Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fixed Lens camera?

Fixed Lens camera?

rob.davies73@googlemail.com

The cheapest cameras I have seen are one from brands like Praktica and
have fixed lenses. Does a fixed lens camera require you to press &
hold the shutter button halfway down or is it a straight 'one-click
takes photo' operation?

Joseph Meehan

You will have to check to see. Most better cameras (with or without
fixed lenses) will have a delay while they focus and/or set exposure.

I am assuming you are looking for a new camera. I suggest that no mater
what camera you end up buying, that you get that camera in your own hands
and see how it feels before you buy it. Each of us has different hands and
some cameras are just not going to feel right and it won't get better.
Since you will have it in your hands you want to go though all the steps of
taking a photo and I might add getting the photos out of the camera and see
some actual results. Far better than relying on some test reports. Test
reports are good, and they should help you, but don't rely on them only.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Jürgen Exner

>The cheapest cameras I have seen are one from brands like Praktica and
>have fixed lenses. Does a fixed lens camera require you to press &
>hold the shutter button halfway down or is it a straight 'one-click
>takes photo' operation?

Well, there is no straight yes-or-no answer to that question.

First of all, where did you get the idea that you would need to _hold_ the
shutter button halfway down? Modern cameras give you the *option* to
pre-focus and pre-meter by pushing the button down halfway, which is useful
in certain situations. But nobody is _forcing_ you to do that. You can
always just push down all the way immediately.

Second way back when there used to be cameras with fixed focal length and
fixed exposure. I guess you can still get them as cheap use-ones and
throw-away cameras at the checkout aisle in grocery stores. Those are true
point-and-shoot. Nothing to set, nothing to change. And they don't have a
half-way shutter release position.
Now, having said that, I do not know if there are any compact _digital_
cameras, that fall into that category. Maybe those cell-phone contraptions
and similar lowest-end bottom-quality cameras.

jue

On 3 Jan, 13:27, Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >The cheapest cameras I have seen are one from brands like Praktica and
> >have fixed lenses. Does a fixed lens camera require you to press &
> >hold the shutter button halfway down or is it a straight 'one-click
> >takes photo' operation?

> Well, there is no straight yes-or-no answer to that question.
>
> First of all, where did you get the idea that you would need to _hold_ the
> shutter button halfway down? Modern cameras give you the *option* to
> pre-focus and pre-meter by pushing the button down halfway, which is useful
> in certain situations. But nobody is _forcing_ you to do that. You can
> always just push down all the way immediately.
>
> Second way back when there used to be cameras with fixed focal length and
> fixed exposure. I guess you can still get them as cheap use-ones and
> throw-away cameras at the checkout aisle in grocery stores. Those are true
> point-and-shoot. Nothing to set, nothing to change. And they don't have a
> half-way shutter release position.
> Now, having said that, I do not know if there are any compact _digital_
> cameras, that fall into that category. Maybe those cell-phone contraptions
> and similar lowest-end bottom-quality cameras.
>
> jue

The camera is for my 75yo mum. She has used those disposable film
cameras from the grocery store and, believe it or not, has always been
happy with the results. They do look terrible to me though. She
likes the idea of a digital camera but it needs to be as simple as
possible - even to the extent of not having to hold the shutter button
halfway down to focus. As you said though I guess she could just hit
the shutter button anyway and hope for the best. I guess that turns
an auto-focus camera into a fixed-focus one anyhow?

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jan 3, 4:01 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> The cheapest cameras I have seen are one from brands like Praktica and
> have fixed lenses. Does a fixed lens camera require you to press &
> hold the shutter button halfway down or is it a straight 'one-click
> takes photo' operation?

I am not sure whether, by fixed lens, you mean fixed focus or single
focal length. The cheapest cameras do have both- a fixed focus single
focal length lens. However, there are single focal length lenses (non-
zoom) that also focus. They are a bit more expensive than the fixed
focus lens cameras.

rob.davies73@googlemail.com

On 3 Jan, 14:00, Don Stauffer in Minnesota <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Jan 3, 4:01 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > The cheapest cameras I have seen are one from brands like Praktica and
> > have fixed lenses. Does a fixed lens camera require you to press &
> > hold the shutter button halfway down or is it a straight 'one-click
> > takes photo' operation?

