Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Help - Creating a Wireless Bridge with 2 Belkin Routers

Help - Creating a Wireless Bridge with 2 Belkin Routers

rspike@comcast.net

I am trying to create a wireless bridge between two Belkin F5D72314
Routers. One is being used as a Wireless Router, and the other has
been configured to be used as an Access Point. I've entered the WLAN
Address into the Wireless Bridge Page of the Router. I've also made
sure that the SSID's are the same, and both the Access Point and the
Router are on the same channel. For purposes of troubleshooting, I've
turned off all encryption and other security.

I am able to sucessfully Ping the Access Point when it's connected to
the Router via Ethernet Cable. However, when I disconnect the Ethernet

Cable, it loses the connection.

What step am I missing here to complete the Wireless Bridge?

Jack

Hi

Wireless Devices can be configured to perform in variety of Modes.

In order to Bridge, or Repeat Infrastructure Wireless source, the device
need to allow configuration as a Client, or WDS Mode (Regular Access Point
Mode would Not allow Bridging).

Most of the consumer Cable/DSL Wireless Routers cannot be configured as
Clients or WDS. I am Not sure about your Belkin (some of the Belkin's can be
used for Bridging) look at the Data Sheet.

More here.

Wireless Modes: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging

Wireless Router as an AP: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

Jack wrote:
> Hi
>
> Wireless Devices can be configured to perform in variety of Modes.
>
> In order to Bridge, or Repeat Infrastructure Wireless source, the device
> need to allow configuration as a Client, or WDS Mode (Regular Access Point
> Mode would Not allow Bridging).
>
> Most of the consumer Cable/DSL Wireless Routers cannot be configured as
> Clients or WDS. I am Not sure about your Belkin (some of the Belkin's can be
> used for Bridging) look at the Data Sheet.
>
> More here.
>
> Wireless Modes: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
>
> Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging
>
> Extending Distance: http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html
>
> Wireless Router as an AP: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >I am trying to create a wireless bridge between two Belkin F5D72314
> > Routers. One is being used as a Wireless Router, and the other has
> > been configured to be used as an Access Point. I've entered the WLAN
> > Address into the Wireless Bridge Page of the Router. I've also made
> > sure that the SSID's are the same, and both the Access Point and the
> > Router are on the same channel. For purposes of troubleshooting, I've
> > turned off all encryption and other security.
> >

> > I am able to sucessfully Ping the Access Point when it's connected to
> > the Router via Ethernet Cable. However, when I disconnect the Ethernet
> >
> > Cable, it loses the connection.
> >

> > What step am I missing here to complete the Wireless Bridge?

Thanks for the information.

I read it all carefully - - - And it seems like I've followed the
Belkin instructions exactly as they state. I'm wondering if some of
the settings need to be configured on the Belkin Router before it's put
into "Access Point" mode. (i.e. Turning off DHCP etc.). I would
assume that once it's put into the "Access Point" mode, it turns on and
off the things that it needs to. There isn't even an option (once in
Access Point Mode) to even turn DHCP on an off.

The Belkin Instructions make it seem so simple - - - That's why I think
I'm missing an easy step here.

rspike@comcast.net

Further on this . . .

After updating the Firmware, the Wireless Bridge works great!

Thanks for everybody's help!