Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Open all links in new tab

Open all links in new tab

~~~AAA~~~

How do I open every link in a new tab? I am using version 1.5.0.1.

I have tried creating browser.tabs.opentabfor.windowopen (FALSE)...no luck.

stewart

Look under "Tools", "Options", "Tabs". Put a check in the first square box.

"~~~AAA~~~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:74ZPf.54$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I open every link in a new tab? I am using version 1.5.0.1.
>
> I have tried creating browser.tabs.opentabfor.windowopen (FALSE)...no
> luck.

~~~AAA~~~

Thanks Stewart. But I want all links to open in tabs, not just ones that
call for a new window. When I do as you suggested, often I will click on a
link and the current browser page will go to the link's address. I would
like to browse a news page, and while browsing click on various news stories
that I would like to read, with each story being opened in its own tab, in
the background, leaving the main, initial page open. Am I not understanding
something?

"stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Look under "Tools", "Options", "Tabs". Put a check in the first square
> box.
>

> "~~~AAA~~~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:74ZPf.54$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How do I open every link in a new tab? I am using version 1.5.0.1.
>>
>> I have tried creating browser.tabs.opentabfor.windowopen (FALSE)...no
>> luck.

gwtc

~~~AAA~~~ wrote:

> Thanks Stewart. But I want all links to open in tabs, not just ones that
> call for a new window. When I do as you suggested, often I will click on a
> link and the current browser page will go to the link's address. I would
> like to browse a news page, and while browsing click on various news stories
> that I would like to read, with each story being opened in its own tab, in
> the background, leaving the main, initial page open. Am I not understanding
> something?
>

> "stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Look under "Tools", "Options", "Tabs". Put a check in the first square
>>box.
>>

>>"~~~AAA~~~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:74ZPf.54$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>How do I open every link in a new tab? I am using version 1.5.0.1.
>>>
>>>I have tried creating browser.tabs.opentabfor.windowopen (FALSE)...no
>>>luck.

in the address bar, type in about:config and look for the entry of:

browser.tabs.loadInBackground

when found, double click on it and change it to true. Now, when you
want to open a link in a new tab, hold down the ctrl key, and click.
Now, your link with open in a new tab but in the background.

~~~AAA~~~

Okay, thanks. Why is there not something very simple like a setting to
choose to open links in either new windows or new tabs? That would be very
convenient.

news:duq5o0$8cl$(E-Mail Removed)...

~~~AAA~~~ wrote:
> Okay, thanks. Why is there not something very simple like a setting to
> choose to open links in either new windows or new tabs? That would be very
> convenient.
>

> "gwtc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:duq5o0$8cl$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>~~~AAA~~~ wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks Stewart. But I want all links to open in tabs, not just ones that
>>>call for a new window. When I do as you suggested, often I will click on
>>>a link and the current browser page will go to the link's address. I
>>>would like to browse a news page, and while browsing click on various
>>>news stories that I would like to read, with each story being opened in
>>>its own tab, in the background, leaving the main, initial page open. Am
>>>I not understanding something?
>>>

>>>"stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>in the address bar, type in about:config and look for the entry of:
>>
>>browser.tabs.loadInBackground
>>
>>when found, double click on it and change it to true. Now, when you want
>>to open a link in a new tab, hold down the ctrl key, and click. Now, your
>>link with open in a new tab but in the background.

there is. Its called right click.

Hendrik Maryns

gwtc schreef:
> ~~~AAA~~~ wrote:
>> Okay, thanks. Why is there not something very simple like a setting
>> to choose to open links in either new windows or new tabs? That would
>> be very convenient.

Please don?t top-post.

>> "gwtc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:duq5o0$8cl$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> in the address bar, type in about:config and look for the entry of:
>>>
>>> browser.tabs.loadInBackground
>>>
>>> when found, double click on it and change it to true. Now, when you
>>> want to open a link in a new tab, hold down the ctrl key, and click.
>>> Now, your link with open in a new tab but in the background.

> there is. Its called right click.

You meant middle-click. Or Ctrl+click.

H.

--
Hendrik Maryns

==================
www.lieverleven.be
http://aouw.org

gwtc

Hendrik Maryns wrote:
> NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message
>
> gwtc schreef:
>
>>~~~AAA~~~ wrote:
>>
>>>Okay, thanks. Why is there not something very simple like a setting
>>>to choose to open links in either new windows or new tabs? That would
>>>be very convenient.

> Please don?t top-post.
>

>>>"gwtc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>message news:duq5o0$8cl$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>there is. Its called right click.

> You meant middle-click. Or Ctrl+click.
>
> H.

those only opens a new tab.

If you right click, then you have the option of either new tab or new
window -- isn't that what the OP wanted, an option.