Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > TSA restricts lithium batteries on airplanes

TSA restricts lithium batteries on airplanes

TH O

The TSA is going to restrict lithium battery carrying on airplanes
beginning Jan 1. The rules are ridiculously complicated but it sounds
like the max in carryon is two or three lithium batteries (counting the
installed battery as one of the two max per the chart, or two spares
allowed per the text) and there is a maximum total lithium weight
allowed.

What are people who carry an SLR, P&S, cellphone, and laptop -- all of
which use lithium batteries -- supposed to do?

http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/tech...ries-Travel.ht
ml?_r=1&ex=1356584400&en=be442ba5b8db0e54&ei=5088& partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&
oref=slogin

David J. Littleboy

"TH O" <tho@tho.23.invalid> wrote:
> The TSA is going to restrict lithium battery carrying on airplanes
> beginning Jan 1. The rules are ridiculously complicated but it sounds
> like the max in carryon is two or three lithium batteries (counting the
> installed battery as one of the two max per the chart, or two spares
> allowed per the text) and there is a maximum total lithium weight
> allowed.
>
> What are people who carry an SLR, P&S, cellphone, and laptop -- all of
> which use lithium batteries -- supposed to do?

Not fly and reduce global warming, obviously.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Roy

On Dec 28, 7:56*pm, TH O <t...@tho.23.invalid> wrote:
> The TSA is going to restrict lithium battery carrying on airplanes
> beginning Jan 1. The rules are ridiculously complicated but it sounds
> like the max in carryon is two or three lithium batteries (counting the
> installed battery as one of the two max per the chart, or two spares
> allowed per the text) and there is a maximum total lithium weight
> allowed.
>
> What are people who carry an SLR, P&S, cellphone, and laptop -- all of
> which use lithium batteries -- supposed to do?
>
> http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

I agree that the presentation is confusing; but the way I read the
rules, I don't think cell phone and most laptop batteries count
against the limit. Quoting from the above web site:

"You can also bring up to two spare batteries with an aggregate
equivalent lithium content of up to 25 grams, in addition to any
batteries that fall below the 8-gram threshold."

Important note: they aren't talking about the actual weight of the
battery, but rather the equivalent weight of the lithium it contains.

Note the use of the word "aggregate" to indicate that it means total
weight when referring to the spares. Also note the phrase "*any*
batteries that fall below the 8-gram threshold". And in this bit:

"Under the new rules, you can bring batteries with up to 8-gram
equivalent lithium content. All lithium ion batteries in cell phones
are below 8 gram equivalent lithium content. Nearly all laptop
computers also are below this quantity threshold."

Note the absence of the word "aggregate" or any other indication that
the 8-gram limit is a total weight of all batteries. I think what
they mean is that you can bring any number of lithium ion batteries
which, individually, have less than the 8-gram equivalent lithium
content. And they say that includes all cell phones and most laptop
batteries. In other words, those don't count against the limit.

The only limit on spare batteries appears to be on those that
individually exceed the 8-gram equivalent limit. I haven't done the
homework yet to see what the equivalent lithium content of my D80
battery is, so I don't know whether that might be an issue; but the
way I read it, cell phones and laptops won't enter into it.

Robert Haar

On 12/28/07 9:56 PM, "TH O" <tho@tho.23.invalid> wrote:

> The TSA is going to restrict lithium battery carrying on airplanes
> beginning Jan 1. The rules are ridiculously complicated but it sounds
> like the max in carryon is two or three lithium batteries (counting the
> installed battery as one of the two max per the chart, or two spares
> allowed per the text) and there is a maximum total lithium weight
> allowed.
>
> What are people who carry an SLR, P&S, cellphone, and laptop -- all of
> which use lithium batteries -- supposed to do?

According to the rules, batteries installed in equipment that is in checked
baggage are OK - and we all confident that our checked baggage is safe. But
spare batteries not installed in equipment are prohibited, What is the
reasoning behind that?

Pity anyone who has to travel with cordless power tools using Lithium
batteries. I'm sue my small collection would be way over the top of the
quantity limit.

Is TSA worried about the batteries catching fire. If so, maybe the Feds
should do a better job of regulating safety in consumer devices.

Also, the regulations don't seem to differentiate between Lithium Ion
rechargeable batteries and disposable Lithium batteries. Are the risks the
same?

nospam

In article <C39B3825.3CE300%(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Haar
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> According to the rules, batteries installed in equipment that is in checked
> baggage are OK - and we all confident that our checked baggage is safe. But
> spare batteries not installed in equipment are prohibited, What is the
> reasoning behind that?

something metal could short the exposed contacts. they are also saying
batteries in carry-on luggage should be in plastic bags.

