Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Desktop Window Manager session manager freezes system

Desktop Window Manager session manager freezes system

Anton

Hello!
My system (Vista 64 bit) is suffering from freezes just after I login. I've
nailed the problem down to the service "Desktop window manager session
manager" and disabling it at startup does make my system stable again.

As soon as I enable the service, it crashes. So what to do? I use an ATI
graphics card and I have tried reinstalling the drivers for it, but it does
not help. I even removed them totally and gave it a try, but it's still
freezing. Right now, I'm thinking about the chances of reinstalling/restoring
the exe file for the DWM. Is that possible? Will it help? I do not have any
restore point to fall back on...

What should I do? I'm not in the mood for formatting...

John Barnes

I know you are not going to like this, but here is the answer from a
topnotch Microsoft employee

Hello John,
There is a separate copy of the what are considered the boot critical files
that can be repaired with SFC while offline.
These are in the \windows\winsxs\backup, but the number of files there are
limited.

Mounting the wim file from the DVD and manually copying the files from the
mounted location to the OS location is the only way to replace a corrupted
file that cannot be repaired with SFC.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

==========================
That was a reply from Darrell. The closest I have come to trying anything
is to find this article.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...ta/dsk-02.mspx The
second item would seem to apply.
This will give you info as to how to do it.

"Anton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello!
> My system (Vista 64 bit) is suffering from freezes just after I login.
> I've
> nailed the problem down to the service "Desktop window manager session
> manager" and disabling it at startup does make my system stable again.
>
> As soon as I enable the service, it crashes. So what to do? I use an ATI
> graphics card and I have tried reinstalling the drivers for it, but it
> does
> not help. I even removed them totally and gave it a try, but it's still
> freezing. Right now, I'm thinking about the chances of
> reinstalling/restoring
> the exe file for the DWM. Is that possible? Will it help? I do not have
> any
> restore point to fall back on...
>
> What should I do? I'm not in the mood for formatting...

Anton

I like all replies, thank you for your help. I'll need to start digging into
this...seems like some command line hacking, good fun. Seems like a one in
a million that the dwm.exe is corrupt, but hey, I'll try anything before I
reinstall. Stupid me not creating a backup ghost image...

Unfortunately, I'm starting to suspect a hardware failure... It seems like
my system freezes even with the DWM service turned off. Every time something
more graphic intense is to be executed (like a screen saver or even intense
scrolling, Flash graphics etc.) the system freezes.

Thanks anyways!

"John Barnes" wrote:

> I know you are not going to like this, but here is the answer from a
> topnotch Microsoft employee
>
> Hello John,
> There is a separate copy of the what are considered the boot critical files
> that can be repaired with SFC while offline.
> These are in the \windows\winsxs\backup, but the number of files there are
> limited.
>
> Mounting the wim file from the DVD and manually copying the files from the
> mounted location to the OS location is the only way to replace a corrupted
> file that cannot be repaired with SFC.
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> ==========================
> That was a reply from Darrell. The closest I have come to trying anything
> is to find this article.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...ta/dsk-02.mspx The
> second item would seem to apply.
> This will give you info as to how to do it.

Carlos

Anton,
Did you try a system restore to a point before the freezing started?
That would determine if it is (or not) a hardware failure.

If it were the video driver, you might try with an older one.
One of the members in this NG is using ATI v7.6 (I think...) and cannot use
the newer ones.

Check also your BIOS settings and disable any overclocking that might be
present.

Carlos

"Anton" wrote:

> I like all replies, thank you for your help. I'll need to start digging into
> this...seems like some command line hacking, good fun. Seems like a one in
> a million that the dwm.exe is corrupt, but hey, I'll try anything before I
> reinstall. Stupid me not creating a backup ghost image...
>
> Unfortunately, I'm starting to suspect a hardware failure... It seems like
> my system freezes even with the DWM service turned off. Every time something
> more graphic intense is to be executed (like a screen saver or even intense
> scrolling, Flash graphics etc.) the system freezes.
>
> Thanks anyways!
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
> > I know you are not going to like this, but here is the answer from a
> > topnotch Microsoft employee
> >
> > Hello John,
> > There is a separate copy of the what are considered the boot critical files
> > that can be repaired with SFC while offline.
> > These are in the \windows\winsxs\backup, but the number of files there are
> > limited.
> >
> > Mounting the wim file from the DVD and manually copying the files from the
> > mounted location to the OS location is the only way to replace a corrupted
> > file that cannot be repaired with SFC.
> > Thanks,
> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
> >
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
> > ==========================
> > That was a reply from Darrell. The closest I have come to trying anything
> > is to find this article.
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...ta/dsk-02.mspx The
> > second item would seem to apply.
> > This will give you info as to how to do it.

