Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HD-DVD Outsells Beta Ray - Amazon. No Beta Ray in top 25.

HD-DVD Outsells Beta Ray - Amazon. No Beta Ray in top 25.

Leroy

> No it isn't, it's taken 3 months for the Blade Runner Blu-ray to drop down
> the charts, this dickless gimp has had to wait all year for this one blip
> in the charts to cross post this **** all over usenet.

Blade Runner has been out for less then 2 weeks for both formats..

Leroy

"Big Daddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:n9udj.59501$(E-Mail Removed) et...

> "dork" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsCodj.36559$vd4.8721@pd7urf1no...
>
>> Which makes beta Ray more prone to damage and rot.

> utter nonsense

He's right. The data is very close to the top of the disk so they HAD to put
an extra coating on it. My kids wrecked 2 of my Blu discs. the scratch thing
marketing imo and just adds to the cost plus is of minimal help anyway. No
substitute for proper handling.

All this Next Gen stuff should be on cartridges or flash media ROMs or
something!

Big Daddy

"Leroy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> He's right.

no, he's not.

>The data is very close to the top of the disk so they HAD to put an extra
>coating on it.

Has nothing to do with "rotting". The disks are not "prone" to rotting.

Winfield

Shonk wrote:
> why are people so negative about blu-ray

I'm guessing the company most associated with Blu-Ray - Sony, has
something to do with all the bad vibes.

> I love my 360 and have nearly 50k gamer score
>
> But blu-ray is clearly the better format

Yep. HD-DVD is a transition format. Blu-Ray is supposed to be the
future bride and darling of high definition DVD.

Saw above synopsis on some industry insider web page. Didn't want to
pay $1,200 for the rest of the PDF analysis paper.

Sony has been known to drop the ball by lack of support for key players
and distributors in the past.

Blu-Ray supposedly has that Java-enabled everything. I did see a 2006
article by a smaller developer complaining about "no help" from Sony on
this. Microsoft supports it's Windows community with SDK kits and .Net
frameworks.

Sony was charging smaller developers $60,000 and $40,000 for it's
Blu-Ray Java developers kits, glue, scissors and graph paper.

Let's see if Sony can get it's shithead attitude straightened out this
time. It only took them ~10 years to market an on-the-rocks MP3
portable player without their "Sonic Sound Stage" and proprietary format
features.

(Careless factual errors in my rant are property of my black kitty-cat.)
- Winfield

Lyrik

Den 28.12.2007 kl. 23:11 skrev Bells <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> They all scratch equally.
> Blu Ray disks have a rot problem though that is becoming common on DVD's
> I have 2 that have gone bad.
>
> http://www.digg.com/tech_news/Blu_ra...tarting_to_rot
>
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=857067

Well I have expected something of the sort. The data layer sticks only 0..1
mm under the surface. So they in the panic overlayered it with a hard
coat. The sandwich consists of two different materials with two different
expansion data.
The heat from the laser and player will make the disc enlarge and retract
in different tempi for the two layers. Little cracks develop like little
bubbles or slips between the layers. That's what I think!
0.1 distance to the surface is just too little.

HD-DVD has 0.6 mm to the data, the same as ordinary DVD's. Thats tested
and OK.

--
Greetings from Jens "Lyrik" Bech.

POD {ҿ}

"Leroy" <(E-Mail Removed)> once tried to test me. I ate their
liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti

>> No it isn't, it's taken 3 months for the Blade Runner Blu-ray to drop
>> down the charts, this dickless gimp has had to wait all year for this
>> one blip in the charts to cross post this **** all over usenet.
>>

> Blade Runner has been out for less then 2 weeks for both formats..

PRESALES!!!!! It was in Amazon's chart since they started listing it.
Their system is a bit rubbish as it doesn't differentiate between what
is going out the doors and what won't be released for 3 months hence

--
Thank you kindly

POD {ҿ}
.`..`..`..`..`..`. .`.
Oh people, know that you have committed great sins.
If you ask me what proof I have for these words,
I say it is because I am the punishment of God.
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.
.`..`..`..`..`..`. .`.

L Alpert

Big Daddy wrote:
> "Leroy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> He's right.

> no, he's not.
>
>> The data is very close to the top of the disk so they HAD to put an
>> extra coating on it.

> Has nothing to do with "rotting". The disks are not "prone" to
> rotting.

Rotting? Polycarbonate "rotting"? Never heard of this. There can be
damage due to UV exposure, though if this is a problem for a specific
device, there can be UV inhibitors used in the base polymer.

The disc itself should outlive the useful life of the technology.

T.B.

"POD {ҿ}" wrote:

(snip)

> HD DVD fans are like Mac users, they feel so insecure about their wrong
> purchasing choice that they need to take swipes at the opposing
> technology.

Too funny.

T.B.

T.B.

Appropriately named "dork" babbled:

> Another thing, Warner Brothers masters ALL it's new HD stuff in HD-DVD
> first, then copies it to Blu ray.
> So if your watching a Blu ..Beta Ray WB movie, it's just a copy of an
> HD-DVD.

That's got to be the dumbest thing I've read in this newsgroup, and believe
me, a lot of stupid comments have been posted here over the years.