Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Either Computers Share or Internet Shared - Not Both

Either Computers Share or Internet Shared - Not Both

=?Utf-8?B?U2hlcnJ5?=

I have recently fitted a Belkin Wireless G to an available PCI in my Desk top
running XP SP2. Objective to link my Laptop (Dell Inspiron 6000) to enable
File & Printer Sharing and Internet Sharing.
I have been successful in both ventures but not within the same set-up.
My internet is currently provided via NTL Broadband and the Address of the
Broadband Ethernet card is fixed at all times as 86.1.120.*.
However the wireless adapters are either set as 169.254.*.* with different
addresses and file & printer sharing is OK (but no internet access for the
Laptop), or else they are set at 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.*and then internet
access is fine but no file or printer sharing.
It's not too bad but very frustrating to go back to change the set up if I
want to change the application of the Laptop. I'm sure both should work
under the same set up if I knew what it should be.
I've read much of the correspondence on this site and and followed many
helpful links without success. I've read about static IP addresses which may
solve my problem but I'm unsure how these are set up.
I have been in and out of the Internet Protocol so many times setting things
manually and automatically but without success. My network is set as Ad Hoc.
Does a DNS server apply and if so how is this set manually if Auto doesn't
work?
I hope this has explained the situation clearly and someone out there can
point me in the right direction.
--
!!!Sherry!!!

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

169.254.*.* usually means that the computers are Not talking to a Network.

No Network, No Sharing.

192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0 is probably the correct setting.

So the setting that enables the two computers to use the Internet is the
correct starting point.

http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

to be shared.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Sherry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have recently fitted a Belkin Wireless G to an available PCI in my Desk
>top
> running XP SP2. Objective to link my Laptop (Dell Inspiron 6000) to
> enable
> File & Printer Sharing and Internet Sharing.
> I have been successful in both ventures but not within the same set-up.
> My internet is currently provided via NTL Broadband and the Address of the
> Broadband Ethernet card is fixed at all times as 86.1.120.*.
> However the wireless adapters are either set as 169.254.*.* with different
> addresses and file & printer sharing is OK (but no internet access for the
> Laptop), or else they are set at 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.*and then
> internet
> access is fine but no file or printer sharing.
> It's not too bad but very frustrating to go back to change the set up if I
> want to change the application of the Laptop. I'm sure both should work
> under the same set up if I knew what it should be.
> I've read much of the correspondence on this site and and followed many
> helpful links without success. I've read about static IP addresses which
> may
> solve my problem but I'm unsure how these are set up.
> I have been in and out of the Internet Protocol so many times setting
> things
> manually and automatically but without success. My network is set as Ad
> Hoc.
> Does a DNS server apply and if so how is this set manually if Auto doesn't
> work?
> I hope this has explained the situation clearly and someone out there can
> point me in the right direction.
> --
> !!!Sherry!!!

=?Utf-8?B?U2hlcnJ5?=

Thanks for your response Jack.
When both adapters have the 169.254.*.* addresses they must be on some
network surely or I wouldn't be able to share a printer or files - could I?
Apart from the wireless activity there is no other physical connection
between them.
I believe you are right when you say that the 192.168.*.* address is the one
to use but although I can then access the internet on both computers neither
computer sees the other.
I have set up file sharing OK as proven by the 169 set up. I have set up
internet sharing OK as proven by the 192 set up.
An interesting fact is that when I set up the 192, internet sharing does not
occur, even though both adapters are connected as 192 addresses, until I
change the sharing permission of the broadband connection. Usually
permission is checked but I have to uncheck it click OK then check it again
and click OK.
If I do the same thing when file sharing and the 169.254.*.* set up is
running I get a message that if I wish to have internet sharing then the
adapter address will be changed to 192.168.0.1. If I click OK then the
addresses are changed and I lose file sharing.
I'm sure that I have tried all the useful links but I will try those two you
suggest again and let you know the outcome.
Thanks again for your help.
--
!!!Sherry!!!

