Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP Home: The "size" function for "Open" windows

XP Home: The "size" function for "Open" windows

Sarah Houston

I've tried using this function so many times it's not funny and it never
works the same way again once I close and reopen a program.

For example, I'm in a program and I use the File-Open window function. I
right click on "Size" because I want that window to be bigger. I drag it
out to the size I want it.

I go ahead and open whatever file I want, use it and close the program.

But the next time I use the program, it doesn't remember that bigger size,
it goes right back to a tiny Open-File window again.

This drives me bonkers. Is there any fix for it?

thanatoid

Sarah Houston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns9A17DD2731557SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196. 97.142:

> I've tried using this function so many times it's not funny
> and it never works the same way again once I close and
> reopen a program.
>
> For example, I'm in a program and I use the File-Open
> window function. I right click on "Size" because I want
> that window to be bigger. I drag it out to the size I want
> it.
>
> I go ahead and open whatever file I want, use it and close
> the program.
>
> But the next time I use the program, it doesn't remember
> that bigger size, it goes right back to a tiny Open-File
> window again.
>
> This drives me bonkers. Is there any fix for it?

The file open window has always been a nightmare and I guess
always will be. Just one of many.

Try one of these:

http://digilander.libero.it/importan...eng/index.html

http://www.file-ex.com/fx3summ.html

I have not tried the 1st one and the 2nd was a bit of an
overkill, so I just use a simpler and older one called
WindowsMakeUp but I am pretty certain it wouldn't run on XP nor
could you find it anywhere. But I can post it for you somewhere
if you want to try it.

--
The only cure for stupidity is death.
The only cure for brilliance is death.

olfart

"Sarah Houston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9A17DD2731557SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196. 97.142...
> I've tried using this function so many times it's not funny and it never
> works the same way again once I close and reopen a program.
>
> For example, I'm in a program and I use the File-Open window function. I
> right click on "Size" because I want that window to be bigger. I drag it
> out to the size I want it.
>
> I go ahead and open whatever file I want, use it and close the program.
>
> But the next time I use the program, it doesn't remember that bigger size,
> it goes right back to a tiny Open-File window again.
>
> This drives me bonkers. Is there any fix for it?

try Autosizer from www.southbaypc.com

Oldus Fartus

Sarah Houston wrote:
> I've tried using this function so many times it's not funny and it never
> works the same way again once I close and reopen a program.
>
> For example, I'm in a program and I use the File-Open window function. I
> right click on "Size" because I want that window to be bigger. I drag it
> out to the size I want it.
>
> I go ahead and open whatever file I want, use it and close the program.
>
> But the next time I use the program, it doesn't remember that bigger size,
> it goes right back to a tiny Open-File window again.
>
> This drives me bonkers. Is there any fix for it?

What works for me with *most* programs is to maximise the window to the
size you want, then close the window while holding down the control key.
Normally when you next open the program it will open in the maximised
window. Note, this is normally for programs, rather than the open
files box.

I have just tried it with the File - Open dialogue, and it works the
same, with the programs I have tried. Click on File - Open, then size
the window to the size you want, then close the window using the same
method (click on the X, while holding down the control key). Now click
on File - Open again, and with many programs the window should now open
in the maximised state.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus