Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Copying standard VHS tapes to DVD via computer

Copying standard VHS tapes to DVD via computer

=?Utf-8?B?SnVsaWE=?=

Hello, has anybody any idea if it is possible and how to copy standard VHS
tapes to DVD. I have a DVD burner in my computer but don't know where to
start with this one. Many thanks

=?Utf-8?B?QW50aG9ueQ==?=

Julia,

The only thing I can think of is to install a video card in your computer
wth TV video in/out capabilities. With this card, it will allow you to
convert a analog signal in a digital signal and record the file on your hard
drive. I use a ATI video card but I found out (...the hard way) that
Microsoft does not support this software in Windows XP, but 98 or Millennium
does work.

Microsoft is supporting their own version of these software to monopolize
the market but they have unsuccessful with their product. If you should
install a third-party video card, just make sure it is Windows XP compatible.
If it is not, then maybe (...just maybe) you may want to create a dual-boot
on your computer with Windows 98 or Millennium.

You will need the third-party software to convert the file to a DVD format.
You will have to check their product to see if it offers that type of
conversion.

Good Luck!

"Julia" wrote:

> Hello, has anybody any idea if it is possible and how to copy standard VHS
> tapes to DVD. I have a DVD burner in my computer but don't know where to
> start with this one. Many thanks

=?Utf-8?B?UnVzc2VsbA==?=

Julia,

ADS Technologies makes a device that can connect VCRs, cameras, etc. to your
USB port. It comes with software to make it all work. I can't think of what
it's called but it costs about $80 or so. You might be able to find it on
eBay for a lot less.

Russell

"Julia" wrote:

> Hello, has anybody any idea if it is possible and how to copy standard VHS
> tapes to DVD. I have a DVD burner in my computer but don't know where to
> start with this one. Many thanks

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=

Julia,
I use a Dazzle digital video creator 120 made by Pinacle Systems. It is an
Analog video capture device the plugs into your USB port. It has the standard
red, white and yellow input jacks and comes with video editing and DVD
burning software.

"Julia" wrote:

> Hello, has anybody any idea if it is possible and how to copy standard VHS
> tapes to DVD. I have a DVD burner in my computer but don't know where to
> start with this one. Many thanks

J. Clarke

Julia wrote:

> Hello, has anybody any idea if it is possible and how to copy standard VHS
> tapes to DVD. I have a DVD burner in my computer but don't know where to
> start with this one. Many thanks

Many ways to do this.

Some digital camcorders have analog inputs and can recode the signal to
digital which is sent out on the Firewire port--if you have a digital
camcorder that has this feature (all of them don't) then this would be the
best way to go unless you have the budget for pro equipment. You might
have to spend $30 or so for a Firewire board.

A substitute for a digital camcorder would be a Canopus ADVC-100 or 110, but
it's not a lot cheaper than a camcorder.

There are other, cheaper devices that work, but the quality of the transfer
will usually be lower.

You can also add a video capture board to your machine--there are many on
the market, some cheap, some expensive--the cheap ones will use the CPU to
do most of the work and will drop frames or produce other artifacts if your
CPU is not super fast, the more expensive ones have hardware encoder chips
that eliminate this problem but restrict you to the encodings implemented
in the hardware in the chip, which is likely not optimal for DVD recording.

For $400 or so you can get a standalone device that will transfer VHS tapes
to DVD.

You might want to do a little more research and then post questions on
rec.video.desktop, which is a newsgroup dedicated to video editing and
production using PCs. You'll find real expertise there (and also a lot of
idiots and trolls unfortunately).

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

VHS to DVD stand-alone boxes - how to record 6 hr VHS tapes ? - Bobb - DVD Video 16 01-04-2007 09:21 PM
Copying standard VHS videos to DVD via computer. =?Utf-8?B?SnVsaWE=?= Microsoft Certification 3 03-13-2006 06:29 PM
Copy VHS Tapes to DVD EFK DVD Video 1 01-02-2004 12:09 AM
Pioneer DVR-810H - convert VHS tapes to DVD? Dooner DVD Video 1 12-12-2003 02:42 PM
Newbie question regarding multiple DVD's of VHS tapes nan DVD Video 4 09-24-2003 11:58 PM

Advertisments