Paul Coen

Roy wrote:

> Note the absence of the word "aggregate" or any other indication that
> the 8-gram limit is a total weight of all batteries. I think what
> they mean is that you can bring any number of lithium ion batteries
> which, individually, have less than the 8-gram equivalent lithium
> content. And they say that includes all cell phones and most laptop
> batteries. In other words, those don't count against the limit.

Yes, that's what it looks like. Any number under 8 grams, plus two over
8 grams with a total aggregate weight lithium content below 25 grams.
Overall, it's not a bad idea - shorting a larger Lithium-ion battery
would be an issue. And trying to keep it in the cabin where at least
someone can see the smoke and get a fire extinguisher is probably smart
as well.

In practice - having seen a TSA employee go nuts over a woman who
dropped down to her two-carry-on limit by putting a small fanny pack
inside a larger (but still under the maximum size) bag (I'd say the
average TSA security checker has about 0% chance of working this out.

People are going to be losing a lot of expensive batteries - I'd say
that extra laptop batteries not in the computer, and any "funny"
batteries not in equipment are going to get rejected. The only good
thing is that a lot of well-heeled, connected travelers - the sort of
people who can really make a stink - are going to get hassled first.

Oh, and that woman at Newark airport who got hassled? When the TSA
person called her supervisor, the supervisor told them to send her
through, and he would meet the passenger at the actual gate to question
them. I'd take that to mean the supervisor thought the TSA employee was
a bit nutty and didn't take it too seriously.

Father Kodak

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:56:58 -0500, TH O <tho@tho.23.invalid> wrote:

>The TSA is going to restrict lithium battery carrying on airplanes
>beginning Jan 1. The rules are ridiculously complicated but it sounds
>like the max in carryon is two or three lithium batteries (counting the
>installed battery as one of the two max per the chart, or two spares
>allowed per the text) and there is a maximum total lithium weight
>allowed.
>
>What are people who carry an SLR, P&S, cellphone, and laptop -- all of
>which use lithium batteries -- supposed to do?
>
>http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

For several years now, it has been a _colossal_ pain to travel with
film and film cameras. Especially high-speed film. That factor alone
is a reason to go digital.

Now that I've (finally) gotten a D SLR, I learn that I apparently
can't take spare batteries with me. What am I supposed to do? _Buy_
spare batteries at my destination city and then discard them before I
return home??

And spare batteries for the flash unit(s) and the personal storage
device(s), never mind the laptop?

Somebody better tell the airlines quick that this is going to screw up
a lot of their leisure travel business, as well as business travel. If
I were a professional photographer, I'd be on the phone right now with
my Congressman.

Amtrak, anyone?

Father Kodak

snapper@mailinator.com

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:04:02 -0800, Father Kodak <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Now that I've (finally) gotten a D SLR, I learn that I apparently
> can't take spare batteries with me. What am I supposed to do? _Buy_
> spare batteries at my destination city and then discard them before I
> return home??

Just hide them in a bag of cocaine. They seem to have forgotten about drugs.

Ryan Robbins

"TH O" <tho@tho.23.invalid> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The TSA is going to restrict lithium battery carrying on airplanes
> beginning Jan 1. The rules are ridiculously complicated but it sounds
> like the max in carryon is two or three lithium batteries (counting the
> installed battery as one of the two max per the chart, or two spares
> allowed per the text) and there is a maximum total lithium weight
> allowed.
>
> What are people who carry an SLR, P&S, cellphone, and laptop -- all of
> which use lithium batteries -- supposed to do?

Right off the bat, the Web page you cite defines "spare battery." So there's
nothing wrong with carrying a cell phone, camera, laptop, GPS receiver, etc.
onto the plane if they each use a lithium battery.

mscotgrove@aol.com

On Dec 29, 9:39 am, "Ryan Robbins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "TH O" <t...@tho.23.invalid> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > The TSA is going to restrict lithium battery carrying on airplanes
> > beginning Jan 1. The rules are ridiculously complicated but it sounds
> > like the max in carryon is two or three lithium batteries (counting the
> > installed battery as one of the two max per the chart, or two spares
> > allowed per the text) and there is a maximum total lithium weight
> > allowed.

> > What are people who carry an SLR, P&S, cellphone, and laptop -- all of
> > which use lithium batteries -- supposed to do?

> Right off the bat, the Web page you cite defines "spare battery." So there's
> nothing wrong with carrying a cell phone, camera, laptop, GPS receiver, etc.
> onto the plane if they each use a lithium battery.

Quote ---
"The following quantity limits apply to both your spare and installed
batteries. The limits are expressed in grams of "equivalent lithium
content." 8 grams of equivalent lithium content is approximately 100
watt-hours. 25 grams is approximately 300 watt-hours"

It s both SPARE and INSTALLED

Just to add to UK problems, Gatwick will not relax the one carry on
rule on Jan 7th, though Heathrow will.

Michael