> I am not sure whether, by fixed lens, you mean fixed focus or single
> focal length. The cheapest cameras do have both- a fixed focus single
> focal length lens. However, there are single focal length lenses (non-
> zoom) that also focus. They are a bit more expensive than the fixed
> focus lens cameras.

Hi. Sorry for confusion. I think I mean fixed-focus. The cameras I've
looked at for her do _not_ include an optical zoom of any kind. Having
an optical zoom would just be another complication

Ed Mullikin

Snip,

The camera is for my 75yo mum. She has used those disposable film
cameras from the grocery store and, believe it or not, has always been
happy with the results. They do look terrible to me though. She
likes the idea of a digital camera but it needs to be as simple as
possible - even to the extent of not having to hold the shutter button
halfway down to focus. As you said though I guess she could just hit
the shutter button anyway and hope for the best. I guess that turns
an auto-focus camera into a fixed-focus one anyhow?

My wife is 79 and very intelligent, until she gets a camera in her hands and
her IQ drops to around 10! We were in Africa "on safari" and we had to go
our separate ways at one point. I asked her when we got back together if
she took any photos. "Sure I did" was the reply. There was nothing there!
Turns out she focused the camera about 20 times but never went the rest of
the way. SHE should have a grocery store camera. She'd be happy and so
would I!

Joseph Meehan

Now a new issue. Most, but not all, older adults and young children do
best with simple large controls cameras. That is the controls they need to
use when taking a photo need to be on the large size, not the small tinny
size that many compact cameras have. The older folk also tend to have
problems with eye sight and you should pay special attention to the view
finder size and ease of use. She may have a difficult time with a LCD
display and would likely do better with an optical finder. Each person is
different. Those are general rules and they work.

Just as above, I suggested you get the camera in your hands. Now I
suggest even stronger that she get the camera in her hands before you
commit to a specific camera.

I have been out of the business for a long time so I have little
knowledge of the current crop of digital cameras so you may have some
hunting to do, but I do strongly suggest that you keep my suggestions in
mind.

news:K07fj.3843$(E-Mail Removed)...

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Joseph Meehan

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The camera is for my 75yo mum.

I have to add one item. Make sure she has an easy way to get the photos
out of the camera and onto paper, or into the computer depending on HER
preference and computer skills.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Scott W

On Jan 3, 3:57*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On 3 Jan, 13:27, Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > >The cheapest cameras I have seen are one from brands like Praktica and
> > >have fixed lenses. * Does a fixed lens camera require you to press &
> > >hold the shutter button halfway down or is it a straight 'one-click
> > >takes photo' operation?

> > Well, there is no straight yes-or-no answer to that question.

> > First of all, where did you get the idea that you would need to _hold_ the
> > shutter button halfway down? Modern cameras give you the **option* to
> > pre-focus and pre-meter by pushing the button down halfway, which is useful
> > in certain situations. But nobody is _forcing_ you to do that. You can
> > always just push down all the way immediately.

> > Second way back when there used to be cameras with fixed focal length and
> > fixed exposure. I guess you can still get them as cheap use-ones and
> > throw-away cameras at the checkout aisle in grocery stores. Those are true
> > point-and-shoot. Nothing to set, nothing to change. And they don't have a
> > half-way shutter release position.
> > Now, having said that, I do not know if there are any compact _digital_
> > cameras, that fall into that category. Maybe those cell-phone contraptions
> > and similar lowest-end bottom-quality cameras.

> > jue

> The camera is for my 75yo mum. *She has used those disposable film
> cameras from the grocery store and, believe it or not, has always been
> happy with the results. *They do look terrible to me though. *She
> likes the idea of a digital camera but it needs to be as simple as
> possible - even to the extent of not having to hold the shutter button
> halfway down to focus. *As you said though I guess she could just hit
> the shutter button anyway and hope for the best. *I guess that turns
> an auto-focus camera into a fixed-focus one anyhow?

Auto focus does not work they way you believe it does, you don' have
to push half way and then the rest of the way to use auto focus, you
just push the shutter, there will be a small delay while the camera
focuses and then takes the photo. You have the option of pushing half
way to get the focus then when you push the rest of the way the photo
is taken in much less time, but just pushing all the way at once does
not mean the camera does not focus.

75 is not that old, my mother is 80 and handles a digital camera
fairly well.

Scott