Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > My PC will only boot after 10-15 minutes by pressing the reset button!!

My PC will only boot after 10-15 minutes by pressing the reset button!!

jinny@somewhere.com

AMD700, WinXP Pro SP2.

Hi.
My PC has begun acting strangely. When I press the "on" button,
nothing happens however if I leave it on for about 10-15 minutes then
press the "reset" button It boots fine, as normal.
After I have pressed the "on" button the PC seems to go through some
of the POST, the CD and floppy lights flicker which I assume is the
BIOS checking to see where to boot from but then nothing. The monitor
remains blank also I don't hear the H\D moving. 10-15 minutes later,
after pressing the reset button the PC boots as normal and performs as
normal.
Logic would seem to imply some failing component in the PC needs to
warm up before the PC can boot.
TIA and a happy new year.

Meat Plow

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:46:02 +0000, jinny wrote:

> AMD700, WinXP Pro SP2.
>
> Hi.
> My PC has begun acting strangely. When I press the "on" button,
> nothing happens however if I leave it on for about 10-15 minutes then
> press the "reset" button It boots fine, as normal.
> After I have pressed the "on" button the PC seems to go through some
> of the POST, the CD and floppy lights flicker which I assume is the
> BIOS checking to see where to boot from but then nothing. The monitor
> remains blank also I don't hear the H\D moving. 10-15 minutes later,
> after pressing the reset button the PC boots as normal and performs as
> normal.
> Logic would seem to imply some failing component in the PC needs to
> warm up before the PC can boot.
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> TIA and a happy new year.

AMD 700? Old enough to have high ESR capacitors on the motherboard and/or
in the power supply. Once a capacitor with a high ESR "warms up" it can
function normally. If I were to make a choice between the two I would
suspect the motherboard since a power supply with high ESR caps usually
doesn't even power on.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

>AMD700, WinXP Pro SP2.
>
>Hi.
>My PC has begun acting strangely. When I press the "on" button,
>nothing happens however if I leave it on for about 10-15 minutes then
>press the "reset" button It boots fine, as normal.
>After I have pressed the "on" button the PC seems to go through some
>of the POST, the CD and floppy lights flicker which I assume is the
>BIOS checking to see where to boot from but then nothing. The monitor
>remains blank also I don't hear the H\D moving. 10-15 minutes later,
>after pressing the reset button the PC boots as normal and performs as
>normal.
>Logic would seem to imply some failing component in the PC needs to
>warm up before the PC can boot.
>Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>TIA and a happy new year.

Cold boot runs all the BIOS test, a reset bypasses some, one being a
memory test.

Run memtest86, http://www.memtest86.com/

Stick a PC speaker to the mother board (they seems to leave these
out anymore) and google: bios beep codes - if you have more than one
beep.

--

Funny, Odd and Interesting Images of 2007
http://tinyurl.com/2cns8k

jinny@somewhere.com

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:23:25 -0500, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:46:02 +0000, jinny wrote:
>
>> AMD700, WinXP Pro SP2.
>>
>> Hi.
>> My PC has begun acting strangely. When I press the "on" button,
>> nothing happens however if I leave it on for about 10-15 minutes then
>> press the "reset" button It boots fine, as normal.
>> After I have pressed the "on" button the PC seems to go through some
>> of the POST, the CD and floppy lights flicker which I assume is the
>> BIOS checking to see where to boot from but then nothing. The monitor
>> remains blank also I don't hear the H\D moving. 10-15 minutes later,
>> after pressing the reset button the PC boots as normal and performs as
>> normal.
>> Logic would seem to imply some failing component in the PC needs to
>> warm up before the PC can boot.
>> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>> TIA and a happy new year.

>AMD 700? Old enough to have high ESR capacitors on the motherboard and/or
>in the power supply. Once a capacitor with a high ESR "warms up" it can
>function normally. If I were to make a choice between the two I would
>suspect the motherboard since a power supply with high ESR caps usually
>doesn't even power on.

Anyway of checking this? i.e, would the capacitors be bulging?
Thanks.

jinny@somewhere.com

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:38:33 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>AMD700, WinXP Pro SP2.
>>
>>Hi.
>>My PC has begun acting strangely. When I press the "on" button,
>>nothing happens however if I leave it on for about 10-15 minutes then
>>press the "reset" button It boots fine, as normal.
>>After I have pressed the "on" button the PC seems to go through some
>>of the POST, the CD and floppy lights flicker which I assume is the
>>BIOS checking to see where to boot from but then nothing. The monitor
>>remains blank also I don't hear the H\D moving. 10-15 minutes later,
>>after pressing the reset button the PC boots as normal and performs as
>>normal.
>>Logic would seem to imply some failing component in the PC needs to
>>warm up before the PC can boot.
>>Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>TIA and a happy new year.

>Cold boot runs all the BIOS test, a reset bypasses some, one being a
>memory test.

I can press reset 100 times but the PC will not boot until at least 10
minutes waiting.

>Run memtest86, http://www.memtest86.com/

>Stick a PC speaker to the mother board (they seems to leave these
>out anymore) and google: bios beep codes - if you have more than one
>beep.

