Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox or Mozilla firefox

Firefox or Mozilla firefox

Tom Allen

Gary Weselle wrote:
> Hi
>

> I have 2 machines, a WinDos 2000 and a Linux Debian, both have firefox
> installed, I am not sure if both have the same versions of firefox
>

> WinDos:
>
> Help > About Mozilla Firefox
>
> Shows version 1.5.0.1
>

> Linux/Debian:
>
> Help > About Firfox
>
> Shows version 1.5.0.1
>

> But the About windows the pop up to show the version don't look the same.
>
> The only thing I can make out of this is that both are different programs
> all together, one is named (Mozilla Firefox) and the other named (Firefox).
>

> Can some one comment on this.

Do they both have the same Theme? I've seen a difference on a number of
items depending upon the theme used.

gwtc

Gary Weselle wrote:
> Hi
>

> I have 2 machines, a WinDos 2000 and a Linux Debian, both have firefox
> installed, I am not sure if both have the same versions of firefox
>

> WinDos:
>
> Help > About Mozilla Firefox
>
> Shows version 1.5.0.1
>

> Linux/Debian:
>
> Help > About Firfox
>
> Shows version 1.5.0.1
>

> But the About windows the pop up to show the version don't look the same.
>
> The only thing I can make out of this is that both are different programs
> all together, one is named (Mozilla Firefox) and the other named (Firefox).
>

> Can some one comment on this.
>

> Thanks

they're both the same program -- Firefox or Mozilla Firefox. One
calls it Firefox the other doesn't.

gwtc

Gary Weselle wrote:
> "gwtc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:duvd8m$sde$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Gary Weselle wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>

>>>I have 2 machines, a WinDos 2000 and a Linux Debian, both have firefox
>>>installed, I am not sure if both have the same versions of firefox
>>>

>>>WinDos:
>>>
>>>Help > About Mozilla Firefox
>>>
>>>Shows version 1.5.0.1
>>>

>>>Linux/Debian:
>>>
>>>Help > About Firfox
>>>
>>>Shows version 1.5.0.1
>>>

>>>But the About windows the pop up to show the version don't look the

> same.
>
>>>The only thing I can make out of this is that both are different

> programs
>
>>>all together, one is named (Mozilla Firefox) and the other named

> (Firefox).
>

>>>Can some one comment on this.
>>>

>>>Thanks
>>>

>>they're both the same program -- Firefox or Mozilla Firefox. One
>>calls it Firefox the other doesn't.

> But Linux/Debian have Edit > Preferences where WinDos2000 have Tools >
> Options just to mention one of the differences.

that is the way of the OS, not the program. Preferences for *just
about* any linux program comes under Edit, while for windows it comes
under tools.

Gary Weselle

Hi

I have 2 machines, a WinDos 2000 and a Linux Debian, both have firefox
installed, I am not sure if both have the same versions of firefox

WinDos:

Help > About Mozilla Firefox

Shows version 1.5.0.1

Linux/Debian:

Help > About Firfox

Shows version 1.5.0.1

But the About windows the pop up to show the version don't look the same.

The only thing I can make out of this is that both are different programs
all together, one is named (Mozilla Firefox) and the other named (Firefox).

Can some one comment on this.

Thanks

Gary Weselle

"Tom Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:znGQf.3908$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Gary Weselle wrote:
> > Hi
> >

> > I have 2 machines, a WinDos 2000 and a Linux Debian, both have firefox
> > installed, I am not sure if both have the same versions of firefox
> >

> > WinDos:
> >
> > Help > About Mozilla Firefox
> >
> > Shows version 1.5.0.1
> >

> > Linux/Debian:
> >
> > Help > About Firfox
> >
> > Shows version 1.5.0.1
> >

> > But the About windows the pop up to show the version don't look the

same.

> > The only thing I can make out of this is that both are different

programs
> > all together, one is named (Mozilla Firefox) and the other named

(Firefox).

> > Can some one comment on this.

> Do they both have the same Theme? I've seen a difference on a number of
> items depending upon the theme used.

They appear to be, I have not change any Themes stuff since I installed
them. However on both of them, under Tools > Themes the windows which popped
up are not 100% identical.

The window is split up to right and left sections and bottoms at the bottom,
the only difference is that the right window on the WinDos2000 shows
(Firefox, the browser loaded) and 5 icons under that but on the Linux/Debian
it is blank. Both read [Firefox (default) 2.0 The default theme] on both of
them.

hummmm

Gary Weselle

"gwtc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:duvd8m$sde$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gary Weselle wrote:
> > Hi
> >

> > I have 2 machines, a WinDos 2000 and a Linux Debian, both have firefox
> > installed, I am not sure if both have the same versions of firefox
> >

> > WinDos:
> >
> > Help > About Mozilla Firefox
> >
> > Shows version 1.5.0.1
> >

> > Linux/Debian:
> >
> > Help > About Firfox
> >
> > Shows version 1.5.0.1
> >

> > But the About windows the pop up to show the version don't look the

same.

> > The only thing I can make out of this is that both are different

programs
> > all together, one is named (Mozilla Firefox) and the other named

(Firefox).

> > Can some one comment on this.
> >

> > Thanks
> >

> they're both the same program -- Firefox or Mozilla Firefox. One
> calls it Firefox the other doesn't.

But Linux/Debian have Edit > Preferences where WinDos2000 have Tools >
Options just to mention one of the differences.

Hendrik Maryns

Gary Weselle schreef:
> Hi
>
> I have 2 machines, a WinDos 2000 and a Linux Debian, both have firefox
> installed, I am not sure if both have the same versions of firefox
>
> WinDos:
>
> Help > About Mozilla Firefox
>
> Shows version 1.5.0.1
>
> Linux/Debian:
>
> Help > About Firfox
>
> Shows version 1.5.0.1
>
> But the About windows the pop up to show the version don't look the same.
>
> The only thing I can make out of this is that both are different programs
> all together, one is named (Mozilla Firefox) and the other named (Firefox).

Strange conclusion.

> Can some one comment on this.

It?s strange, if I look into the localising code, there is no difference
between the Linux and the Windows version, they both use "About
&brandFullName;", which should boil down to About Mozilla Firefox. I
don?t understand why it shows something else on Debian.

> But Linux/Debian have Edit > Preferences where WinDos2000 have Tools >
> Options just to mention one of the differences.

That?s called platform-specific differences. There are certain
conventions on where certain menus and options come in Linux and
Windows. Firefox adheres to them. So in the source you?ll often find
stuff like

<!ENTITY quitApplicationCmdWin.label "Exit">
<!ENTITY quitApplicationCmdWin.accesskey "x">
<!ENTITY quitApplicationCmd.label "Quit">
<!ENTITY quitApplicationCmd.accesskey "Q">
<!ENTITY quitApplicationCmdMac.label "Quit">
<!ENTITY quitApplicationCmdMac.key "Q">

Because in Windows, this command is called Exit, whereas on Linux and
Mac, they are generally called Quit. Also on the sortcuts there are
small differences. So is Downloads Ctrl+J on Windows but Ctrl+Y on
Linux. AFAICT, this is because Ctrl+J is close to Ctrl+K, which has
undesirable effects on some Linux programs. And so on and so on...

H.
--
Hendrik Maryns

www.lieverleven.be