Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Inferring RAM from array of records

Inferring RAM from array of records

jtw

A coworker asked me if I knew of a problem with synthesis tools inferring
RAM (Xilinx is the target) from an array of records, versus an array of
std_[u]logic_vector. He was using XST; I haven't had a chance to try
Synplify.

JTW

Mike Treseler

jtw wrote:
> A coworker asked me if I knew of a problem with synthesis tools inferring
> RAM (Xilinx is the target) from an array of records, versus an array of
> std_[u]logic_vector.

I have found that inference is not
sensitive to vector type if the
template matches functionally.