Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > clean install

clean install

jiwan singh

MY COMPUTER IS RUNNING VERY SLOW. I DEFRAGED THE HARD
DRIVE BUT STILL SLOW. YOU THINK I SHOULD FORMATE THE DRIVE AND RUN RECOVERY
DISKS ? WHEN I PUT RECOVERY DISK IN , WILL IT AUTOMATCALLY START INSTALLING
? WHAT WILL BE THE SIMPLE DIRECTIONS TO DO SO? IS THERE A WEB SIGHT FOR
DIRECTIONS OR I JUST DO IT BY TRIAL AND ERRORS. THE IDEA IS NOT TO TAKE TO
THE SHOP AND SAVE MONEY AND LEARN. I AM A SENIOR CITIZEN RETIRED 3 YEARS
AGO. PLEASE SEE IF YOU CAN GIVE ME SOME DIRECTIONS.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU

Rgr

jiwan singh wrote:
> MY COMPUTER IS RUNNING VERY SLOW. I DEFRAGED THE HARD
> DRIVE BUT STILL SLOW. YOU THINK I SHOULD FORMATE THE DRIVE AND RUN RECOVERY
> DISKS ? WHEN I PUT RECOVERY DISK IN , WILL IT AUTOMATCALLY START INSTALLING
> ? WHAT WILL BE THE SIMPLE DIRECTIONS TO DO SO? IS THERE A WEB SIGHT FOR
> DIRECTIONS OR I JUST DO IT BY TRIAL AND ERRORS. THE IDEA IS NOT TO TAKE TO
> THE SHOP AND SAVE MONEY AND LEARN. I AM A SENIOR CITIZEN RETIRED 3 YEARS
> AGO. PLEASE SEE IF YOU CAN GIVE ME SOME DIRECTIONS.

That might speed it up, but without knowing exactly why it slowed down
it's hard to say. Most recovery disks will start automatically if you
have them in the computer when it is restarted. Good luck, and if you
have any data such as pictures or financial records on the computer,
make back ups before starting.

Alfred

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 07:14:12 -0800, "jiwan singh"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> MY COMPUTER IS RUNNING VERY SLOW. I DEFRAGED THE HARD
>DRIVE BUT STILL SLOW. YOU THINK I SHOULD FORMATE THE DRIVE AND RUN RECOVERY
>DISKS ? WHEN I PUT RECOVERY DISK IN , WILL IT AUTOMATCALLY START INSTALLING
>? WHAT WILL BE THE SIMPLE DIRECTIONS TO DO SO? IS THERE A WEB SIGHT FOR
>DIRECTIONS OR I JUST DO IT BY TRIAL AND ERRORS. THE IDEA IS NOT TO TAKE TO
>THE SHOP AND SAVE MONEY AND LEARN. I AM A SENIOR CITIZEN RETIRED 3 YEARS
>AGO. PLEASE SEE IF YOU CAN GIVE ME SOME DIRECTIONS.
>
> HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU
>
> (E-Mail Removed)

Have you anti virus and anti spyware installed?
If not go to
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
And take a free check. It might take a few hours but would save a
complete reinstall if it found any malware.

Atlas Shrugged

"jiwan singh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cH7ej.2253$(E-Mail Removed)...
> MY COMPUTER IS RUNNING VERY SLOW. I DEFRAGED THE HARD
> DRIVE BUT STILL SLOW. YOU THINK I SHOULD FORMATE THE DRIVE AND RUN
> RECOVERY DISKS ? WHEN I PUT RECOVERY DISK IN , WILL IT AUTOMATCALLY START
> INSTALLING ? WHAT WILL BE THE SIMPLE DIRECTIONS TO DO SO? IS THERE A WEB
> SIGHT FOR DIRECTIONS OR I JUST DO IT BY TRIAL AND ERRORS. THE IDEA IS NOT
> TO TAKE TO THE SHOP AND SAVE MONEY AND LEARN. I AM A SENIOR CITIZEN
> RETIRED 3 YEARS AGO. PLEASE SEE IF YOU CAN GIVE ME SOME DIRECTIONS.
>
> HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU
>
> (E-Mail Removed)

First direction: Turn off you caps lock button.

Second: Install/run antivirus software

Third: Install/run SPYBOT (http://tinyurl.com/hycqb)

Fourth: Tell us what operating system you have and which computer and CPU
and speed you have.

Fifth: Never put your email address in Newsgroups. Expect your spam to
increase soon. Change your reply to email for newsgroups to some phone
email address.

wisdomkiller & pain

jiwan singh wrote:

> MY COMPUTER IS RUNNING VERY SLOW. I DEFRAGED THE HARD
> DRIVE BUT STILL SLOW. YOU THINK I SHOULD FORMATE THE DRIVE AND RUN
> RECOVERY DISKS ? WHEN I PUT RECOVERY DISK IN , WILL IT AUTOMATCALLY START
> INSTALLING ? WHAT WILL BE THE SIMPLE DIRECTIONS TO DO SO? IS THERE A WEB
> SIGHT FOR DIRECTIONS OR I JUST DO IT BY TRIAL AND ERRORS. THE IDEA IS NOT
> TO TAKE TO THE SHOP AND SAVE MONEY AND LEARN. I AM A SENIOR CITIZEN
> RETIRED 3 YEARS AGO. PLEASE SEE IF YOU CAN GIVE ME SOME DIRECTIONS.

Please don't cry on newsgroups (turn off the capslock). You can select a
bigger font though, in your newsreader.

A slow computer can have many causes:
- the cpu heatsink may be clogged or the fan got stuck, which makes the cpu
run hot, so it slows down to self-protect.
- the harddrive can be on it's way out. Other signs include random lockups
and bluescreens with write errors.
- your computer can be spyware ridden and trojanized.

There are many other possible reasons as well, but you have to divide into
hardware- and software issues before you attempt a repair install or
recovery.
Obviously, if it's hardware failing, you are hosed with a recovery - it
either won't let you install at all, bail out at some point, or at least
won't gain much speed.
So first have a look at the innards of your PC (there is no danger opening
the side cover, unless you miss pulling the mains plug) and carefully watch
your cpu fan/heatsink. Check if the fan blades are easy to rotate with the
touch of a finger, or if stuck. Get a can of "compressed air" (actually
butane gas, so don't smoke whilst working with that) and blow out the dust
from the fins. Use a vacuum cleaner to suck the case clean, with a soft
brush attached.

We cannot tell about the restore procedure from cds or even from a provided
startup floppy, as long as we don't know the make and model of your PC, and
the method applied to create recovery images.
Be prepared to lose all your data on disk, included e-mail addresses,
personal documents, bookmarks, ISP and mail logon settings.

Plato

jiwan singh wrote:

> MY COMPUTER IS RUNNING VERY SLOW. I DEFRAGED THE HARD

Which is MOST often due to you installing spyware and such and malware.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/