Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Access to a ridiculous computer? :-D

Access to a ridiculous computer? :-D

Wolfgang Draxinger

Randy Howard wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 05:04:18 -0600, Philip Potter wrote
> (in article <fll3rj$kh9$(E-Mail Removed)>):
>
>> PS: FYI, your name is still screwed in my newsreader.

> Get a better one.

A better what? Newsreader? Tomas (or his Newsreader) is violating
NNTP message standard, by using non verbatim 7-bit ASCII
characters in the name field. There is of course a way to put
extended characters in there, by using a specially encoded
format. However some Newsreaders need to have this enabled
explicitly, and some can't encode in that way.

Tomas uses Xnews, which can decode encoded NNTP headers, but
can't encode. So he has to provide the encoded field himself or
use a different Newsreader or don't use extended characters in
Header fields.

Wolfgang Draxinger
--
E-Mail address works, Jabber: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), ICQ: 134682867

Philip Potter

"Tom��������������� ���������������� " wrote:
> Philip Potter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.c:
>
>> Don't Do That. At least in the UK, 4kW through one plug is over 17A of
>> current (230V voltage), and you shouldn't ever try to draw more than
>> 13A through a plug. Many house fires have been started in this way.

> (I find the ambiguous spelling of "lead" irritating so I'm going to
> replace it with "led" or "leed" where applicable)
>
> The extension leed has four sockets, each of which leed to a common 13 A
> fuse.
>
> I should be able to plug whatever I want in wherever I want... worst case
> scenario being a blown fuse.

[snip]

> Anyway, a question I'd like to ask: Should an actual plug or leed
> ever become hot? Because the plastic of the plug from the extension leed
> going into the wall was pretty hot, as was the leed.
>
> I'm an electronic engineer myself but I still wouldn't have batted an
> eyelid about plugging things in willy-nilly, (even into a mutli-adapter),
> because the worst thing that should happen is a blown fuse.

I am not an expert by any means, but I was told at school many, many
times never to overload a socket. The only conclusion I can come to is
that although the fuse *should* protect the plug and cable, if that fuse
doesn't work as it should then you've got a problem. Fuses are blunt
devices - they don't trigger immediately and they don't trigger at
exactly 13A. And, too often, the wrong fuse gets fitted to a plug.
Making a fuse a single point of failure is probably not a good plan.

I would take a hot cable as being a significant warning sign. If the
cable was hot, I'd say it was carrying more current than it should.

But again, I'm not an electrician.

> I bought a smoke alarm along with the heaters though, just in case,
> and I have it mounted right above them. I've got smoke alarms on the
> ceilings of the rooms in my house, but I've also got ones mounted
> specifically above high-risk devices (my washing machine, dryer, and the
> heaters). I've only ever had one fire in my house and it was in a washing
> machine; thankfully it was noticed in time and the unit was dragged out
> into the back garden before any real damage was done.

Ouch!

Mark McIntyre

Philip Potter wrote:
(replying to tom who wrote)

>> I should be able to plug whatever I want in wherever I want... worst
>> case scenario being a blown fuse.

The epitaph of many a dead householder.

> Making a fuse a single point of failure is probably not a good plan.

Correct. But offtopic.

> I would take a hot cable as being a significant warning sign. If the
> cable was hot, I'd say it was carrying more current than it should.

Also correct, and also offtopic.

--
Mark McIntyre

CLC FAQ <http://c-faq.com/>

Al Balmer

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 14:23:49 +0000, Philip Potter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I am not an expert by any means, but I was told at school many, many
>times never to overload a socket. The only conclusion I can come to is
>that although the fuse *should* protect the plug and cable, if that fuse
> doesn't work as it should then you've got a problem.

The fuse is intended to protect the house wiring, and is sized
accordingly. It won't stop an overloaded extension cord from
overheating itself and whatever it comes in contact with.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

Toms hilidhe

Al Balmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.c:

> The fuse is intended to protect the house wiring, and is sized
> accordingly. It won't stop an overloaded extension cord from
> overheating itself and whatever it comes in contact with.

If the fuse was intended to protect the house wiring rather than the
appliance's wiring, then it would make more sense to have fuses in our
sockets rather than in our plugs.

The max rating for the sockets is 13 A, and it's also 13 A for the plugs.

