Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Netscape Browser Will No Longer Be Supported

Netscape Browser Will No Longer Be Supported

cwdjrxyz

Yesterday I read, in the New York Times, that AOL, the present owner
of Netscape browsers, will no longer support Netscape with updates
including security ones. The last few versions of Netscape browsers
have been using a Firefox browser with many extras such as the old
Netscape browsers had. AOL is suggesting that those using Netscape
browsers now use Firefox. For those who still want a lot of extras, I
suggest SeaMonkey, which is based on Firefox. One can continue using a
Netscape browser, but lacking updates, the practical end is near. The
end of Netscape comes as no surprise, as nearly all of the browser
user statistics I have seen show that Netscape browsers have been
decreasing greatly for several years and now make up under 1 % of
browsers used.

There are still a few very dedicated Netscape users out there. A year
or so ago I found a site for download of Netscape browsers back to
some of the most early ones.

asdf

"cwdjrxyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yesterday I read, in the New York Times, that AOL, the present owner
> of Netscape browsers, will no longer support Netscape with updates
> including security ones. The last few versions of Netscape browsers
> have been using a Firefox browser with many extras such as the old
> Netscape browsers had. AOL is suggesting that those using Netscape
> browsers now use Firefox. For those who still want a lot of extras, I
> suggest SeaMonkey, which is based on Firefox. One can continue using a
> Netscape browser, but lacking updates, the practical end is near. The
> end of Netscape comes as no surprise, as nearly all of the browser
> user statistics I have seen show that Netscape browsers have been
> decreasing greatly for several years and now make up under 1 % of
> browsers used.
>
> There are still a few very dedicated Netscape users out there. A year
> or so ago I found a site for download of Netscape browsers back to
> some of the most early ones.

Ding Dong, the witch is dead.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "asdf" <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:47773279$0$25482$(E-Mail Removed):

> Ding Dong, the witch is dead.

"As Coroner I must aver,
I thoroughly examined her...
and she's not only merely dead,
but really most sincerely dead."

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Toby A Inkster

cwdjrxyz wrote:

> For those who still want a lot of extras, I suggest SeaMonkey, which is
> based on Firefox.

This misrepresents their relationship. The reverse is closer to the truth,
though still doesn't fully illuminate their tangled history.

Firefox was originally based on SeaMonkey, but in more recent years, most
of the work on the core, shared components has been done in Firefox, with
improvements ported across to SeaMonkey.

In recent months, the Mozilla Foundation seems to have cut SeaMonkey and
even Thunderbird adrift. I ponder their decisions.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 3 days, 21:33.]

Sharing Music with Apple iTunes
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/1...tunes-sharing/

Bergamot

Toby A Inkster wrote:

> In recent months, the Mozilla Foundation seems to have cut SeaMonkey and
> even Thunderbird adrift. I ponder their decisions.

SeaMonkey was cut adrift a few years ago when mozilla decided to abandon
the suite and focus on the separate Fx/Tb apps. Development hasn't
stopped on it, but I did notice a definite change in quality control and
turn-around of major bug fixes. The nightlies were very much hit or miss
for a while (far more than before the split) but that's improved a lot
over the last 6 months or so, I think.

I don't like Firefox myself and dread the thought of SeaMonkey biting
the dust.

--
Berg