Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do I list files in a Folder to text File?

How do I list files in a Folder to text File?

donzdorf

Using Windows Vista on Laptop.

I used to be able to list all my files in a folder to a text file using
win98.

How do I do that with windows vista? Thanks Ray

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"donzdorf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Using Windows Vista on Laptop.
>
>I used to be able to list all my files in a folder to a text file using
>win98.
>
>How do I do that with windows vista? Thanks Ray

You can use Karen's Directory Printer (it also saves as a file)
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp
--

Leaf your glasses behind?
http://krampf.com/experiments/Science_Experiment37.html

richard

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:21:16 -0500, "donzdorf"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Using Windows Vista on Laptop.
>
>I used to be able to list all my files in a folder to a text file using
>win98.
>
>How do I do that with windows vista? Thanks Ray

Highlight the files you want to list, hold down the shift key and
right click.
Select "Copy as path".
This will not copy the information shown with the files, just the
path.

richard

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 09:31:01 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> "donzdorf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Using Windows Vista on Laptop.
>>
>>I used to be able to list all my files in a folder to a text file using
>>win98.
>>
>>How do I do that with windows vista? Thanks Ray

>You can use Karen's Directory Printer (it also saves as a file)
>http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

Well at least she's keeping it current.
Still insists on requiring VB though.
Maybe I'll work on something using Liberty Basic and see if I can
conjur up a working program similar to it.

chuckcar

"donzdorf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Using Windows Vista on Laptop.
>
> I used to be able to list all my files in a folder to a text file
> using win98.
>
> How do I do that with windows vista? Thanks Ray

same as the only way that one should: with dos. Which by the way has
*not* been made obsolete, as dos is an acronym for Disk Operating
System, not a command shell.

start->programs->msdos prompt

cd c:\<full path to files>
dir >filelist.txt
exit

you will have a list of that directory in filelist.txt.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

"donzdorf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Using Windows Vista on Laptop.
>
> I used to be able to list all my files in a folder to a text file using
> win98.
>
> How do I do that with windows vista? Thanks Ray

Install a copy of Firefox and drag the folder you want to list into the
address bar.

G. Morgan

chuckcar wrote:

>same as the only way that one should: with dos. Which by the way has
>*not* been made obsolete, as dos is an acronym for Disk Operating
>System, not a command shell.
>
>start->programs->msdos prompt

Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

Or:

Start -> Run -> 'cmd' <enter>

thanatoid

"donzdorf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Using Windows Vista on Laptop.
>
> I used to be able to list all my files in a folder to a
> text file using win98.
>
> How do I do that with windows vista? Thanks Ray

We'll all know how to fly before ****ing MS decides a person
should be able to print (or save to file) a directory's
contents.

The simplest way I know is to use ACDSee, an image viewer. I
have NO idea what the idiots that make it have done in the
super-bloat versions of the last 7 years or so, but in an early
version I use Ctl-G saves all the contents of the directory (in
same order /as viewed in/ ACDSee, i.e. if you want alphabetical,
or by size, display it that way) to a txt file in Windows\temp.

Or you can get one of many "directory printers". I like the one
on this page:

http://www.galcott.com

--
The only cure for stupidity is death.
The only cure for brilliance is death.

Lookout

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 09:31:01 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> "donzdorf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Using Windows Vista on Laptop.
>>
>>I used to be able to list all my files in a folder to a text file using
>>win98.
>>
>>How do I do that with windows vista? Thanks Ray

>You can use Karen's Directory Printer (it also saves as a file)
>http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

A nifty little program

VanguardLH

"donzdorf" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Using Windows Vista on Laptop.
>
> I used to be able to list all my files in a folder to a text file
> using win98.
>
> How do I do that with windows vista? Thanks Ray

Open a command prompt (DOS shell) and enter "tree /?" to get help on
using that program.