Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless problem

Wireless problem

GusGus

Network Problem
I have a desktop host computer with Windows XP Home Edition connected
wirelessly to another desktop with Windows ME. My router is a D-link (G).
Everything works flawlessly between the two computers. I have just bought a
Dell laptop with wireless capabilities backward compatible with my router. My
dilemma is this: My Laptop (With Vista) can see both desktops, but neither
desktop can see my Laptop! What gives? I sure would appreciate any help
anyone can give me. Thank you

GusGus

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

I world check the firewall first. Or this search result may help.

Other can't see VistaVista: is not accessible · XP can't see Vista network
map · XP can't access Vista shared folders because of permission · Windows
XP cannot see Vista ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/cannotseevista.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"GusGus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Network Problem
> I have a desktop host computer with Windows XP Home Edition connected
> wirelessly to another desktop with Windows ME. My router is a D-link (G).
> Everything works flawlessly between the two computers. I have just bought
> Dell laptop with wireless capabilities backward compatible with my router.
> My
> dilemma is this: My Laptop (With Vista) can see both desktops, but neither
> desktop can see my Laptop! What gives? I sure would appreciate any help
> anyone can give me. Thank you
>
> GusGus

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Basic XP -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"GusGus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Network Problem
> I have a desktop host computer with Windows XP Home Edition connected
> wirelessly to another desktop with Windows ME. My router is a D-link (G).
> Everything works flawlessly between the two computers. I have just bought
> Dell laptop with wireless capabilities backward compatible with my router.
> My
> dilemma is this: My Laptop (With Vista) can see both desktops, but neither
> desktop can see my Laptop! What gives? I sure would appreciate any help
> anyone can give me. Thank you
>
> GusGus

GusGus

Thanks for responding Jack.
That's a lot of information to look up and will take some time! I'll try to
let you know if anything helps!
GusGus

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> allowed to be shared.
> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
> Basic XP -
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
> Advanced XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
> Printer Sharing XP -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "GusGus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Network Problem
> > I have a desktop host computer with Windows XP Home Edition connected
> > wirelessly to another desktop with Windows ME. My router is a D-link (G).
> > Everything works flawlessly between the two computers. I have just bought
> > Dell laptop with wireless capabilities backward compatible with my router.
> > My
> > dilemma is this: My Laptop (With Vista) can see both desktops, but neither
> > desktop can see my Laptop! What gives? I sure would appreciate any help
> > anyone can give me. Thank you
> >
> > GusGus

Jim

"GusGus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Network Problem
> I have a desktop host computer with Windows XP Home Edition connected
> wirelessly to another desktop with Windows ME. My router is a D-link (G).
> Everything works flawlessly between the two computers. I have just bought
> Dell laptop with wireless capabilities backward compatible with my router.
> My
> dilemma is this: My Laptop (With Vista) can see both desktops, but neither
> desktop can see my Laptop! What gives? I sure would appreciate any help
> anyone can give me. Thank you
>
> GusGus

Most likely cause is that a firewall on the laptop is blocking icmp packets.
The
computer sends an icmp packet for ping requests, and the response is an icmp
packet for ping reply. The first place to look would be in the firewall
settings
after you have verified that there is only one firewall running on the
laptop.

Jim

GusGus

Thanks Jim. I'll look into it!