Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Folder/File permissions

Folder/File permissions

John Smith

I've been on microsoft's site and read a couple of KB's regarding
folder/file permissions. Share level folder permissions are supposed to be
combined with NTFS file permissions in order to apply the most restrictive
permissions. on the folder level alone i'm assinging the deny permissions to
full control, read, and change, but i'm still able to write to the folder
from my other networked pc. am i doing something wrong?

LRM

All gawked in amazement when: John Smith assaulted us with:
> I've been on microsoft's site and read a couple of KB's regarding
> folder/file permissions. Share level folder permissions are supposed
> to be combined with NTFS file permissions in order to apply the most
> restrictive permissions. on the folder level alone i'm assinging the
> deny permissions to full control, read, and change, but i'm still
> able to write to the folder from my other networked pc. am i doing
> something wrong?

Are you logging in with the same account you denied access?
--
LRM
MCNGP 7^2

Bigus DiŠkus

**John Smith's** said this while I was at home:
<<-------------------------------->>
> I've been on microsoft's site and read a couple of KB's regarding
> folder/file permissions. Share level folder permissions are supposed
> to be combined with NTFS file permissions in order to apply the most
> restrictive permissions. on the folder level alone i'm assinging the
> deny permissions to full control, read, and change, but i'm still
> able to write to the folder from my other networked pc. am i doing
> something wrong?

What OS are you running? For this, I'll assume you're running XP Pro. You
can check the *effective* permissions to see if the permissions you set have
taken affect. On the Security Tab, Click Advanced, then Click Effective
Permissions.

Are you logging in as a regular user, and not a user with full control.
Groups or users that are granted Full Control permissions for a folder may
delete files and subfolders in that folder, regardless of the permissions
that protect the files and subfolders.

Also, are you setting the Share Permissions or the Security Permissions?
Their effects are different.
--
Bigus DiŠkus