Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Compact Digital Camera - Newbie Question

Compact Digital Camera - Newbie Question

whitely525@yahoo.co.uk

I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software. Is this
software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?

Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
flash.

me@mine.net

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 03:08:10 -0800 (PST), in rec.photo.digital

>I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software. Is this
>software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?

I believe only Canon requires their own SW to do this

>Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
>flash.

All but Canon will mount as a removable drive. However, many folks just use
a simple inexpensive card reader regardless of the type of camera.

Shawn Hirn

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software. Is this
> software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?
>
> Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
> flash.

It depends on your computer and your particular needs. I have been using
digital cameras for years with a Mac and I have never installed the
software that comes with the camera.

Even if you find you need the included software, so just install it.
What's the problem?

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Dec 31, 5:08 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software. Is this
> software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?
>
> Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
> flash.

All cameras with removable flash memory cards can be used without the
connection to the computer or the software supplied. One removes the
flash card from the camera and plugs it into the computer via a flash
card reader (some computers have such readers built into them).

If you have other image editing software you do not need the camera
software, with one exception.

If your camera can save files in RAW format you may want to install
the camera software. While recent versions of Photoshop and a few
others can read RAW files, not all photo editing software can,
especially the cheaper ones. If you do not intend to use RAW, or if
you have a recent version of Photoshop, you do not need to install the
camera software.

ray

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 03:08:10 -0800, whitely525 wrote:

> I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software. Is this
> software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?

No.

> Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
> flash.

Yes.

Jürgen Exner

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software. Is this
>software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?

No.

>Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
>flash.

Depends. Some cameras can be set to different behaviours.

But in any case I would highly recommend a card reader. So much easier to
just slide in the memory card than to fumble around with that cable and
trying to find the tiny socket under the rubber plug on the camera.

jue

Dave Cohen

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software. Is this
> software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?
>
> Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
> flash.

As far as I know, winxp will recognize any camera without extra
software. Canon will not show as a drive number but can be accessed via
windows explorer or the windows wizard. I don't have any problem with
canon behaving that way. When I was running win98 I needed a driver for
both canon and a card reader.
Dave Cohen
Dave

The Horny Goat

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:20:23 GMT, Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software. Is this
>>software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?

>No.
>
>>Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
>>flash.

>Depends. Some cameras can be set to different behaviours.
>
>But in any case I would highly recommend a card reader. So much easier to
>just slide in the memory card than to fumble around with that cable and
>trying to find the tiny socket under the rubber plug on the camera.

Couldn't agree more - my biggest argument for the chip reader is that
it doesn't run down the batteries (I have 2 for my DMC-TZ3 but have
been in situations where both have been flashing red by the time I got
done that day despite being fully charged that morning).

Like everyone here, you would be impressed at some of the shots that I
DIDN'T get to take due to battery issues!

aniramca@gmail.com

On Dec 31, 2:29*pm, The Horny Goat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:20:23 GMT, Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >>I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software. *Is this
> >>software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?

> >No.

> >>Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
> >>flash.

> >Depends. Some cameras can be set to different behaviours.

> >But in any case I would highly recommend a card reader. So much easier to
> >just slide in the memory card than to fumble around with that cable and
> >trying to find the tiny socket under the rubber plug on the camera.

> Couldn't agree more - my biggest argument for the chip reader is that
> it doesn't run down the batteries (I have 2 for my DMC-TZ3 but have
> been in situations where both have been flashing red by the time I got
> done that day despite being fully charged that morning).
>
> Like everyone here, you would be impressed at some of the shots that I
> DIDN'T get to take due to battery issues!

Initially, I downloaded photos from my first digital camera using a
cable connecting the camera's port terminal to the USB port in my
computer. However, in the past few years, it has been much more
convenient for me to just pull the card and place it in a portable
card reader and connecting it to the computer. However, I sometimes
wonder whether frequent pulling out and back into the camera and card
reader will eventually damage the terminal connection at the back of
the card. I noticed that the scratches on the terminals are getting
more noticeable with time.

Do you think that with to frequent movements of the card in and out of
the camera will result in poor connection of the terminals? Would the
"spring" be getting weaker if you insert in and out too many times? It
is not the card that I am more worried, but the terminal inside the
camera, as it is difficult to fix the camera (you can always get a new
cheap card)

Does anyone know if all of the ports at the back of the storage card
are actually utilized (There are perhaps about 8 or 9 ports in an SD
card)? Perhaps out of those 9 terminals, they only use a few?

whitely525@yahoo.co.uk

On 31 Dec 2007, 20:29, The Horny Goat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:20:23 GMT, Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >>I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software. *Is this
> >>software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?

> >No.

> >>Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
> >>flash.

> >Depends. Some cameras can be set to different behaviours.

> >But in any case I would highly recommend a card reader. So much easier to
> >just slide in the memory card than to fumble around with that cable and
> >trying to find the tiny socket under the rubber plug on the camera.

> Couldn't agree more - my biggest argument for the chip reader is that
> it doesn't run down the batteries (I have 2 for my DMC-TZ3 but have
> been in situations where both have been flashing red by the time I got
> done that day despite being fully charged that morning).

Does the internal memory really sap so much power, and more than a
memory card..? Surely the flash, zoom/focus motor will sap most of
the juice..?

> Like everyone here, you would be impressed at some of the shots that I
> DIDN'T get to take due to battery issues!

I always said it ... you can't go wrong with a Box Brownie...