Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HD-DVD Outsells Beta Ray - Amazon. No Beta Ray in top 25.

HD-DVD Outsells Beta Ray - Amazon. No Beta Ray in top 25.

Bill Vermillion

In article <H1Wdj.59588$(E-Mail Removed) >,
Bogdan Macri <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>dork wrote:

[snipola ...]

>> note that MOST Beta Ray movies are still on 30GB disks.

>Beta Ray (I'm assuming you're trying to be witty here)... that's
>cool, except for one thing... it does not help your cause,
>especially when you think of BetaMax being supported by one
>hardware manufacturer, just like HD DVD is presently.

Actually BetaMax was supported by many manufacturers when it first
came out, and then dwindled to one.

I've owned Beta machines made by Sony [of course], NEC, and Sanyo.

The NEC had about the finest higg-band Beta I recording - even
better than the Sony - and a far nicer timer mode that included
being able to timer-record from line-inputs, which Sony did later.

And the Sanyo was rebranded with a Radio Shack name on it for
awhile. Of course all the Zenith were rebaded Sony.

There were at least 6 manufacturers of Beta at one time.

When I bought my Beta it had 99% share of the market, while
VHS - which had been on the market in the US being pushed by
RCA was only about 5 month old in terms of marketing.

Just thought I'd point out that there were more than one when it
came to manufacturers. Whwn VHS came out and brought to four
tht total of vidoe formats on sale in the consumer market places,
Quasar dropped the "Great Time Machine" - which had about the most
ungainly cartrdidge I've ever seen with a piggy-back part on top,
and Sanyo dropped their V-cord, bring the ome consumer market to
two.

The other video tape format [ whose name I forget now ] had bowed
out a few years eaelier.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

Kuskokwim

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 23:42:31 GMT, Bogdan Macri wrote:

> Beta Ray (I'm assuming you're trying to be witty here)... that's cool,
> except for one thing... it does not help your cause, especially when you
> think of BetaMax being supported by one hardware manufacturer,

I thought the "Beta" might be because consumers were beta testers for both
high definition formats when they were first introduced - and maybe, for
many players, they still are.

Doug Jacobs

In alt.video.dvd dork <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In fact most games especially from EA that are on the PS3 are just regular
> old...DVD's.

Um, no. All PS3 games - regardless of their size - come on blu-ray
discs. While it is true that most PS3 games would still fit easily onto a
single DVD, they're still forced to use blu-ray media by Sony.

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.

Doug Jacobs

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Gray One <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Yet you reply with such vitriol? For ****s sake, why don't you try
> caring about something that is actually worth while. Saving sea turtles
> is a good one to start with but really who wins the HD war? Who gives a
> ****! The number of HD titles sold across both camps is still massively
> below normal SD DVD's. The number of people who own a HD TV is still
> tiny compared those with a good old 480p CRT. If you really need to
> direct your anger anywhere on the matter, point it at Sony & Toshiba and
> their HD camps for not agreeing on a standard.

Wow. A voice of reason. Too bad the dick-wavers will just write you off
as just another kook. But just know you're not alone.

from "just another kook"

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.

Gray One

says...
> > tiny compared those with a good old 480p CRT. If you really need to
> > direct your anger anywhere on the matter, point it at Sony & Toshiba and
> > their HD camps for not agreeing on a standard.

> Wow. A voice of reason. Too bad the dick-wavers will just write you off
> as just another kook. But just know you're not alone.
>
> from "just another kook"

It's sometimes hard to believe there are others who can look at these
things with some perspective but I am sure (hope) we aren't the only
two.

POD {ҿ}

Gray One <(E-Mail Removed)> once tried to test me. I ate their
liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> > tiny compared those with a good old 480p CRT. If you really need to
>> > direct your anger anywhere on the matter, point it at Sony &
>> > Toshiba and their HD camps for not agreeing on a standard.

>> Wow. A voice of reason. Too bad the dick-wavers will just write you
>> off as just another kook. But just know you're not alone.
>>
>> from "just another kook"
>>

> It's sometimes hard to believe there are others who can look at these
> things with some perspective but I am sure (hope) we aren't the only
> two.

