Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Network Magic, Win XP, it says I am connected, yet I vcannot get to E-mail etc.

Network Magic, Win XP, it says I am connected, yet I vcannot get to E-mail etc.

Ritter 197

I use Windows XP, Media edition, Network Magic, a fast desktop HP, Comcast
Cable, A D-Link DI 624 Router and a HP late model HP Pavillion laptop.

In the past all worked fine. The desktop is connected to the DI Link router
and then the computer. I can get to E-mail and Firefox fine.

In the laptop it says on the Network Magic icon in the tray that I am
connected and the speed is 5 bars (it sits only a few feet away from
desktop), but I can not get to E-mail or via IE or Firefox to the Internet.

I have tried to reset the D-link router, have powered both the Cable modem
and Router down, have done a restart, but the laptop (with built-in antenna)
still does not connect, even though it says I AM CONNECTED.

I am asking for advice now, since I have run out of ideas, especially since
it used to run fine for months before.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
The fact that you have 5 bars means that there is strong signal, but it does
not mean that you have viable connection between the computer and the
Router.
If there is No connection there is No Internet, or email.
I do not not know the roll of Network Magic in it. AFAIK Network Magic is a
3rd party commercial utility and thus probably provides it own support.
In general this is these pages describe how to evaluate an and configure
Windows Wireless.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Ritter 197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OHfTi3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I use Windows XP, Media edition, Network Magic, a fast desktop HP, Comcast
>Cable, A D-Link DI 624 Router and a HP late model HP Pavillion laptop.
>
> In the past all worked fine. The desktop is connected to the DI Link
> router and then the computer. I can get to E-mail and Firefox fine.
>
> In the laptop it says on the Network Magic icon in the tray that I am
> connected and the speed is 5 bars (it sits only a few feet away from
> desktop), but I can not get to E-mail or via IE or Firefox to the
> Internet.
>
> I have tried to reset the D-link router, have powered both the Cable modem
> and Router down, have done a restart, but the laptop (with built-in
> antenna) still does not connect, even though it says I AM CONNECTED.
>
> I am asking for advice now, since I have run out of ideas, especially
> since it used to run fine for months before.

Bob

Contact Network Magic support.

"Ritter 197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OHfTi3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I use Windows XP, Media edition, Network Magic, a fast desktop HP, Comcast
>Cable, A D-Link DI 624 Router and a HP late model HP Pavillion laptop.
>
> In the past all worked fine. The desktop is connected to the DI Link
> router and then the computer. I can get to E-mail and Firefox fine.
>
> In the laptop it says on the Network Magic icon in the tray that I am
> connected and the speed is 5 bars (it sits only a few feet away from
> desktop), but I can not get to E-mail or via IE or Firefox to the
> Internet.
>
> I have tried to reset the D-link router, have powered both the Cable modem
> and Router down, have done a restart, but the laptop (with built-in
> antenna) still does not connect, even though it says I AM CONNECTED.
>
> I am asking for advice now, since I have run out of ideas, especially
> since it used to run fine for months before.

Chuck [MVP]

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:38:36 -0500, "Ritter 197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use Windows XP, Media edition, Network Magic, a fast desktop HP, Comcast
>Cable, A D-Link DI 624 Router and a HP late model HP Pavillion laptop.
>
>In the past all worked fine. The desktop is connected to the DI Link router
>and then the computer. I can get to E-mail and Firefox fine.
>
>In the laptop it says on the Network Magic icon in the tray that I am
>connected and the speed is 5 bars (it sits only a few feet away from
>desktop), but I can not get to E-mail or via IE or Firefox to the Internet.
>
>I have tried to reset the D-link router, have powered both the Cable modem
>and Router down, have done a restart, but the laptop (with built-in antenna)
>still does not connect, even though it says I AM CONNECTED.
>
>I am asking for advice now, since I have run out of ideas, especially since
>it used to run fine for months before.

