Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > More newbie stuff --WPA key at computer end

More newbie stuff --WPA key at computer end

Suzy

Hi all.

Installed Belkin54g successfully with a wireless "network" of one!

his is my understanding problem: how do I access my Atheros wireless card
(inbuilt to my laptop) to change the WPA key to match any new key I might
set the Belkin to?

I can see how to fix the Belkin side by accessing it via browser with
192.168.2.1 but not how to make changes to the other end (the laptop)

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
After you set the Belkin, Windows Wireless Utility would show your Wireless
Router signal, when you choose to connect to it you would be prompt you to
enter the Key.
I would suggest that before setting the Router Security leave it open for
few minutes and make sure that you can communicate while the connection is
open.
Give you self few minutes to look around and be familiar with Laptop
Wireless Utility and settings.
When you are sure that every thing working set the Encryption key.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all.
>
> Installed Belkin54g successfully with a wireless "network" of one!
>
> his is my understanding problem: how do I access my Atheros wireless card
> (inbuilt to my laptop) to change the WPA key to match any new key I might
> set the Belkin to?
>
> I can see how to fix the Belkin side by accessing it via browser with
> 192.168.2.1 but not how to make changes to the other end (the laptop)

Jim

"Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all.
>
> Installed Belkin54g successfully with a wireless "network" of one!
>
> his is my understanding problem: how do I access my Atheros wireless card
> (inbuilt to my laptop) to change the WPA key to match any new key I might
> set the Belkin to?
>
> I can see how to fix the Belkin side by accessing it via browser with
> 192.168.2.1 but not how to make changes to the other end (the laptop)

You will need to consult the fine manuals for the computer or the wireless
card. I don't have your model hence I have no idea.
Jim

Suzy

Thanks for your reply, but I'm still confused. How exactly do I set the
laptop end up and not the Belkin (which I know how to set up)

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> After you set the Belkin, Windows Wireless Utility would show your
> Wireless Router signal, when you choose to connect to it you would be
> prompt you to enter the Key.
> I would suggest that before setting the Router Security leave it open for
> few minutes and make sure that you can communicate while the connection is
> open.
> Give you self few minutes to look around and be familiar with Laptop
> Wireless Utility and settings.
> When you are sure that every thing working set the Encryption key.
> My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all.
>>
>> Installed Belkin54g successfully with a wireless "network" of one!
>>
>> his is my understanding problem: how do I access my Atheros wireless card
>> (inbuilt to my laptop) to change the WPA key to match any new key I might
>> set the Belkin to?
>>
>> I can see how to fix the Belkin side by accessing it via browser with
>> 192.168.2.1 but not how to make changes to the other end (the laptop)

Suzy

Thanks Jim. The manuals are almost non-existent. The wireless card is an
Atheros. Calling up details through device manager (XP) or through the
networks settings shows no space for the WPA key. I surmise that it's done
automatically when I set up the router but I would like to get into it.

news:X1Vej.33228$(E-Mail Removed) et...

> "Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all.
>>
>> Installed Belkin54g successfully with a wireless "network" of one!
>>
>> his is my understanding problem: how do I access my Atheros wireless card
>> (inbuilt to my laptop) to change the WPA key to match any new key I might
>> set the Belkin to?
>>
>> I can see how to fix the Belkin side by accessing it via browser with
>> 192.168.2.1 but not how to make changes to the other end (the laptop)
>>

> You will need to consult the fine manuals for the computer or the wireless
> card. I don't have your model hence I have no idea.
> Jim

Jim

"Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:477c3234$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Jim. The manuals are almost non-existent. The wireless card is an
> Atheros. Calling up details through device manager (XP) or through the
> networks settings shows no space for the WPA key. I surmise that it's done
> automatically when I set up the router but I would like to get into it.
>
> "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:X1Vej.33228$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>>
>> "Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> Installed Belkin54g successfully with a wireless "network" of one!
>>>
>>> his is my understanding problem: how do I access my Atheros wireless
>>> card (inbuilt to my laptop) to change the WPA key to match any new key I
>>> might set the Belkin to?
>>>
>>> I can see how to fix the Belkin side by accessing it via browser with
>>> 192.168.2.1 but not how to make changes to the other end (the laptop)
>>>

>> You will need to consult the fine manuals for the computer or the
>> wireless card. I don't have your model hence I have no idea.
>> Jim

My computer has an Intel card. I get to the card setup by right clicking on
the wireless icon in the system tray.
If that card sets up the encryption key all by itself, it is about the only
one that does so.
Jim

Ken Triebold

I think all you have to do is this on your laptop:

1. Right-click the wireless network connection icon in the notification area
(lower right-hand section of the display).
2. Click on "View Available Wireless Networks".
3. Select the new network that you recently set up on your Belkin router (it
may be the only one showing). Then click on the "Connect" button in the
lower right-hand corner.
4. You will then be taken to the connection process for your laptop. When it
asks for your WPA key, just type it in and you should be all set. Because it
is easy to get your WPA key wrong when typing it, it is best to copy and
paste it if you have your WPA key stored somewhere on your computer.

"Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all.
>
> Installed Belkin54g successfully with a wireless "network" of one!
>
> his is my understanding problem: how do I access my Atheros wireless card
> (inbuilt to my laptop) to change the WPA key to match any new key I might
> set the Belkin to?
>
> I can see how to fix the Belkin side by accessing it via browser with
> 192.168.2.1 but not how to make changes to the other end (the laptop)

Suzy

Thanks Ken and the others. Success! What threw me was that the blobs masking
the passkey were not the same in number as the passkey was. Also, it is
apparent that it says "connected" even when you are not.Anyway, what I did
was 1) change the passkey on the router (using browser access). 2)
disconnect the card from the network. 3) Reconnect it, and 4) when it asked
for the passkey I entered the new one. All OK. I have also enabled MAC
address filtering and locked out ICMP ping.
"Ken Triebold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I think all you have to do is this on your laptop:
>
> 1. Right-click the wireless network connection icon in the notification
> area (lower right-hand section of the display).
> 2. Click on "View Available Wireless Networks".
> 3. Select the new network that you recently set up on your Belkin router
> (it may be the only one showing). Then click on the "Connect" button in
> the lower right-hand corner.
> 4. You will then be taken to the connection process for your laptop. When
> it asks for your WPA key, just type it in and you should be all set.
> Because it is easy to get your WPA key wrong when typing it, it is best to
> copy and paste it if you have your WPA key stored somewhere on your
> computer.
>
> "Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all.
>>
>> Installed Belkin54g successfully with a wireless "network" of one!
>>
>> his is my understanding problem: how do I access my Atheros wireless card
>> (inbuilt to my laptop) to change the WPA key to match any new key I might
>> set the Belkin to?
>>
>> I can see how to fix the Belkin side by accessing it via browser with
>> 192.168.2.1 but not how to make changes to the other end (the laptop)

Help with switch configuration, ( 3 3550's, 5 2950's end to end ) ec Cisco 3 07-25-2006 10:30 AM
Measure delay end-to-end Dave Cisco 1 07-20-2004 12:51 PM
is there a difference between CIR and CIR+end to end clear channel connection? ike lozada Cisco 0 05-27-2004 02:34 AM

Advertisments