Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Searchable text of Kernagan and Richie?

Searchable text of Kernagan and Richie?

just another hacker

Word Up Friends ~

I wuz after an online copy of K&R C book... found me a pdf, but it's
only got scanned text.

Can ppl suggest a url with fully searchable text of the book?

Thanx M8S.

Flash Gordon

just another hacker wrote, On 28/12/07 16:56:
> Word Up Friends ~
>
> I wuz after an online copy of K&R C book... found me a pdf, but it's
> only got scanned text.

Please report that site to the publisher. It is in breach of copyright.

> Can ppl suggest a url with fully searchable text of the book?

There are no legally available electronic copies of K&R. None. All such
copies are illegal and using one instead of buying a legal copy is
denying the authors money for the work they put in, money that they
deserve in my opinion.
--
Flash Gordon

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-gordon.me.uk>,
Flash Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There are no legally available electronic copies of K&R. None. All such
>copies are illegal and using one instead of buying a legal copy is
>denying the authors money for the work they put in, money that they
>deserve in my opinion.

I know what you mean, but I -suspect- you are technically wrong.
There are probably electronic copies of the book for use by the blind.
(I have personally met two blind programmers, so I know for
sure they exist.)
--
"I was very young in those days, but I was also rather dim."
-- Christopher Priest

Richard Heathfield

Walter Roberson said:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-gordon.me.uk>,
> Flash Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>There are no legally available electronic copies of K&R. None. All such
>>copies are illegal and using one instead of buying a legal copy is
>>denying the authors money for the work they put in, money that they
>>deserve in my opinion.

> I know what you mean, but I -suspect- you are technically wrong.
> There are probably electronic copies of the book for use by the blind.

ISTR Greg Doensch (who is the Prentice Hall person responsible for K&R)
once telling me that no electronic version of any edition of K&R legally
exists. Either he's wrong or you are (or of course I could be
disremembering, but I don't think I am).

Email: -http://www. +rjh@

Ben Pfaff

> Walter Roberson said:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-gordon.me.uk>,
>> Flash Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>There are no legally available electronic copies of K&R. None. All such
>>>copies are illegal and using one instead of buying a legal copy is
>>>denying the authors money for the work they put in, money that they
>>>deserve in my opinion.

>> I know what you mean, but I -suspect- you are technically wrong.
>> There are probably electronic copies of the book for use by the blind.

> ISTR Greg Doensch (who is the Prentice Hall person responsible for K&R)
> once telling me that no electronic version of any edition of K&R legally
> exists. Either he's wrong or you are (or of course I could be
> disremembering, but I don't think I am).

An electronic version of K&R could exist without Prentice Hall's
knowledge or approval, because in the US creation of media
exclusively for use of the blind does not require permission of
the copyright holder.
--
"C has its problems, but a language designed from scratch would have some too,
and we know C's problems."

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Walter Roberson said:

>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-gordon.me.uk>,
>> Flash Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>There are no legally available electronic copies of K&R. None.

>> I know what you mean, but I -suspect- you are technically wrong.
>> There are probably electronic copies of the book for use by the blind.

>ISTR Greg Doensch (who is the Prentice Hall person responsible for K&R)
>once telling me that no electronic version of any edition of K&R legally
>exists. Either he's wrong or you are

Checking, I see that Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic has it
on -audio- CD, and that there is a braille copy available.

Checking Canadian law, I see that

32. (1) It is not an infringement of copyright for a person, at the
request of a person with a perceptual disability, or for a non-profit
organization acting for his or her benefit, to

(a) make a copy or sound recording of a literary, musical,
artistic or dramatic work, other than a cinematographic work, in
a format specially designed for persons with a perceptual
disability;

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/ShowDoc...alse#codese:32

The permission of the publisher would not be needed in this case.
--
"All is vanity." -- Ecclesiastes

Exercise from Kernagan and Richie Phil Bradby C Programming 7 04-09-2010 06:18 PM
ANN: NUCULAR fielded text searchable indexing aaron.watters@gmail.com Python 16 10-27-2007 12:37 PM
RE: Fwd: NUCULAR fielded text searchable indexing Delaney, Timothy (Tim) Python 7 10-15-2007 11:03 PM
Searchable ComboBoxes Craig G ASP .Net 1 03-23-2005 01:47 PM
Searchable Combobox In ASP.NET Vadim ASP .Net 4 02-27-2005 04:17 PM

Advertisments