Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HD-DVD Outsells Beta Ray - Amazon. No Beta Ray in top 25.

HD-DVD Outsells Beta Ray - Amazon. No Beta Ray in top 25.

Luke Duke

In an interesting development, Amazon.com's current (as of this writing)
list of best selling DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD sales charts shows that four of the
five Harry Potter films in the HD-DVD format are the top four movie disk
sellers on the online retailer. This is the first time that a high-def movie
disk has reached number on on Amazon.com's movie sales charts (the Blu-Ray
version of 300 peaked at number two earlier this year). This massive
increase was likely due to Amazon's current buy one-get one free deal on
selected HD-DVD releases. Other HD-DVD movie in Amazon.com's top 25 current
are Serenity (14), Hot Fuzz (20) Children of Men (22) and Planet Earth (23).
The highest Blu-Ray release on Amazon.com at the moment is Planet Earth
(34).

Note Beta-Ray had just as many BOGO and 3 for 1 sales..etc as HD-DVD
thoughout the year.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/dvd

Shonk

why are people so negative about blu-ray

I love my 360 and have nearly 50k gamer score

But blu-ray is clearly the better format

50gig a disk
and they dont get scratches on them
unlike my hd-dvd's

I own 6 hd-dvd's and 22 blu-rays

im gona stick to what works for me my ps3 for films
and my 360 for games

The biggest seller for me is no scratches on the disks everytime you look at
them
take a look at your hd-dvd's or a game they scratch like mad

not one of my blu-rays has one single mark on it

Dan

So what is your point you own a HD DVD and you want it to win?
This is the first proof that you found that it might.

"Luke Duke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> In an interesting development, Amazon.com's current (as of this writing)
> list of best selling DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD sales charts shows that four of
> the
> five Harry Potter films in the HD-DVD format are the top four movie disk
> sellers on the online retailer. This is the first time that a high-def
> movie
> disk has reached number on on Amazon.com's movie sales charts (the Blu-Ray
> version of 300 peaked at number two earlier this year). This massive
> increase was likely due to Amazon's current buy one-get one free deal on
> selected HD-DVD releases. Other HD-DVD movie in Amazon.com's top 25
> current
> are Serenity (14), Hot Fuzz (20) Children of Men (22) and Planet Earth
> (23).
> The highest Blu-Ray release on Amazon.com at the moment is Planet Earth
> (34).
>
> Note Beta-Ray had just as many BOGO and 3 for 1 sales..etc as HD-DVD
> thoughout the year.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/dvd

Lloyd Parsons

In article <Kaedj.19109$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Shonk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> why are people so negative about blu-ray
>
> I love my 360 and have nearly 50k gamer score
>
> But blu-ray is clearly the better format
>
> 50gig a disk
> and they dont get scratches on them
> unlike my hd-dvd's
>

> I own 6 hd-dvd's and 22 blu-rays
>
> im gona stick to what works for me my ps3 for films
> and my 360 for games
>

> The biggest seller for me is no scratches on the disks everytime you look at
> them
> take a look at your hd-dvd's or a game they scratch like mad
>
> not one of my blu-rays has one single mark on it

I've never seen it be an issue except with rentals. I've got lots of
HDDVD and BluRay discs, all play superbly with little difference as to
quality of playback.

Bells

"Shonk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Kaedj.19109$(E-Mail Removed)...
> why are people so negative about blu-ray
>
> I love my 360 and have nearly 50k gamer score
>
> But blu-ray is clearly the better format
>
> 50gig a disk
> and they dont get scratches on them
> unlike my hd-dvd's
>

> I own 6 hd-dvd's and 22 blu-rays
>
> im gona stick to what works for me my ps3 for films
> and my 360 for games
>

> The biggest seller for me is no scratches on the disks everytime you look
> at them
> take a look at your hd-dvd's or a game they scratch like mad
>
> not one of my blu-rays has one single mark on it

They all scratch equally.
Blu Ray disks have a rot problem though that is becoming common on DVD's
I have 2 that have gone bad.

http://www.digg.com/tech_news/Blu_ra...tarting_to_rot

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=857067

Larry Bud

> and they dont get scratches on them
> unlike my hd-dvd's

Huh? Why would one be more scratch prone than others?

Lloyd Parsons

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Larry Bud <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > and they dont get scratches on them
> > unlike my hd-dvd's

> Huh? Why would one be more scratch prone than others?

There is a scratch resistance coating on BluRay that is not on HDDVD.
The BD guys like to fawn over it while waving the pom-poms and wearing
the cheerleader outfits...

Derek Janssen

Lloyd Parsons wrote:

> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Larry Bud <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>>and they dont get scratches on them
>>>unlike my hd-dvd's

>>Huh? Why would one be more scratch prone than others?

> There is a scratch resistance coating on BluRay that is not on HDDVD.
> The BD guys like to fawn over it while waving the pom-poms and wearing
> the cheerleader outfits...

Viz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jEbZt6AIQ

Derek Janssen (Bring It On 3: All or Nothing)

Lloyd Parsons

In article <hIgdj.572$Ko6.60@trndny02>,
Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Lloyd Parsons wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> >>Huh? Why would one be more scratch prone than others?

> > There is a scratch resistance coating on BluRay that is not on HDDVD.
> > The BD guys like to fawn over it while waving the pom-poms and wearing
> > the cheerleader outfits...

> Viz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jEbZt6AIQ
>
> Derek Janssen (Bring It On 3: All or Nothing)
> (E-Mail Removed)

He forgot to wear his cheerleader skirt!! <G>

And just so you know, he didn't actually PLAY a single movie clip with
his 'damaged' BD. Just mounting it doesn't mean it plays. Hell, I've
NEVER had a DVD, HDDVD or BD disc not mount!

You tube - the place for people with too much time on their hands.

Shonk

it was a batch of one film wasnt it..