Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WPA-PSK is driving me nuts - HELP?

WPA-PSK is driving me nuts - HELP?

Sven Pran

I have a local wireless network with a Jensen AL-2954
router and two clients: a 3COM PCMCIA card
3CRWE154G72 in a PC with Windows 98SE and a
D-Link DWL-G810 connected to Windows 98.

First I had great problems getting the D-Link to work
with WPA-PSK, that problem was finally solved when I
discovered that D-Link apparently does not support
"Group Key Update" (varying the encryption master
key at regular intervals).

My 3COM card has worked fine all the time , both
with WEP and with WPA-PSK, but suddenly it no
longer works with WPA-PSK?

I did some maintenance and it could seem as if I have
deleted something I shouldn't have deleted, but I am
completely unable to identify what that can have been.
I have even cleaned up the network configuration in the
PC and installed the 3COM card from scratch again.

From the router log my best guess is that the 3COM
card cannot authenticate itself to the router when in
WPA-PSK mode. At the very moment I switch from
WPA-PSK to WEP, replacing only the encryption mode
and the key(s), everything works fine.

The D-Link now works fine both in WEP mode and in
WPA-PSK mode, and yes - I have double-checked
that they use identical keys for WPA-PSK.

D-Link "knows" both TKIP and AES while 3COM only
knows TKIP. I used to have encryption mode set to
"Automatic" in nthe router which worked fine, now I
have set it to TKIP with no help.

Suggestions will be appreciated!

regards Sven

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
The security starts with the Wireless Router/Access Point.
The Wireless Router has to be set to a certain level and all the clients
have to follow.
If even one of the clients can not follow, the setting of the Wireless
Router's security has to be reduced.
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
your Wireless hardware.
phrase.
of one of the Wireless devices.
device with a better one.
Setting Wireless Security - <http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html>
<http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html>
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Sven Pran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a local wireless network with a Jensen AL-2954
> router and two clients: a 3COM PCMCIA card
> 3CRWE154G72 in a PC with Windows 98SE and a
> D-Link DWL-G810 connected to Windows 98.
>
> First I had great problems getting the D-Link to work
> with WPA-PSK, that problem was finally solved when I
> discovered that D-Link apparently does not support
> "Group Key Update" (varying the encryption master
> key at regular intervals).
>
> My 3COM card has worked fine all the time , both
> with WEP and with WPA-PSK, but suddenly it no
> longer works with WPA-PSK?
>
> I did some maintenance and it could seem as if I have
> deleted something I shouldn't have deleted, but I am
> completely unable to identify what that can have been.
> I have even cleaned up the network configuration in the
> PC and installed the 3COM card from scratch again.
>
> From the router log my best guess is that the 3COM
> card cannot authenticate itself to the router when in
> WPA-PSK mode. At the very moment I switch from
> WPA-PSK to WEP, replacing only the encryption mode
> and the key(s), everything works fine.
>
> The D-Link now works fine both in WEP mode and in
> WPA-PSK mode, and yes - I have double-checked
> that they use identical keys for WPA-PSK.
>
> D-Link "knows" both TKIP and AES while 3COM only
> knows TKIP. I used to have encryption mode set to
> "Automatic" in nthe router which worked fine, now I
> have set it to TKIP with no help.
>
> Suggestions will be appreciated!
>
> regards Sven

Sven Pran

Thanks, but I'm afraid this doesn't help me much.

OK, here is my complete network:

Jensen router with four clients:

Windows Vista cable connected
Windows XP SP2 Home edition cable connected
Windows 98 Cable connected to D-Link G810, wireless to the router
Windows 98SE DELL Inspiron 5100 with 3COM wireless to the router.

MAC filter active, Broadcast active

Entire network is operational with WEP

The highest security level I have been able to use is WPA-PSK. This
became possible when I found out that I had to zero (disable)
"Group Key Update" in the router. With this parameter active the DLink
client dropped contact first time a key update was scheduled. (3COM
handled this perfectly.)

I cannot run WPA2 and I cannot run AES. My router suports both but
my DLink does not support WPA2 and 3COM does not support AES.

My router can be set to "Automatic" and initially this worked perfectly.
Specifying TKIP instead of Automatic now makes no difference.

My problem is that the 3COM client no longer makes contact with the
router when the network is changed from using WEP to using WPA-PSK.

The router indicates that it has seen the client and sent some packets
but not received any at all?

I fear that I may have deleted some configuration parameters that
shouldn't have been deleted when I did some cleanup after removing
a 3COM Ethernet card 3CCFE575CT, but even completely
reinstalling the 3COM wireless card hasn't helped.

After all: The 3COM wireless card worked perfectly with either
WPA-PSK or WEP, now it only works with WEP and I can't find out
why?