Colin Barnhorst

And take its temperature. Overheating?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anton,
> Did you try a system restore to a point before the freezing started?
> That would determine if it is (or not) a hardware failure.
>
> If it were the video driver, you might try with an older one.
> One of the members in this NG is using ATI v7.6 (I think...) and cannot
> use
> the newer ones.
>
> Check also your BIOS settings and disable any overclocking that might be
> present.
>
> Carlos
>
> "Anton" wrote:
>
>> I like all replies, thank you for your help. I'll need to start digging
>> into
>> this...seems like some command line hacking, good fun. Seems like a
>> one in
>> a million that the dwm.exe is corrupt, but hey, I'll try anything before
>> reinstall. Stupid me not creating a backup ghost image...
>>
>> Unfortunately, I'm starting to suspect a hardware failure... It seems
>> like
>> my system freezes even with the DWM service turned off. Every time
>> something
>> more graphic intense is to be executed (like a screen saver or even
>> intense
>> scrolling, Flash graphics etc.) the system freezes.
>>
>> Thanks anyways!
>>
>> "John Barnes" wrote:
>>
>> > I know you are not going to like this, but here is the answer from a
>> > topnotch Microsoft employee
>> >
>> > Hello John,
>> > There is a separate copy of the what are considered the boot critical
>> > files
>> > that can be repaired with SFC while offline.
>> > These are in the \windows\winsxs\backup, but the number of files there
>> > are
>> > limited.
>> >
>> > Mounting the wim file from the DVD and manually copying the files from
>> > the
>> > mounted location to the OS location is the only way to replace a
>> > corrupted
>> > file that cannot be repaired with SFC.
>> > Thanks,
>> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

>> > rights
>> > ==========================
>> > That was a reply from Darrell. The closest I have come to trying
>> > anything
>> > is to find this article.
>> >
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...ta/dsk-02.mspx
>> > The
>> > second item would seem to apply.
>> > This will give you info as to how to do it.

Anton

Hi!
Unfortunately, I have no restore points to fall back on. Why, I honestly do
not know. I have always kept System Restore turned on and it should create a
restore point at major software installations, but it does not list any...

I've thought about trying an older video driver, but since the problem
occurs even without the video drivers running (installed), they are not the
cause. (Also it ran fine on the same drivers before..)

I will head into BIOS and poke around a bit... It is not overheating either,
that was the first thing I checked beacuse it is somewhat of a classical
overheating symptom.

Thanks for your help!

"Carlos" wrote:

> Anton,
> Did you try a system restore to a point before the freezing started?
> That would determine if it is (or not) a hardware failure.
>
> If it were the video driver, you might try with an older one.
> One of the members in this NG is using ATI v7.6 (I think...) and cannot use
> the newer ones.
>
> Check also your BIOS settings and disable any overclocking that might be
> present.
>
> Carlos
>
> "Anton" wrote:
>
> > I like all replies, thank you for your help. I'll need to start digging into
> > this...seems like some command line hacking, good fun. Seems like a one in
> > a million that the dwm.exe is corrupt, but hey, I'll try anything before I
> > reinstall. Stupid me not creating a backup ghost image...
> >
> > Unfortunately, I'm starting to suspect a hardware failure... It seems like
> > my system freezes even with the DWM service turned off. Every time something
> > more graphic intense is to be executed (like a screen saver or even intense
> > scrolling, Flash graphics etc.) the system freezes.
> >
> > Thanks anyways!
> >
> > "John Barnes" wrote:
> >
> > > I know you are not going to like this, but here is the answer from a
> > > topnotch Microsoft employee
> > >
> > > Hello John,
> > > There is a separate copy of the what are considered the boot critical files
> > > that can be repaired with SFC while offline.
> > > These are in the \windows\winsxs\backup, but the number of files there are
> > > limited.
> > >
> > > Mounting the wim file from the DVD and manually copying the files from the
> > > mounted location to the OS location is the only way to replace a corrupted
> > > file that cannot be repaired with SFC.
> > > Thanks,
> > > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
> > >
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
> > > ==========================
> > > That was a reply from Darrell. The closest I have come to trying anything
> > > is to find this article.
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...ta/dsk-02.mspx The
> > > second item would seem to apply.
> > > This will give you info as to how to do it.

