've given up on it.

--
Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

Jim Langston

Victor Bazarov wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On 5 ??, 21:34, "Tomás Ó hÉilidhe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> [..]
>>> There's currently no newsgroup in place for discussing
>>> cross-platform programming in C++, which is why I've proposed the
>>> creation of comp.lang.c++.cross-platform. Voting should start in
>>> the next day or two (there's a load of red tape crap at the minute).
>>>
>>> I'd appreciate if you'd vote.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tomás Ó hÉilidhe
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

>> So where do I vote?
>> ~Vicktor

> It apparently hasn't started yet. If you do want to vote, you need
> to be patient.

Actually, you would need to go to subscribe to news.groups.proposals and
find the thread (not difficult) and just respond that you think it would be
a good idea. The proposal is still kicking around, but Tomas didn't follow
the guildlines and steps he needed and even though Tomas has dropped the
ball some other people have taken up the proposal. The current discussion
is what should it be called and what should be considered on topic. The
current discussion seems to be about should it be
comp.lang.c++.cross-platform, or comp.lang.c++.misc or comp.programming.c++
or... etc...

Personally I feel there probably should be another c++ newsgroup dealing
with questions considered off topic here but really don't fit in any other
newsgroup such as cross platform code, some hardware code that doesn't fit
in with a specific OS, etc.. but am not sure what it should be called.

--
Jim Langston
(E-Mail Removed)