That is what is driving me nuts.

regards Sven

news:%23Q%(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> longer works with WPA-PSK?
>>
>> I did some maintenance and it could seem as if I have
>> deleted something I shouldn't have deleted, but I am
>> completely unable to identify what that can have been.
>> I have even cleaned up the network configuration in the
>> PC and installed the 3COM card from scratch again.
>>
>> From the router log my best guess is that the 3COM
>> card cannot authenticate itself to the router when in
>> WPA-PSK mode. At the very moment I switch from
>> WPA-PSK to WEP, replacing only the encryption mode
>> and the key(s), everything works fine.
>>
>> The D-Link now works fine both in WEP mode and in
>> WPA-PSK mode, and yes - I have double-checked
>> that they use identical keys for WPA-PSK.
>>
>> D-Link "knows" both TKIP and AES while 3COM only
>> knows TKIP. I used to have encryption mode set to
>> "Automatic" in nthe router which worked fine, now I

Lem

Sven Pran wrote:
> [...]
>>> longer works with WPA-PSK?
>>>
>>> I did some maintenance and it could seem as if I have
>>> deleted something I shouldn't have deleted, but I am
>>> completely unable to identify what that can have been.
>>> I have even cleaned up the network configuration in the
>>> PC and installed the 3COM card from scratch again.
>>>
>>> From the router log my best guess is that the 3COM
>>> card cannot authenticate itself to the router when in
>>> WPA-PSK mode. At the very moment I switch from
>>> WPA-PSK to WEP, replacing only the encryption mode
>>> and the key(s), everything works fine.
>>>
>>> The D-Link now works fine both in WEP mode and in
>>> WPA-PSK mode, and yes - I have double-checked
>>> that they use identical keys for WPA-PSK.
>>>
>>> D-Link "knows" both TKIP and AES while 3COM only
>>> knows TKIP. I used to have encryption mode set to
>>> "Automatic" in nthe router which worked fine, now I

The D-Link DWL-G810 is an obsolescent piece of equipment. As originally
released, it was only capable of using WEP encryption. If you have
upgraded the firmware (minimum version 2.13 (but that was a beta
version)) it should be capable of WPA-PSK. The ability to renew the
master key periodically (Group Key Renewal Interval) is an additional
security mechanism, and the DWL-G810 *should* be able to handle it. If
it doesn't, try upgrading to the most recent firmware, which AFAIK is
version 2.20. The DWL-G810 will never be able to do WPA2, and probably
cannot handle AES either.

Your 3Com card is also pretty old. It may also have only supported WEP
when it was first released. Perhaps when you "cleaned up" the 3Com
Ethernet card you deleted the newer driver and/or connection management
software. If you reinstalled these from a CD you had from when you
bought the card, try downloading the most recent version:
http://www.3com.com/swd/jsp/user/index.jsp?id=OCPC7

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
I understand your pain, but your combination of Wireless is rather unusual.
Win98 as well as win2000 do not support WPA2 (WPA-AES is basically the same
thing).
Win98 was conceived before the Wireless era, at the time the WIFI alliance
mandated that Wireless provider would issue hardware that can do WPA on
Win98. However not all Wireless is WIFI certified, and many manufacturers
supported Win98 in a very simplistic way; as a result WPA support for
Wireless Hardware working with Win98 is spotty.
The one thing that I learned is Not to obsess about is worked before. It
does not work Now. so one has to find a cost effective way to make it work.
I would first try to enable the "Group Key Update" in the router a see if
the 3-com starts to work again on WPA level.
If it does you have to make a decision either to get rid of the 3com, so
that the D-Link would work, or get rid of the D-Link.
I do not know where you reside but when I am at I would get this.
It an excellent PCI card and when needed l am all set. $30, and trouble
gone.
I do have a Win98 installation for support purposes, unfortunately it is on
a VirtualPC, and thus useless for debugging Wireless and thus I can not go
into the OS to see what the Wireless might be missing.
Good Luck, and happy new year.
> [...]

>>> longer works with WPA-PSK?
>>>
>>> I did some maintenance and it could seem as if I have
>>> deleted something I shouldn't have deleted, but I am
>>> completely unable to identify what that can have been.
>>> I have even cleaned up the network configuration in the
>>> PC and installed the 3COM card from scratch again.
>>>
>>> From the router log my best guess is that the 3COM
>>> card cannot authenticate itself to the router when in
>>> WPA-PSK mode. At the very moment I switch from
>>> WPA-PSK to WEP, replacing only the encryption mode
>>> and the key(s), everything works fine.
>>>
>>> The D-Link now works fine both in WEP mode and in
>>> WPA-PSK mode, and yes - I have double-checked
>>> that they use identical keys for WPA-PSK.
>>>
>>> D-Link "knows" both TKIP and AES while 3COM only
>>> knows TKIP. I used to have encryption mode set to
>>> "Automatic" in nthe router which worked fine, now I

Sven Pran

"Lem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>> Setting Wireless Security -
>>> <http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html>
>>> The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
>>> <http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html>
>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>
>>> "Sven Pran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> The D-Link DWL-G810 is an obsolescent piece of equipment. As originally
> released, it was only capable of using WEP encryption. If you have
> upgraded the firmware (minimum version 2.13 (but that was a beta version))
> it should be capable of WPA-PSK. The ability to renew the master key
> periodically (Group Key Renewal Interval) is an additional security
> mechanism, and the DWL-G810 *should* be able to handle it. If it doesn't,
> try upgrading to the most recent firmware, which AFAIK is version 2.20.
> The DWL-G810 will never be able to do WPA2, and probably cannot handle AES

I have version 3.15 and it works with WPA-PSK except that it cannot handle
"Group Key Renewal".

