Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox keeps reloading web pages.

Firefox keeps reloading web pages.

RodneyK

When I use FF 1.5.0.1 for viewing news papers, the page keeps reloading.

Is this a function of FF, or of the web site, or do you think I could
have a spyware problem within my PC winXP SP2?
It is annoying. Any comment from more knowledgable folk would be
appeciated.

RodneyK

Moz Champion (Dan)

RodneyK wrote:
> When I use FF 1.5.0.1 for viewing news papers, the page keeps reloading.
>
> Is this a function of FF, or of the web site, or do you think I could
> have a spyware problem within my PC winXP SP2?
> It is annoying. Any comment from more knowledgable folk would be
> appeciated.
>

> RodneyK

A specific url or page where this occurs for you would be helpful in
diagnosing the problem

Miller

*RodneyK* wrote on 09.03.06 04:08:
> When I use FF 1.5.0.1 for viewing news papers, the page keeps reloading.
>
> Is this a function of FF, or of the web site, or do you think I could
> have a spyware problem within my PC winXP SP2?
> It is annoying. Any comment from more knowledgable folk would be
> appeciated.

Maybe this may help you: Refresh Blocker
<https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=992>

HTH, BM

RodneyK

Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
> RodneyK wrote:
>> When I use FF 1.5.0.1 for viewing news papers, the page keeps reloading.
>>
>> Is this a function of FF, or of the web site, or do you think I could
>> have a spyware problem within my PC winXP SP2?
>> It is annoying. Any comment from more knowledgable folk would be
>> appeciated.
>>

>> RodneyK

> A specific url or page where this occurs for you would be helpful in
> diagnosing the problem

Here's one.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/

It's not the only one; reputable sites (supposedly)
I use Adblock with filterset G (if that's relevant).

RodneyK

RodneyK

Miller wrote:
> *RodneyK* wrote on 09.03.06 04:08:
>> When I use FF 1.5.0.1 for viewing news papers, the page keeps reloading.
>>
>> Is this a function of FF, or of the web site, or do you think I could
>> have a spyware problem within my PC winXP SP2?
>> It is annoying. Any comment from more knowledgable folk would be
>> appeciated.

> Maybe this may help you: Refresh Blocker
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=992>
>
> HTH, BM

Thanks. I installed it. Works so far.
On each problem site there is a yellow box at the top with a time out
figure. I can now read an article without being interrupted.
I'm on dial-up and when the site reloaded the page all the pages in tabs
reloaded, which took lots of time.

RodneyK

Tony Raven

RodneyK wrote:
> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> RodneyK wrote:
>>> When I use FF 1.5.0.1 for viewing news papers, the page keeps reloading.
>>>
>>> Is this a function of FF, or of the web site, or do you think I could
>>> have a spyware problem within my PC winXP SP2?
>>> It is annoying. Any comment from more knowledgable folk would be
>>> appeciated.
>>>

>>> RodneyK

>> A specific url or page where this occurs for you would be helpful in
>> diagnosing the problem

> Here's one.
>
> http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/
>
> It's not the only one; reputable sites (supposedly)
> I use Adblock with filterset G (if that's relevant).

Doesn't happen on that page for me. I have had it happen reproducibly
on other pages but when I posted the URL here others didn't have the
problem. I can only assume its an extension issue somewhere.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

RodneyK

Tony Raven wrote:
> RodneyK wrote:
>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

>>> A specific url or page where this occurs for you would be helpful in
>>> diagnosing the problem

>> Here's one.
>>
>> http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/
>>
>> It's not the only one; reputable sites (supposedly)
>> I use Adblock with filterset G (if that's relevant).
>>

> Doesn't happen on that page for me. I have had it happen reproducibly
> on other pages but when I posted the URL here others didn't have the
> problem. I can only assume its an extension issue somewhere.

Thanks for the help my friend.
Miller posted a suggestion that I install refresh blocker. I had not
heard of it before. It seems to be working OK now. Thanks for the time.

RodneyK

SkyKing SkyKing is offline
Junior Member

Folks,

I have a note into the author of the Refresh Blocker Firefox extension but thought I'd post a note here too.

I have the latest iteration of Refresh Blocker and cannot figure out how to get it to block refreshes from some news sites. If you want to see something annoying load up the New York Times (www.nytimes.com) and particularly the Dallas Morning News (www.dallasnews.com) sites and look at how often they push a page reload. It is like every ten minutes for the DMN site.

What I'd like to do is to tailor refreshes to pages, and entire sites/domains if possible, where on some sites I let them push updates (weather radar images for example), but where I could totally block others (like the two above) from pushing updates. I have a refresh button in my browser that suits me just fine, and I don't need them interrupting me when I'm trying to load a link from an existing page.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

SkyKing SkyKing is offline
Junior Member

Folks,

Wow, three hundred and forty-seven people have viewed this, and not a single bit of input. Is that possible? Can nobody add anything to this?

Thanks,

Phil

Last edited by SkyKing; 11-30-2006 at 12:53 AM..

SkyKing SkyKing is offline
Junior Member

All,

One year and eight hundred and ninety-nine reads - I still have the problem and nobody has suggested a fix. RefreshBlocker does not work, demonstrably, so I hoped circling back by here someone might have posted a tip. Since nobody has, I wanted to put in a "refresh" post and see if bumping it up might elicit a tip from someone with another year of using Firefox.

Thanks,

Phil