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
>
> 169.254.*.* usually means that the computers are Not talking to a Network.
>
> No Network, No Sharing.
>
> 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0 is probably the correct setting.
>
> So the setting that enables the two computers to use the Internet is the
> correct starting point.

> http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
>
> As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what is allowed
> to be shared.

> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Sherry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have recently fitted a Belkin Wireless G to an available PCI in my Desk
> >top
> > running XP SP2. Objective to link my Laptop (Dell Inspiron 6000) to
> > enable
> > File & Printer Sharing and Internet Sharing.
> > I have been successful in both ventures but not within the same set-up.
> > My internet is currently provided via NTL Broadband and the Address of the
> > Broadband Ethernet card is fixed at all times as 86.1.120.*.
> > However the wireless adapters are either set as 169.254.*.* with different
> > addresses and file & printer sharing is OK (but no internet access for the
> > Laptop), or else they are set at 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.*and then
> > internet
> > access is fine but no file or printer sharing.
> > It's not too bad but very frustrating to go back to change the set up if I
> > want to change the application of the Laptop. I'm sure both should work
> > under the same set up if I knew what it should be.
> > I've read much of the correspondence on this site and and followed many
> > helpful links without success. I've read about static IP addresses which
> > may
> > solve my problem but I'm unsure how these are set up.
> > I have been in and out of the Internet Protocol so many times setting
> > things
> > manually and automatically but without success. My network is set as Ad
> > Hoc.
> > Does a DNS server apply and if so how is this set manually if Auto doesn't
> > work?
> > I hope this has explained the situation clearly and someone out there can
> > point me in the right direction.
> > --
> > !!!Sherry!!!

=?Utf-8?B?U2hlcnJ5?=

As a further update I have found two areas causing difficulties.
The Norton Internet Security Firewall does not recognise my Network (even if
it searches while I'm connected) and even if I add approved addresses by name
or metric it won't let me in unless I disable the Firewall which I don't like
doing. I had to disable Windows Firewall to enable ICS. One point going for
me is that after I have accessed files I can enable the firewall again and
still retain access.
I only have this problem one way because the Laptop has McAfee and this does
not block traffic I have permitted.
The second area of difficulty was that after I had achieved Pinging of all
applicable addresses (Metric) there was no reciprocal success with names. I
cured this by going into Hosts and Lmhosts files and adding the address and
name. This may have been making it difficult for me to get recognition of
either computer when using Windows Explorer.
I think that for a full cure I will have to uninstall Norton and use another
more friendly Firewall. Is there anything I have to be carefull of in
particular with the removing of Norton as I read on occasion that it is
difficult to ensure that even after removal they still have an influence?
--
!!!Sherry!!!

"Sherry" wrote:

> [...]
> > > It's not too bad but very frustrating to go back to change the set up if I
> > > want to change the application of the Laptop. I'm sure both should work
> > > under the same set up if I knew what it should be.
> > > I've read much of the correspondence on this site and and followed many
> > > helpful links without success. I've read about static IP addresses which
> > > may
> > > solve my problem but I'm unsure how these are set up.
> > > I have been in and out of the Internet Protocol so many times setting
> > > things
> > > manually and automatically but without success. My network is set as Ad
> > > Hoc.
> > > Does a DNS server apply and if so how is this set manually if Auto doesn't
> > > work?
> > > I hope this has explained the situation clearly and someone out there can

=?Utf-8?B?U2hlcnJ5?=

Additional Note:
I have just read that a common mistake is to use the same User account for
both computers. I have also fallen into this trap and in addition I do not
require a password on either Computer. Having got so far with my problem I
am reluctant to change anything so fundamental as the User Account name. Both
computers have different names not related to their user account and the
Group Name is also unrelated. Do I really have to change the duplicated
Account Names and if so what knock on effect will it have?
--
!!!Sherry!!!