Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Locating *Specific* Information and Then Saving It After Using Adobe Reader 8.1

Locating *Specific* Information and Then Saving It After Using Adobe Reader 8.1

Martin

Hello and Happy New Year!

I have *many* PDFs to search at the same time, seeking content common to all
of them.

I placed all the PDFs in the same folder so that Adode Reader 8.1 could
*focus* on it.

This is the procedure that I follow:

Open PDF > Click "Edit" > Click "Search" > "Browse For Location" after
clicking the drop-down arrow to the right of "Look In".

After doing the above, there are many choices to make depending upon the
form field, so to speak.

It's the number of choices that has me stymied. Perhaps that's the reason
that I can't find the content that I'm seeking unless it's just *one word*,
in which case I can find it.

For example, let's say that I have PDFs containing the names of hundreds of
companies, but I want to find only three of them. The three are:
Red White Blue Company
Red White Blue Ltd.
Red White Blue Inc.

If I enter *only* Company in "What word or phrase would you like to search
for?", only Red White Blue Company will be located.

On the other hand, if I enter red, white or blue in "What word or phrase
would you like to search for?", then *all* instances of Red White Blue
Company, Red White Blue Ltd. and Red White Blue Inc. will be located during
the same search.

That's not the desired result. I want to locate all instances of Red White
Blue Company and only Red White Blue Company in a search.

Equally, when I search for Red White Blue Ltd., I want my search results
limited to Red White Blue Ltd. only.

When searching, I've entered "red white blue company" (without quotation
marks) below the field "Use these additional criteria" and then, using the
drop-down arrow, chose "keywords".

That didn't help at all, as all instances of Red White Blue Company, Red
White Blue Ltd. and Red White Blue Inc. were located.

I feel that, with so many choices, it's inevitable that I will be able to
locate *only* that information that I'm seeking, but I'm stymied as to how
to do so.

Additionally, after locating the information, is there some way to save the
search results, either in Adobe or in/through another software? I haven't
been able to save them.

As always, the readers of this NG have always been most helpful in assisting
me when I've hit the proverbial brick wall.

Thanks to all who will take the time to reply with a solution!

Regards,

Martin

Christopher Jahn

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:H6zej.130276$(E-Mail Removed):

> When searching, I've entered "red white blue company" (without
> quotation marks)

Try it WITH quotation marks.

--
} Christopher Jahn
{ http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

Build a system even a fool can use, and only a fool will use it.

Martin

Hello Christopher.

I tried using quotation marks, but Adobe is unlike Google.

Adobe is literal in that Red White Blue Company would need to have quotation
marks immediately before and after it in order for instances of it could be
located.

Since "Red White Blue Company" (WITH quotation marks) does not appear
anywhere in any of the PDFs, the results will be nil.

Thank you for taking the time to offer a solution!

Regards,

Martin

:
: > When searching, I've entered "red white blue company" (without
: > quotation marks)
:
: Try it WITH quotation marks.
:
: --
: } Christopher Jahn
: { http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/
:
: Build a system even a fool can use, and only a fool will use it.

thanatoid

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:0mzej.195482$(E-Mail Removed) :

> Hello Christopher.
>
> I tried using quotation marks, but Adobe is unlike Google.
>
> Adobe is literal in that Red White Blue Company would need
> to have quotation marks immediately before and after it in
> order for instances of it could be located.
>
> Since "Red White Blue Company" (WITH quotation marks) does
> not appear anywhere in any of the PDFs, the results will be
> nil.
>
> Thank you for taking the time to offer a solution!

Get a PDF editor which will allow you to save the text embedded
in the PDF as a txt file. Get a decent text editor (edxor,
notetab light, even a REAL file manager with a viewer with a
search function will do, like total commander) and do the search
and everything else there. Needless to say you will be able to
save the results.

Foxit software has a free or almost free PDF editor, I believe.

If not for the fact that PDF's of a txt file are smaller than
the next file (and I would REALLY like to know HOW they do it) I
would say forget PDF unless you care about the layout and the
pix, if any.

--
Needless to say, I disdain such idiocies as Xmas and New Year's,
but I'd thought I'd play along just once...

thanatoid's New Year's Resolutions.

01. Stop posting good advice to help newsgroups.
02. Stop posting stupid advice to help newsgroups.
03. Drive to see the Grand Canyon and then to Las Vegas, buy a
gun.
04. Gamble a little in a desperate attempt to fit in for once.
05. Hire 5 of the best looking Las Vegas hookers and have a 3
hour orgy.
06. Have a king-size eggs and bacon and hashbrowns with onions
breakfast.
07. Return to hotel room, put gun in mouth and pull trigger.

Phat Sam

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 22:43:09 GMT, "Martin"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello Christopher.
>
>I tried using quotation marks, but Adobe is unlike Google.
>
>Adobe is literal in that Red White Blue Company would need to have quotation
>marks immediately before and after it in order for instances of it could be
>located.
>
>Since "Red White Blue Company" (WITH quotation marks) does not appear
>anywhere in any of the PDFs, the results will be nil.

Why insist on using Acrobat Reader, a program for merely displaying
PDF files as some form of Database Lookup software. I'd recommend
converting your .pdf's to either ASCII Text (then importing them into
Excel, or converting them directly to Excel, depending on how they was
printed and all.... That, or even better ask the people you got them
from to provide the data in a more useable format.... ABC Convertor
can convert PDFs to several text formats and there's a freeware set of
utilities that will do all kinds of PDF processing that someone once
posted about in here.... All command-line, you convert it to raw text,
have it perform certain functions on it, or extract all pictures,
etc.... Though it also requires ghost-script to be installed....

Christopher Jahn

Phat Sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I'd recommend
> converting your .pdf's to either ASCII Text (then importing
> them into Excel, or converting them directly to Excel,
> depending on how they was printed and all....

That's great, if you have Excel. PDFs are to guarantee that
people can read it, and see it the way you crafted it. No other
format does that.

In this case, the problem is not the format per se, but finding a
particular item in a large document.

--
} Christopher Jahn
{ http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

Nietzsche thought he was the Antichrist or Dionysus, but that
was after the syphilis crossed the blood-brain barrier.

Martin

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestions regarding how to locate and save what I'm
seeking.

I'm looking forward to at least one of them being relevant to my needs.

Regards,

Martin