Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Going Fishing With The Formidable 500!!

Going Fishing With The Formidable 500!!

Rita Berkowitz

Yes folks, even on the mighty D200 with the wonderful 1.5x crop factor, the
Formidable 500 is challenged and pushed to its limits. In honor of our
resident idiot that like to make excuses for his severely cropped excrement
and refuses to "zoom with his feet", the Formidable 500 pulls off the
impossible. Yes, this was a really challenging shot as I had "get above"
the subject to give it that very special perspective so it isn't like all
them other shots that are "under" the subject. There's no excuse for not
properly framing your subject, even if you have to put on your rock-climbing
gear.

<http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/fish_tales.htm>

Rita

George Kerby

On 12/30/07 7:51 AM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), "Rita
Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

> Yes folks, even on the mighty D200 with the wonderful 1.5x crop factor, the
> Formidable 500 is challenged and pushed to its limits. In honor of our
> resident idiot that like to make excuses for his severely cropped excrement
> and refuses to "zoom with his feet", the Formidable 500 pulls off the
> impossible. Yes, this was a really challenging shot as I had "get above"
> the subject to give it that very special perspective so it isn't like all
> them other shots that are "under" the subject. There's no excuse for not
> properly framing your subject, even if you have to put on your rock-climbing
> gear.
>
> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/fish_tales.htm>

If you think that snapshot depicts fishing in any way, you are even loonier
than I thought.

Eric Miller

George Kerby blathered:

> If you think that snapshot depicts fishing in any way, you are even loonier
> than I thought.

I guess you are one of those fishermen who never have to tie a knot,
untangle a bait, tie a lure on or do anything but catch fish after fish
after fish, without preparation or mistake.

Notice the spinning reel laying on the ground at the subjects' feet.
This may not win a Pulitzer, but it is an exceptionally accurate
portrayal of fishing.

Did you notice the spinning reel and fishing rod laying at the subjects'
feet?

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

George Kerby

On 12/30/07 12:25 PM, in article
_nRdj.33604$(E-Mail Removed), "Eric Miller"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> George Kerby blathered:
>

>> If you think that snapshot depicts fishing in any way, you are even loonier
>> than I thought.
>>

> I guess you are one of those fishermen who never have to tie a knot,
> untangle a bait, tie a lure on or do anything but catch fish after fish
> after fish, without preparation or mistake.

As a matter of fact I do a pretty good job in prep.
> Notice the spinning reel laying on the ground at the subjects' feet.
> This may not win a Pulitzer, but it is an exceptionally accurate
> portrayal of fishing.

In your mind.
> Did you notice the spinning reel and fishing rod laying at the subjects'
> feet?

After I looked at the 1024 x 685 version - there MAY be something on the
ground at the bottom right that could be a somewhat resemblance of the Ronco
Pocket Pole. That, my friend, ain't fishing. Those two might as well being
untangling a kite string. You DID notice the kite reflection off the surface
of the lake, didn't you?
> Eric Miller
> www.dyesscreek.com

PixelPix

On Dec 30, 11:51 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
> Yes folks, even on the mighty D200 with the wonderful 1.5x crop factor, the
> Formidable 500 is challenged and pushed to its limits. In honor of our
> resident idiot that like to make excuses for his severely cropped excrement
> and refuses to "zoom with his feet", the Formidable 500 pulls off the
> impossible. Yes, this was a really challenging shot as I had "get above"
> the subject to give it that very special perspective so it isn't like all
> them other shots that are "under" the subject. There's no excuse for not
> properly framing your subject, even if you have to put on your rock-climbing
> gear.
>
> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/fish_tales.htm>
>
> Rita

Ah yes... more of that lovely double blur bokeh.

Perhaps you should call that lens the "Formidableable 500" LOL

Rita Berkowitz

PixelPix wrote:

> Ah yes... more of that lovely double blur bokeh.

You like that?

> Perhaps you should call that lens the "Formidableable 500" LOL

I think I'll have to send the old D3 and Formidable 500 back to the rental
shop and see if the old Mk III and Fabulous 500 are still available. Maybe
you can show me some of them great bokeh producing lenses you have. I'd
like to get it right and try them so I can get the perfect bokeh without
renting the wrong combination. Your valuable help and wisdom is much
appreciated.

Rita

Rita Berkowitz

George Kerby wrote:

>> Did you notice the spinning reel and fishing rod laying at the
>> subjects' feet?
>>

> After I looked at the 1024 x 685 version - there MAY be something on
> the ground at the bottom right that could be a somewhat resemblance
> of the Ronco Pocket Pole. That, my friend, ain't fishing. Those two
> might as well being untangling a kite string. You DID notice the kite
> reflection off the surface of the lake, didn't you?

Geez, George, maybe you can tell us what kind of fishing you do? I know
there are many types. Hell, I've heard of spear fishing, bait casting, fly
fishing, trolling, noodling (with arm or dick), percussion (with HE), and
let's not forget ice fishing. Did I forget any, George?

Rita

Scott W

On Dec 30, 12:17*pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
> PixelPix wrote:
> > Ah yes... more of that lovely double blur bokeh.

> You like that?
>
> > Perhaps you should call that lens the "Formidableable 500" *LOL

> I think I'll have to send the old D3 and Formidable 500 back to the rental
> shop and see if the old Mk III and Fabulous 500 are still available. *Maybe
> you can show me some of them great bokeh producing lenses you have. *I'd
> like to get it right and try them so I can get the perfect bokeh without
> renting the wrong combination. *Your valuable help and wisdom is much
> appreciated.

The Canon 300mm f/4 IS L
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/91004589/original

Scott

Rita Berkowitz

Scott W wrote:

>>> Perhaps you should call that lens the "Formidableable 500" LOL

>> I think I'll have to send the old D3 and Formidable 500 back to the
>> rental shop and see if the old Mk III and Fabulous 500 are still
>> available. Maybe you can show me some of them great bokeh producing
>> lenses you have. I'd like to get it right and try them so I can get
>> the perfect bokeh without renting the wrong combination. Your
>> valuable help and wisdom is much appreciated.

> The Canon 300mm f/4 IS L
> http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/91004589/original

Not bad, but I would definitely take the 300/2.8 Nikkor over the Canon. I
think lighting conditions and the position of the surrounding items in the
scene have a lot to do with the way a lens handles bokeh. Throw some tall
grass or branches around the turkey and you'll be seeing the same issues as
I am. I know I had some real shitty bokeh problems with the old 500/4L IS
when the bird was surrounded by brush. No problem, the old 500 is a keeper
in the collection and I'm extremely happy with it.

Rita

George Kerby

On 12/30/07 4:17 PM, in article (E-Mail Removed), "Rita
Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

> George Kerby wrote:
>
>>> Did you notice the spinning reel and fishing rod laying at the
>>> subjects' feet?
>>>

>> After I looked at the 1024 x 685 version - there MAY be something on
>> the ground at the bottom right that could be a somewhat resemblance
>> of the Ronco Pocket Pole. That, my friend, ain't fishing. Those two
>> might as well being untangling a kite string. You DID notice the kite
>> reflection off the surface of the lake, didn't you?

> Geez, George, maybe you can tell us what kind of fishing you do? I know
> there are many types. Hell, I've heard of spear fishing, bait casting, fly
> fishing, trolling, noodling (with arm or dick), percussion (with HE), and
> let's not forget ice fishing. Did I forget any, George?

Nope. You have proven to be excellent at trolling with your johnson, Rita.
No contest!