Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Newcomer to MCSE/Windows 2003

Newcomer to MCSE/Windows 2003

none@set.yet

Been using NT 4.0/Exchange 5.5 for nearly 2 years. We have training
approved with one of the best providers/most known in town. However
it is all online. I am asking here, what would be good supplemental
learning resources besides a quality online only center. Haven't
really used Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 before, but I may have to
install it on some old craptastic pc's at home to get familiar.
Quick learner, just never really delved into it yet. Wish to get
MCSE within 6 months, almost ready to take CCNA test, but that is a
seperate issue, so I have the drive to learn. ETc,

Tips welcomed

Ryan

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.5 Beta 3
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Neil

did you hear Ryan ((E-Mail Removed)) say in news:4415a08b$0$5494
$(E-Mail Removed):

> Been using NT 4.0/Exchange 5.5 for nearly 2 years.

whoa, aging products that are really over due for an upgrade. Might be
time to have a look the MS product lifecycle page (like about 4 years
ago)

> We have training
> approved with one of the best providers/most known in town.

ok, names or location please?

> However
> it is all online.

oy! 'k, the single most difficult part for a student taking an online
course IMHO, is staying interested. If there are online chats with the
instructor, make sure you show up for them. Ask the instructor to give
you additional work to do. if you don't, you might as well just do a self
paced CBT course. my $0.02

> I am asking here, what would be good supplemental
> learning resources besides a quality online only center.

the instructor's experience is the most useful additional resource. If
he.she has none, you might want to check out the product itself. Grab the
eval copies of the product and work with it. help files are good too.

> Haven't
> really used Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 before, but I may have to
> install it on some old craptastic pc's at home to get familiar.

nothing beats experience. work with it.

> Quick learner, just never really delved into it yet. Wish to get
> MCSE within 6 months, almost ready to take CCNA test, but that is a
> seperate issue, so I have the drive to learn. ETc,

don't try to make it a race to a finish line. If it takes you 6 months to
get your MCSE greatm but don't be doing the tests before you are ready.
and stay away from the braindumps.

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

- People who go to conferences are the ones who shouldn't.

Andy Ruth [MSFT]

Hi Ryan,
We created a Microsoft Official Curriculum (MOC) course 1560 that was
specifically at moving the skills of an NT4 person up to Windows 2000. I'm
not sure if you can still find one, but it would be a great first step. Once
you have gone through that material, the best way to gain insight into
Windows Server 2003 (in my opinion) and the delta between 2000 and 2003 is
to read the book Don Jones wrote on the subject.

If you have trouble finding either of those, in Help and support there is
typically and overview that talks specifically about the differences from
the previous version to the new version. However, the difference between
2000 and 2003 is like the difference between Netware 3.11 and 4.0;
completely different architecture for the network...

Playing with the product is great, but those will give you an idea of where
to start.

Andy Ruth
Microsoft Learning

rights.

"Ryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4415a08b$0$5494$(E-Mail Removed) g.com...
> Been using NT 4.0/Exchange 5.5 for nearly 2 years. We have training
> approved with one of the best providers/most known in town. However
> it is all online. I am asking here, what would be good supplemental
> learning resources besides a quality online only center. Haven't
> really used Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 before, but I may have to
> install it on some old craptastic pc's at home to get familiar.
> Quick learner, just never really delved into it yet. Wish to get
> MCSE within 6 months, almost ready to take CCNA test, but that is a
> seperate issue, so I have the drive to learn. ETc,
>

> Tips welcomed
>

> Ryan

> Posted with NewsLeecher v3.5 Beta 3
> * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
> * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Wayne

"Andy Ruth [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Ryan,

<snip>
>However, the difference between 2000 and 2003 is like the difference
>between Netware 3.11 and 4.0; completely different architecture for the
>network...

Shouldn't that read "the difference between NT4 and 2000/2003 .. " ? NT4 =
flat domain, single file / Netware 3.11 = flat structure, single file.
2000/2003 = x.500 directory / Netware 4.0 = x.500 directory.

Wayne McGlinn
Brisbane, Oz
MCNGP Silver
MCP NT 3.51 and Windows 95

Help -- Newcomer with region problem ? PJ DVD Video 1 05-29-2006 04:47 AM
SOAP server (newcomer q) Alto Java 4 12-18-2005 02:36 PM
Newcomer needs digital photography guide Ben Markwell Digital Photography 5 12-31-2003 11:14 PM
A couple observations of a newcomer Bob D. Digital Photography 10 08-26-2003 11:23 PM
a little help for a newcomer delia martin Computer Support 4 07-10-2003 01:31 PM

Advertisments