Carlos

And his wife's vacuum cleaner to remove dust from fans and heatsinks.
Heat and dust are lurking like gremlins inside our PC's.

Carlos

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> And take its temperature. Overheating?

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Anton,
> > Did you try a system restore to a point before the freezing started?
> > That would determine if it is (or not) a hardware failure.
> >
> > If it were the video driver, you might try with an older one.
> > One of the members in this NG is using ATI v7.6 (I think...) and cannot
> > use
> > the newer ones.
> >
> > Check also your BIOS settings and disable any overclocking that might be
> > present.
> >
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Anton" wrote:
> >
> >> I like all replies, thank you for your help. I'll need to start digging
> >> into
> >> this...seems like some command line hacking, good fun. Seems like a
> >> one in
> >> a million that the dwm.exe is corrupt, but hey, I'll try anything before
> >> reinstall. Stupid me not creating a backup ghost image...
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, I'm starting to suspect a hardware failure... It seems
> >> like
> >> my system freezes even with the DWM service turned off. Every time
> >> something
> >> more graphic intense is to be executed (like a screen saver or even
> >> intense
> >> scrolling, Flash graphics etc.) the system freezes.
> >>
> >> Thanks anyways!

Anton

I went through every BIOS setting, a few of them were not what they were
before. With all settings restored, my computer is stable again! I've been
away for a while, maybe there was some kind of voltage drop that affected my
system, even though it was turned off.

Thank you all for your help!

> Check also your BIOS settings [...]
>
> Carlos

John Barnes

If you are dual booting with XP you will destroy any Vista Restore Points on
each reboot to XP

"Anton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
> Unfortunately, I have no restore points to fall back on. Why, I honestly
> do
> not know. I have always kept System Restore turned on and it should create
> restore point at major software installations, but it does not list any...
>
> I've thought about trying an older video driver, but since the problem
> occurs even without the video drivers running (installed), they are not
> the
> cause. (Also it ran fine on the same drivers before..)
>
> I will head into BIOS and poke around a bit... It is not overheating
> either,
> that was the first thing I checked beacuse it is somewhat of a classical
> overheating symptom.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> "Carlos" wrote:
>
>> Anton,
>> Did you try a system restore to a point before the freezing started?
>> That would determine if it is (or not) a hardware failure.
>>
>> If it were the video driver, you might try with an older one.
>> One of the members in this NG is using ATI v7.6 (I think...) and cannot
>> use
>> the newer ones.
>>
>> Check also your BIOS settings and disable any overclocking that might be
>> present.
>>
>> Carlos
>>
>> "Anton" wrote:
>>
>> > I like all replies, thank you for your help. I'll need to start digging
>> > into
>> > this...seems like some command line hacking, good fun. Seems like a
>> > one in
>> > a million that the dwm.exe is corrupt, but hey, I'll try anything
>> > before I
>> > reinstall. Stupid me not creating a backup ghost image...
>> >
>> > Unfortunately, I'm starting to suspect a hardware failure... It seems
>> > like
>> > my system freezes even with the DWM service turned off. Every time
>> > something
>> > more graphic intense is to be executed (like a screen saver or even
>> > intense
>> > scrolling, Flash graphics etc.) the system freezes.
>> >
>> > Thanks anyways!

Colin Barnhorst

I call them "data bunnies".

news:(E-Mail Removed)...