There are a few helpers here that advise people to install Network Magic when
they report problems with Windows Networking (file / printer shares).

Network Magic is a magical product. It doesn't use all of the normal TCP/IP
networking components that Microsoft Windows Networking uses. A lot of the
advice that we provide here won't be effective, if Network Magic is involved.

Can you get any Internet services, at all? Can you get any services, that use
IP address instead of names?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/05/identifying-dns-problem-in-your.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...m-in-your.html

I'd suggest that you start from the bottom layer, and work up.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-internet-service.html#AskingForHelp>
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-internet-service.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...t-service.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

Ritter 197

I have contacted them. No reply yet. These NG's are ususally much better AND
faster.

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Contact Network Magic support.
>
> "Ritter 197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OHfTi3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I use Windows XP, Media edition, Network Magic, a fast desktop HP, Comcast
>>Cable, A D-Link DI 624 Router and a HP late model HP Pavillion laptop.
>>
>> In the past all worked fine. The desktop is connected to the DI Link
>> router and then the computer. I can get to E-mail and Firefox fine.
>>
>> In the laptop it says on the Network Magic icon in the tray that I am
>> connected and the speed is 5 bars (it sits only a few feet away from
>> desktop), but I can not get to E-mail or via IE or Firefox to the
>> Internet.
>>
>> I have tried to reset the D-link router, have powered both the Cable
>> modem and Router down, have done a restart, but the laptop (with built-in
>> antenna) still does not connect, even though it says I AM CONNECTED.
>>
>> I am asking for advice now, since I have run out of ideas, especially
>> since it used to run fine for months before.

Ritter 197

I understand that 5 bars do not equal connection. BUT I does say Network
Magic in the task bar (at the bottom) says I am connected. THAT is what
makes it so confusing.

"Chuck [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:38:36 -0500, "Ritter 197" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I use Windows XP, Media edition, Network Magic, a fast desktop HP, Comcast
>>Cable, A D-Link DI 624 Router and a HP late model HP Pavillion laptop.
>>
>>In the past all worked fine. The desktop is connected to the DI Link
>>router
>>and then the computer. I can get to E-mail and Firefox fine.
>>
>>In the laptop it says on the Network Magic icon in the tray that I am
>>connected and the speed is 5 bars (it sits only a few feet away from
>>desktop), but I can not get to E-mail or via IE or Firefox to the
>>Internet.
>>
>>I have tried to reset the D-link router, have powered both the Cable modem
>>and Router down, have done a restart, but the laptop (with built-in
>>antenna)
>>still does not connect, even though it says I AM CONNECTED.
>>
>>I am asking for advice now, since I have run out of ideas, especially
>>since
>>it used to run fine for months before.

> There are a few helpers here that advise people to install Network Magic
> when
> they report problems with Windows Networking (file / printer shares).
>
> Network Magic is a magical product. It doesn't use all of the normal
> TCP/IP
> networking components that Microsoft Windows Networking uses. A lot of
> the
> advice that we provide here won't be effective, if Network Magic is
> involved.
>
> Can you get any Internet services, at all? Can you get any services, that
> use
> IP address instead of names?
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/05/identifying-dns-problem-in-your.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...m-in-your.html
>
> I'd suggest that you start from the bottom layer, and work up.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-internet-service.html#AskingForHelp>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-internet-service.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...t-service.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Regardless of NetMagic, you cam not just stick to statement "It says that it
is Connected".
I can make a list of hundred causes that can result in No email, No
Internet.
When you say No Internet, is it only the Internet or the whole network
connection?
Can you connect to the Router from the computer when it loses the Internet?
Did you look at the network parameters as shown at the pages that I linked
before.
You need to start looking into the system, might be that you would find the
answer yourself, or at least would be able to provide information beyond the
mere fact that it does not working.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:uyFi%23%(E-Mail Removed)...