If the extension lead overheats when less than 13 A goes through it, then
it should be rated as maybe an 8 A extension lead, and accordingly have
an 8 A fuse in its plug.

Anyway I've come to conclusion that either:
a) The heaters are 1.5 kW instead of 2 kW.
or
b) The fuse is allowing 13 A to pass.

I'll look into it.

--
Toms hilidhe

Antoninus Twink

On 6 Jan 2008 at 17:30, Al Balmer wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 14:23:49 +0000, Philip Potter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I am not an expert by any means, but I was told at school many, many
>>times never to overload a socket. The only conclusion I can come to is
>>that although the fuse *should* protect the plug and cable, if that fuse
>> doesn't work as it should then you've got a problem.

> The fuse is intended to protect the house wiring, and is sized
> accordingly. It won't stop an overloaded extension cord from
> overheating itself and whatever it comes in contact with.

You know, it's the mindblowing, breathtaking, ****taking hypocrisy of
this group that's the real killer.

If someone outside The Clique posts something heretical - perhaps they
assume their C implementation uses a call stack - then it isn't long
before HeathField's attack dogs (usually the insufferable Falconer or
the tragic Default Luser, sometimes Psycho Mackintyre or Martin "send
the men in white coats to pick me up in an" Ambuhlance, sometimes others
too) respond with a barrage of "OT - not C - not portable - I hope your
mother dies in agony you worthless piece of crud" posts.

But here we have a huge subthread, started, developed and kept going by
The Clique. Let's examine its subject. Oh, amateur electrics. (flicks
through the precious C Standard) Nope, current, wiring, plugs, cables,
none of them are their in N7342, or in N334124, or indeed in N2342141.
So where are all the messages saying "Cabling is an implementation
detail - take the discussion to a group for your platform"?

The amazing thing is that I think The Clique really are completely
unself-conscious about this - they just don't realize there's any
hypocrisy in what they're doing.

jacob navia

Antoninus Twink wrote:

> You know, it's the mindblowing, breathtaking, ****taking hypocrisy of
> this group that's the real killer.
>
> If someone outside The Clique posts something heretical - perhaps they
> assume their C implementation uses a call stack - then it isn't long
> before HeathField's attack dogs (usually the insufferable Falconer or
> the tragic Default Luser, sometimes Psycho Mackintyre or Martin "send
> the men in white coats to pick me up in an" Ambuhlance, sometimes others
> too) respond with a barrage of "OT - not C - not portable - I hope your
> mother dies in agony you worthless piece of crud" posts.
>
> But here we have a huge subthread, started, developed and kept going by
> The Clique. Let's examine its subject. Oh, amateur electrics. (flicks
> through the precious C Standard) Nope, current, wiring, plugs, cables,
> none of them are their in N7342, or in N334124, or indeed in N2342141.
> So where are all the messages saying "Cabling is an implementation
> detail - take the discussion to a group for your platform"?
>
> The amazing thing is that I think The Clique really are completely
> unself-conscious about this - they just don't realize there's any
> hypocrisy in what they're doing.

Of course they do not see anything wrong.

Talking about wiring is allowed TO THEM. If I speak about
something like generic functions in C, or any "heresy" like
that, OFF TOPIC is immediately sent to me...

They started a thread about English poetry that lasted for a week.
(Around October or September last year). When I protested
they made a point in going ON and ON.

--
jacob navia
jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr

Keith Thompson

Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
[...]
> Correct. But offtopic.

[...]
> Also correct, and also offtopic.

Indeed. This whole thread, even though it's marked "[OT]", has
absolutely nothing to do with C, and is not appropriate in this
newsgroup. Please take it somewhere else.

[...]

Keith Thompson

Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
[...]
> Correct. But offtopic.

[...]
> Also correct, and also offtopic.

Indeed. This whole thread has absolutely nothing to do with C, and
even though it's marked "[OT]", it's not appropriate in this
newsgroup. Please take it somewhere else.

[...]

CBFalconer

Keith Thompson wrote:
> Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> [...]
>> Correct. But offtopic.

> [...]
>> Also correct, and also offtopic.

> Indeed. This whole thread has absolutely nothing to do with C,
> and even though it's marked "[OT]", it's not appropriate in this
> newsgroup. Please take it somewhere else.

True. However do you realize that this, and many other of your
posts, are multi-posted. The postings are something like 1 second
apart (in this case).

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>
Try the download section.