Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Backup strategy for hardware failure?

Backup strategy for hardware failure?

Fatfreek

I've been diligently backing up my system, Win2k Pro.

Someone told me, however, that if my hard disk crashes, or motherboard
fails, I'd have to duplicate them with new equivalents -- same brand, size,
specs -- whatever that all means. Otherwise my Acronis ver. 9 Home edition
won't properly restore.

Hey, isn't that the reason for backup in the first place? Things fail.

What is a good strategy for backup?

Len

philo

"Fatfreek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been diligently backing up my system, Win2k Pro.
>
> Someone told me, however, that if my hard disk crashes, or motherboard
> fails, I'd have to duplicate them with new equivalents -- same brand,

size,
> specs -- whatever that all means. Otherwise my Acronis ver. 9 Home edition
> won't properly restore.
>
> Hey, isn't that the reason for backup in the first place? Things fail.
>
> What is a good strategy for backup?
>
> Len

Definately use Acronis...
Since harddrives are pretty cheap now...I simply backup my entire system to
another harddrive.

Now...if your harddrive fails...it's a simple as just replacing it with the
clone.

OTOH: if your motherboard fails and you cannot get one just like it (or very
similar)

You can still use the existing harddrive...but you will probably have to
perform a repair installation...
it's not too big of a deal

Fatfreek

> Definately use Acronis...
> Since harddrives are pretty cheap now...I simply backup my entire system

> another harddrive.
>
> Now...if your harddrive fails...it's a simple as just replacing it with

the
> clone.
>

> OTOH: if your motherboard fails and you cannot get one just like it (or

very
> similar)
>
> You can still use the existing harddrive...but you will probably have to
> perform a repair installation...
> it's not too big of a deal

Philo,

Thanks for getting back to me. So, if I understand you correctly, I'd better
get a dupe of my current c: hard disk while it may be available. Else, it
won't be compatible?

Len

thanatoid

"Fatfreek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> Definately use Acronis...
>> Since harddrives are pretty cheap now...I simply backup my
>> entire system

>> another harddrive.
>>
>> Now...if your harddrive fails...it's a simple as just
>> replacing it with

> the
>> clone.
>>

>> OTOH: if your motherboard fails and you cannot get one
>> just like it (or

> very
>> similar)
>>
>> You can still use the existing harddrive...but you will
>> probably have to perform a repair installation...
>> it's not too big of a deal
>>

> Philo,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me. So, if I understand you
> correctly, I'd better get a dupe of my current c: hard disk
> while it may be available. Else, it won't be compatible?
>
> Len

No. See my reply to your OP.

--
The only cure for stupidity is death.
The only cure for brilliance is death.

thanatoid

"Fatfreek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I've been diligently backing up my system, Win2k Pro.

Very nice.

> Someone told me, however, that if my hard disk crashes, or
> motherboard fails, I'd have to duplicate them with new
> equivalents -- same brand, size, specs -- whatever that all
> means.

PLEASE don't tell me you don't understand those 3 words.

> Otherwise my Acronis ver. 9 Home edition won't
> properly restore.

Incorrect. Acronis will restore onto any drive which has a
partition large enough to "accept" the one you have backed up.
It does not even matter what OS - if ANY - is installed on the
HD.

It just has to be partitioned, I /think/. I never tried to
restore onto an unformatted/unpartitioned drive but who knows?
You should ALWAYS partition, especially today's huge-ass drives.
Look it up.

You DO realize a partition restore wipes what was there before
for GOOD - unless you back THAT up first

> Hey, isn't that the reason for backup in the first place?
> Things fail.

HD's fail and everything else mechanical fails sooner or later.
Quality brand CD-R's and DVD-R's burned at a slow speed using a
good program and making an ISO or UDF file FIRST (look it up)
and stored properly should outlive you.

> What is a good strategy for backup?

The previous paragraph. You can get a backup program but CD-R's
are so cheap and Acronis is so great that it hardly makes sense
anymore.

--
The only cure for stupidity is death.
The only cure for brilliance is death.
The only cure for love is death.
The only cure for hate is death.
Indifference needs no cure.
The only cure for life is death.
{ 2007 thanatoid}

chuckcar

"Fatfreek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I've been diligently backing up my system, Win2k Pro.
>
> Someone told me, however, that if my hard disk crashes, or motherboard
> fails, I'd have to duplicate them with new equivalents -- same brand,
> size, specs -- whatever that all means. Otherwise my Acronis ver. 9
> Home edition won't properly restore.
>
> Hey, isn't that the reason for backup in the first place? Things fail.
>
> What is a good strategy for backup?
>
> Len

You've missed the point. You *don't* back up everything on your hard
drive, you backup your data files *only* along with keeping install
disks for everything. You reinstall the programs/drivers including 2000,
when something fails (read hard drive) and then you don't have to worry
about hardware changes. Besides, if 2000 is corrupted at all, this will
fix that as well, whereas a blind copy won't.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

old man

You should stop listening to 'someone' as they obviously havent a clue

"Fatfreek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been diligently backing up my system, Win2k Pro.
>
> Someone told me, however, that if my hard disk crashes, or motherboard
> fails, I'd have to duplicate them with new equivalents -- same brand,
> size,
> specs -- whatever that all means. Otherwise my Acronis ver. 9 Home edition
> won't properly restore.
>
> Hey, isn't that the reason for backup in the first place? Things fail.
>
> What is a good strategy for backup?
>
> Len

dadiOH

Fatfreek wrote:
>> Definately use Acronis...
>> Since harddrives are pretty cheap now...I simply backup my entire
>> system to another harddrive.
>>
>> Now...if your harddrive fails...it's a simple as just replacing it
>> with the clone.
>>

>> OTOH: if your motherboard fails and you cannot get one just like
>> it (or very similar)
>>
>> You can still use the existing harddrive...but you will probably
>> have to perform a repair installation...
>> it's not too big of a deal
>>

> Philo,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me. So, if I understand you correctly,
> I'd better get a dupe of my current c: hard disk while it may be
> available. Else, it won't be compatible?

It's not your drive that wouldn't be compatible, it is things *on* the
drive that are there so specific hardware will work. Think of it this
way...

You have a Ford car and duplicate all parts so that if the car has a
problem you can just put in all the parts. The car fails and you buy
a Chevy. You could but your back up tires on the Chevy, other things
too, but you can't put the Ford specific parts into the Chevy.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

philo

"Fatfreek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Definately use Acronis...
> > Since harddrives are pretty cheap now...I simply backup my entire system

> > another harddrive.
> >
> > Now...if your harddrive fails...it's a simple as just replacing it with

> the
> > clone.
> >

> > OTOH: if your motherboard fails and you cannot get one just like it (or

> very
> > similar)
> >
> > You can still use the existing harddrive...but you will probably have to
> > perform a repair installation...
> > it's not too big of a deal
> >

> Philo,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me. So, if I understand you correctly, I'd

better
> get a dupe of my current c: hard disk while it may be available. Else, it
> won't be compatible?
>
> Len

If you clone your HD to a 2nd one...
If the original drive fails...all you have to do is put the 2nd drive in the
machine...and it will work perfectly.
(assuming the clone worked)

OTOH: If your motherboard is replaced...unless you can find one the same or
at least very similar...
you may need to perform a repair installation

philo

<snip>

> It just has to be partitioned, I /think/. I never tried to
> restore onto an unformatted/unpartitioned drive but who knows?
> You should ALWAYS partition, especially today's huge-ass drives.
> Look it up.

When using Acronis...the 2nd drive can be totally "blank"