Oh stop being so pious and enjoying the smell of your own farts! Since
when is pulling someone up for misinforming people, "dick waving"

Voices of reason my arse! You don't score kudos points to sitting on
the fence.

--
Thank you kindly

POD {ҿ}
.`..`..`..`..`..`. .`.
Oh people, know that you have committed great sins.
If you ask me what proof I have for these words,
I say it is because I am the punishment of God.
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.
.`..`..`..`..`..`. .`.

Gray One

In article <Xns9A1B227F25F7EWeLovePOD@195.188.240.200>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> Oh stop being so pious and enjoying the smell of your own farts! Since
> when is pulling someone up for misinforming people, "dick waving"
>
> Voices of reason my arse! You don't score kudos points to sitting on
> the fence.

Oi POD you fat ****! No one was sitting on any fence.. I just told some
Blu-Ray fanatic to get a ****ing life or actually care about something
that does matter. Save those turtles!!!

Anyway the sad **** will be in the throws of orgasm now as he reads the
news that WB have dropped HD-DVD.

Now **** off and hope we don't get beaten by Luton this weekend! Odds on
another Alonso goal from our own half?

POD {ҿ}

Gray One <(E-Mail Removed)> once tried to test me. I ate their
liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti

> In article <Xns9A1B227F25F7EWeLovePOD@195.188.240.200>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>> Oh stop being so pious and enjoying the smell of your own farts!
>> Since when is pulling someone up for misinforming people, "dick
>> waving"
>>
>> Voices of reason my arse! You don't score kudos points to sitting on
>> the fence.
>>

> Oi POD you fat ****! No one was sitting on any fence.. I just told
> some Blu-Ray fanatic to get a ****ing life or actually care about
> something that does matter. Save those turtles!!!
>
> Anyway the sad **** will be in the throws of orgasm now as he reads
> the news that WB have dropped HD-DVD.

glop glop glop glop glop glop glop glop glop !!! Does nye bother me
laddie, but I would like the OP to share his opimion on it

> Now **** off and hope we don't get beaten by Luton this weekend! Odds
> on another Alonso goal from our own half?

It's a cup, we'll be grand!

--
Thank you kindly

POD {ҿ}
.`..`..`..`..`..`. .`.
Oh people, know that you have committed great sins.
If you ask me what proof I have for these words,
I say it is because I am the punishment of God.
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.
.`..`..`..`..`..`. .`.

Clive.

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gray One
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>says...
>> > tiny compared those with a good old 480p CRT. If you really need to
>> > direct your anger anywhere on the matter, point it at Sony & Toshiba and
>> > their HD camps for not agreeing on a standard.

>> Wow. A voice of reason. Too bad the dick-wavers will just write you off
>> as just another kook. But just know you're not alone.
>>
>> from "just another kook"
>>

>It's sometimes hard to believe there are others who can look at these
>things with some perspective but I am sure (hope) we aren't the only
>two.

No you're not, I'm the original Betamax man, indeed I still have the
machine, but this time I'll wait for a winner. (Whichever I back will
lose.)
--
Clive.

Gunther Gloop

Clive. wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gray One
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> says...
>>> Toshiba and
>>>
>>> Wow. A voice of reason. Too bad the dick-wavers will just write you
>>> off
>>> as just another kook. But just know you're not alone.
>>>
>>> from "just another kook"

>> It's sometimes hard to believe there are others who can look at these
>> things with some perspective but I am sure (hope) we aren't the only
>> two.

> No you're not, I'm the original Betamax man, indeed I still have the
> machine, but this time I'll wait for a winner. (Whichever I back will
> lose.)

That's just selfishness. You have an opportunity to fix it for all of us
and you're there sitting on the fence. Just buy one format now so the
rest of us will know (once and for all) to get the other.

C'mon Clive. Do it for the future of the industry. Do it for mankind. We
may not thank you, but at least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing
you're bigger than all that.

-Kevin.