Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Does 70-291 exam factor in Subnet Zero?

Does 70-291 exam factor in Subnet Zero?

Mr Troy

I'm studying for this exam and I'm using CBT Nuggets. They had an Exercise
on figuring out subnet masks, ip ranges, etc. for ip addresses.

In their exercises, they took into account using "subnet zero."

Could you please let me know if they ask you ip ranges in the exam and if
so, do they say "take into account subnet zero?"

I know that Cisco does not enable the use of Subnet Zero by default...

Thank you for any help you can offer,
Troy

Lawrence Garvin

"Mr Troy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm studying for this exam and I'm using CBT Nuggets. They had an
> Exercise
> on figuring out subnet masks, ip ranges, etc. for ip addresses.
>
> In their exercises, they took into account using "subnet zero."
>
> Could you please let me know if they ask you ip ranges in the exam and if
> so, do they say "take into account subnet zero?"
>
> I know that Cisco does not enable the use of Subnet Zero by default...

I can't really comment on what specifically is asked in the exam (because
[a] I don't know -- I've taken the 70-293, not the 70-291, but even if I
had, [b] commenting directly on specific question text is a violation of the
NDA), but the MSPress TK is written, and does drill, as if the first and
last subnets are fully usable.

In the ancient days of IP subnetting it was not acceptable to use the first
and last subnets -- I don't know the exact reason -- but it might have
something to do with the software "assuming" that the .0 subnet was a
*network* identifier (and not a possible subnet identifier), or that the
..255 address was always the network broadcast address.

It was actually (IIRC) Microsoft who first started allowing the use of the
first and last subnets as legal subnets.

Today, short of some legacy router software, most everything permits the use
of the first and last subnets. I would expect the exam questions to be
written with that consideration in mind. This can easily be verified in the
study guides by looking at the basic subnet charts in the start of the
subnetting lessons, and see how many subnets are reported as available in
the /29, /30, /31, etc. masks.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCBMSP, MCTS, MCP
Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-200

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Mr Troy

Hi Lawrence,

Thank you for the reply!

Troy

"Lawrence Garvin" wrote:

> "Mr Troy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm studying for this exam and I'm using CBT Nuggets. They had an
> > Exercise
> > on figuring out subnet masks, ip ranges, etc. for ip addresses.
> >
> > In their exercises, they took into account using "subnet zero."
> >
> > Could you please let me know if they ask you ip ranges in the exam and if
> > so, do they say "take into account subnet zero?"
> >
> > I know that Cisco does not enable the use of Subnet Zero by default...

> I can't really comment on what specifically is asked in the exam (because
> [a] I don't know -- I've taken the 70-293, not the 70-291, but even if I
> had, [b] commenting directly on specific question text is a violation of the
> NDA), but the MSPress TK is written, and does drill, as if the first and
> last subnets are fully usable.
>
> In the ancient days of IP subnetting it was not acceptable to use the first
> and last subnets -- I don't know the exact reason -- but it might have
> something to do with the software "assuming" that the .0 subnet was a
> *network* identifier (and not a possible subnet identifier), or that the
> .255 address was always the network broadcast address.
>
> It was actually (IIRC) Microsoft who first started allowing the use of the
> first and last subnets as legal subnets.
>
> Today, short of some legacy router software, most everything permits the use
> of the first and last subnets. I would expect the exam questions to be
> written with that consideration in mind. This can easily be verified in the
> study guides by looking at the basic subnet charts in the start of the
> subnetting lessons, and see how many subnets are reported as available in
> the /29, /30, /31, etc. masks.
>

> --
> Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCBMSP, MCTS, MCP
> Senior Data Architect, APQC, Houston, Texas
> Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-200

> http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Kpt Kill

PS ...
Cisco most certainly allows subnet zero, and has been enabled by default
since IOS 12.0.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk64...80093f18.shtml

Just in case you plan on taking the ccna