Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > HDD Attempts Low Earth Orbit

HDD Attempts Low Earth Orbit

DemoDisk

Okay; lessee... Win98SE, WD 20GB HDD, ˝GB Crucial RAM,
OE 6.00.2800.1123 and IE 6.00.2800.1106

Every day I get email advertisements from webstores I like. They pile up
in the inbox. This evening deleted ~100 of them, many over 100K.

Soon afterward (like several minutes), the HDD started thrashing
furiously -- it sounded like an electrical short, and didn't stop until
I closed every IE window and Outlook Express.

Is this behaviour normal (OE re-condensing the Inbox.dbx or something),
or does it indicate something wrong? It sounded like the drive could
tear itself apart. And btw, when I re-opened OE to create this post, it
did it again, but only for a few seconds.

Thanks yet again,
JPM

richard

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 01:20:28 -0600, "DemoDisk" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Okay; lessee... Win98SE, WD 20GB HDD, ˝GB Crucial RAM,
>OE 6.00.2800.1123 and IE 6.00.2800.1106
>

>Every day I get email advertisements from webstores I like. They pile up
>in the inbox. This evening deleted ~100 of them, many over 100K.
>
>Soon afterward (like several minutes), the HDD started thrashing
>furiously -- it sounded like an electrical short, and didn't stop until
>I closed every IE window and Outlook Express.
>
>Is this behaviour normal (OE re-condensing the Inbox.dbx or something),
>or does it indicate something wrong? It sounded like the drive could
>tear itself apart. And btw, when I re-opened OE to create this post, it
>did it again, but only for a few seconds.
>
>Thanks yet again,
>JPM

OE compacts the files every now and then. With that many emails taking
up that much space, yeah OE will work over time for sure.
Some times it does take a few minutes.
In options, you can set when OE will do the compacting. I don't use OE
any longer as I have come to like Tbird much better.

DemoDisk

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 01:20:28 -0600, "DemoDisk" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Okay; lessee... Win98SE, WD 20GB HDD, ˝GB Crucial RAM,
> >OE 6.00.2800.1123 and IE 6.00.2800.1106
> >

> >Every day I get email advertisements from webstores I like. They pile

up
> >in the inbox. This evening deleted ~100 of them, many over 100K.
> >
> >Soon afterward (like several minutes), the HDD started thrashing
> >furiously -- it sounded like an electrical short, and didn't stop

until
> >I closed every IE window and Outlook Express.
> >
> >Is this behaviour normal (OE re-condensing the Inbox.dbx or

something),
> >or does it indicate something wrong? It sounded like the drive could
> >tear itself apart. And btw, when I re-opened OE to create this post,

it
> >did it again, but only for a few seconds.
> >
> >Thanks yet again,
> >JPM
> >

> OE compacts the files every now and then. With that many emails taking
> up that much space, yeah OE will work over time for sure.
> Some times it does take a few minutes.
> In options, you can set when OE will do the compacting. I don't use OE
> any longer as I have come to like Tbird much better.

Thanks, richard. I gotta get off my rear and install a better newsreader
and browser like people recommend. I'm so glad this homebuilt is
....y'know... working... that I'm slow in changing things.

wisdomkiller & pain

DemoDisk wrote:

> Okay; lessee... Win98SE, WD 20GB HDD, ˝GB Crucial RAM,
> OE 6.00.2800.1123 and IE 6.00.2800.1106
>

> Every day I get email advertisements from webstores I like. They pile up
> in the inbox. This evening deleted ~100 of them, many over 100K.
>
> Soon afterward (like several minutes), the HDD started thrashing
> furiously -- it sounded like an electrical short, and didn't stop until
> I closed every IE window and Outlook Express.
>
> Is this behaviour normal (OE re-condensing the Inbox.dbx or something),
> or does it indicate something wrong? It sounded like the drive could
> tear itself apart. And btw, when I re-opened OE to create this post, it
> did it again, but only for a few seconds.

It is OE which attempts to compact the mailbox file if there is more than 25
percent wasted space in the mail database.
Now, when your harddrive sounds terribly, consider downloading the
diagnostic floppy from the WD site, or at least use some freeware HD
monitor (S.M.A.R.T) program to monitor it's health. Doing backups can never
harm you.
Do not put extra stress on the drive (like defragging) until you verified
the drive is fine, and you have done a backup of your important files.

Plato

DemoDisk wrote:

> Every day I get email advertisements from webstores I like. They pile up
> in the inbox. This evening deleted ~100 of them, many over 100K.

Get a disposable email address from yahoo or whatever and use that for
webpage entries.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/