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 19:46:27 -0500, "Ritter 197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:38:36 -0500, "Ritter 197" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I use Windows XP, Media edition, Network Magic, a fast desktop HP, Comcast
>>>Cable, A D-Link DI 624 Router and a HP late model HP Pavillion laptop.
>>>
>>>In the past all worked fine. The desktop is connected to the DI Link
>>>router
>>>and then the computer. I can get to E-mail and Firefox fine.
>>>
>>>In the laptop it says on the Network Magic icon in the tray that I am
>>>connected and the speed is 5 bars (it sits only a few feet away from
>>>desktop), but I can not get to E-mail or via IE or Firefox to the
>>>Internet.
>>>
>>>I have tried to reset the D-link router, have powered both the Cable modem
>>>and Router down, have done a restart, but the laptop (with built-in
>>>antenna)
>>>still does not connect, even though it says I AM CONNECTED.
>>>
>>>I am asking for advice now, since I have run out of ideas, especially
>>>since
>>>it used to run fine for months before.

>> There are a few helpers here that advise people to install Network Magic
>> when
>> they report problems with Windows Networking (file / printer shares).
>>
>> Network Magic is a magical product. It doesn't use all of the normal
>> TCP/IP
>> networking components that Microsoft Windows Networking uses. A lot of
>> the
>> advice that we provide here won't be effective, if Network Magic is
>> involved.
>>
>> Can you get any Internet services, at all? Can you get any services, that
>> use
>> IP address instead of names?
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/05/identifying-dns-problem-in-your.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...m-in-your.html
>>
>> I'd suggest that you start from the bottom layer, and work up.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-internet-service.html#AskingForHelp>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-internet-service.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...t-service.html

>I understand that 5 bars do not equal connection. BUT I does say Network
>Magic in the task bar (at the bottom) says I am connected. THAT is what
>makes it so confusing.

One of the problems is that "5 bars" can have any number of interpretations, and
a "5 bars" display in one product won't mean the same as "5 bars" in another
product. In many cases, "5 bars" in one product will be "3 bars" in another.

Network Magic generally provides a connection to the local network. There are
issues that will affect Internet connectivity that won't affect local
connectivity. Read the articles.

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.

Ritter 197

Thank you all for various suggestions. I read all and went also to many of
the Hyperlinks.

What finally solved the problem (which really makes no sense to me but it
did fix the problem) is this.

I had tried the Wizard for the Wireless in the D-link624 many times before
and it did not solve the problem.
This time it worked and the ONLY thing I changed is that I went from the
default name of "admin" to a new, different one.

Right after that (and after I unplugged the Router for 20 seconds and then
re-applied power, I had the Internet, E-mail and newsgroups on both the
desktop and the laptop.

Problem solved.

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 23:21:07 -0500, "Ritter 197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 19:46:27 -0500, "Ritter 197" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"Chuck [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>>I understand that 5 bars do not equal connection. BUT I does say Network
>>>Magic in the task bar (at the bottom) says I am connected. THAT is what
>>>makes it so confusing.

>> One of the problems is that "5 bars" can have any number of
>> interpretations, and
>> a "5 bars" display in one product won't mean the same as "5 bars" in
>> another
>> product. In many cases, "5 bars" in one product will be "3 bars" in
>> another.
>>
>> Network Magic generally provides a connection to the local network. There
>> are
>> issues that will affect Internet connectivity that won't affect local
>> connectivity. Read the articles.

>Thank you all for various suggestions. I read all and went also to many of
>the Hyperlinks.
>
>What finally solved the problem (which really makes no sense to me but it
>did fix the problem) is this.
>
>I had tried the Wizard for the Wireless in the D-link624 many times before
>and it did not solve the problem.
>This time it worked and the ONLY thing I changed is that I went from the
>default name of "admin" to a new, different one.
>
>Right after that (and after I unplugged the Router for 20 seconds and then
>re-applied power, I had the Internet, E-mail and newsgroups on both the
>desktop and the laptop.
>
>Problem solved.

Congrats on your persistence, and thanks for updating the thread.

--
Cheers,