> Your 3Com card is also pretty old. It may also have only supported WEP
> when it was first released. Perhaps when you "cleaned up" the 3Com
> Ethernet card you deleted the newer driver and/or connection management
> software. If you reinstalled these from a CD you had from when you bought
> the card, try downloading the most recent version:
> http://www.3com.com/swd/jsp/user/index.jsp?id=OCPC7

Yes, I am going to try that as well

Thanks

regards Sven

> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

Sven Pran

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I understand your pain, but your combination of Wireless is rather
> unusual.
> Win98 as well as win2000 do not support WPA2 (WPA-AES is basically the
> same thing).
> Win98 was conceived before the Wireless era, at the time the WIFI alliance
> mandated that Wireless provider would issue hardware that can do WPA on
> Win98. However not all Wireless is WIFI certified, and many manufacturers
> supported Win98 in a very simplistic way; as a result WPA support for
> Wireless Hardware working with Win98 is spotty.
> The one thing that I learned is Not to obsess about is worked before. It
> does not work Now. so one has to find a cost effective way to make it
> work.
> I would first try to enable the "Group Key Update" in the router a see if
> the 3-com starts to work again on WPA level.
> If it does you have to make a decision either to get rid of the 3com, so
> that the D-Link would work, or get rid of the D-Link.
> I do not know where you reside but when I am at I would get this.
> It an excellent PCI card and when needed l am all set. $30, and trouble
> gone.

Except that what is causing me headache is the 3Com PCMCIA card in the
Win98SE machine. According to documentation (and management software)
it shall support WPA-PSK. It did, but does no longer? DLink operates
satisfactory now.

regards Sven

> [...]
>>> All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
>>> phrase.
>>> Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
>>> possible of one of the Wireless devices.
>>> I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to
>>> the max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to
>>> max . of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
>>> If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that
>>> can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network,
>>> replace the device with a better one.
>>> Setting Wireless Security -
>>> <http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html>
>>> The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
>>> <http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html>
>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>
>>> "Sven Pran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Sven Pran

More on this problem:

PCMCIA card: 3CRWE154G72 has (as mentioned before)
worked perfectly in my DELL Inspiron 5100 both with WEP
and with WPA-PSK, but suddenly it no longer works with
WPA-PSK?

I did some maintenance and it could seem as if I have
deleted something I shouldn't have deleted, but I am
completely unable to identify what that can have been.

I have even cleaned up the network configuration in the
PC and installed the 3COM card from scratch again.

When I tried the 3COM card in another laptop I have
(running XP) it worked perfectly also with WPA-PSK.

Now I am looking for something in Windows 98SE that
can be necessary for WPA-PSK to function but which
is not needed for WEP, and that I can accidentally have
lost during my maintenance?

Still grateful for comments and suggestions.

Regards Sven

Sven Pran

I begin to suspect that what I have lost is some kind of a
"Wireless Manager" which for Windows systems previous
to Windows XP SP2 must be installed separatly(?).

My search continues, but I shall still be grateful for any
suggestions.

regards Sven

"Sven Pran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> More on this problem:
>
> PCMCIA card: 3CRWE154G72 has (as mentioned before)
> worked perfectly in my DELL Inspiron 5100 both with WEP
> and with WPA-PSK, but suddenly it no longer works with
> WPA-PSK?
>
> I did some maintenance and it could seem as if I have
> deleted something I shouldn't have deleted, but I am
> completely unable to identify what that can have been.
>
> I have even cleaned up the network configuration in the
> PC and installed the 3COM card from scratch again.
>
> When I tried the 3COM card in another laptop I have
> (running XP) it worked perfectly also with WPA-PSK.
>
> Now I am looking for something in Windows 98SE that
> can be necessary for WPA-PSK to function but which
> is not needed for WEP, and that I can accidentally have
> lost during my maintenance?
>
> Still grateful for comments and suggestions.
>
> Regards Sven

James Egan

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:54:47 +0100, "Sven Pran" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I begin to suspect that what I have lost is some kind of a
>"Wireless Manager" which for Windows systems previous
>to Windows XP SP2 must be installed separatly(?).

Windows xp was the first version with inbuilt support for wireless
networking. To use wireless with win98 you must install and use the
manufacturer's own control software. Often the supplied driver cd is
out of date and a trip to the manufacturer's website for an update is
recommended.

Jim.