No beeps at all until I hit the reset button 10 minutes later then all
beeps as normal.
Thanks.

Shel-hed

X-post removed

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:46:02 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>AMD700, WinXP Pro SP2.
>
>Hi.
>My PC has begun acting strangely. When I press the "on" button,
>nothing happens however if I leave it on for about 10-15 minutes then
>press the "reset" button It boots fine, as normal.

I just went through this with my PC. It was a failed DVD drive causing the
black screen of death.
First make sure that there are no disks in the optical drives. If there are
are, remove it, and try as normal. If no luck, remove the power and data cables
from the drives. It may be a good idea to go into the bios after doing this and
set the "reset escd data" option, and set the primary slave, secondary master
and secondary slave to "none". Oh ya... do you remove the power from the tower
every night? If so, check your battery.

Bad motherboard capacitors are usually bulged. If your mobo and cpu are the
same vintage, the mobo probably predates the worst of the capacitor plague.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:38:33 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>AMD700, WinXP Pro SP2.
>>>
>>>Hi.
>>>My PC has begun acting strangely. When I press the "on" button,
>>>nothing happens however if I leave it on for about 10-15 minutes then
>>>press the "reset" button It boots fine, as normal.
>>>After I have pressed the "on" button the PC seems to go through some
>>>of the POST, the CD and floppy lights flicker which I assume is the
>>>BIOS checking to see where to boot from but then nothing. The monitor
>>>remains blank also I don't hear the H\D moving. 10-15 minutes later,
>>>after pressing the reset button the PC boots as normal and performs as
>>>normal.
>>>Logic would seem to imply some failing component in the PC needs to
>>>warm up before the PC can boot.
>>>Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>>TIA and a happy new year.

>>Cold boot runs all the BIOS test, a reset bypasses some, one being a
>>memory test.

>I can press reset 100 times but the PC will not boot until at least 10
>minutes waiting.

>>Stick a PC speaker to the mother board (they seems to leave these
>>out anymore) and google: bios beep codes - if you have more than one
>>beep.

>No beeps at all until I hit the reset button 10 minutes later then all
>beeps as normal.

Then I'd try Meat Plow's observation, and check for bulging,
exploded or leaking caps.
google images:
Bulging caps :http://tinyurl.com/2a4bs6
Bad Caps: http://tinyurl.com/2attcb
--

Funny, Odd and Interesting Images of 2007
http://tinyurl.com/2cns8k

jinny@somewhere.com

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 18:20:32 GMT, Shel-hed <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>X-post removed
>
>On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:46:02 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>AMD700, WinXP Pro SP2.
>>
>>Hi.
>>My PC has begun acting strangely. When I press the "on" button,
>>nothing happens however if I leave it on for about 10-15 minutes then
>>press the "reset" button It boots fine, as normal.

>I just went through this with my PC. It was a failed DVD drive causing the
>black screen of death.

That is what I thought initially as the CD LED's were flickering,
almost like the PC was trying to boot from it so I removed the drive
and cables but no difference.

>First make sure that there are no disks in the optical drives. If there are
>are, remove it, and try as normal. If no luck, remove the power and data cables
>from the drives. It may be a good idea to go into the bios after doing this and
>set the "reset escd data" option, and set the primary slave, secondary master
>and secondary slave to "none". Oh ya... do you remove the power from the tower
>every night?

No

>If so, check your battery.

>Bad motherboard capacitors are usually bulged. If your mobo and cpu are the
>same vintage, the mobo probably predates the worst of the capacitor plague.

Ok, thanks.

jinny@somewhere.com

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:34:52 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>>Cold boot runs all the BIOS test, a reset bypasses some, one being a
>>>memory test.

>>I can press reset 100 times but the PC will not boot until at least 10
>>minutes waiting.

>>>Stick a PC speaker to the mother board (they seems to leave these
>>>out anymore) and google: bios beep codes - if you have more than one
>>>beep.

>>No beeps at all until I hit the reset button 10 minutes later then all
>>beeps as normal.

>Then I'd try Meat Plow's observation, and check for bulging,
>exploded or leaking caps.
>google images:
>Bulging caps :http://tinyurl.com/2a4bs6
>Bad Caps: http://tinyurl.com/2attcb

Thanks for your help.
If it did turn out to be bad caps ( I haven't checked yet) how easy
would it be to replace them myself? or would it make more sense to bin
the MB and get a new one?

Meat Plow

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 17:43:02 +0000, jinny wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:23:25 -0500, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:46:02 +0000, jinny wrote:
>>
>>> AMD700, WinXP Pro SP2.
>>>
>>> Hi.
>>> My PC has begun acting strangely. When I press the "on" button,
>>> nothing happens however if I leave it on for about 10-15 minutes then
>>> press the "reset" button It boots fine, as normal.
>>> After I have pressed the "on" button the PC seems to go through some
>>> of the POST, the CD and floppy lights flicker which I assume is the
>>> BIOS checking to see where to boot from but then nothing. The monitor
>>> remains blank also I don't hear the H\D moving. 10-15 minutes later,
>>> after pressing the reset button the PC boots as normal and performs as
>>> normal.
>>> Logic would seem to imply some failing component in the PC needs to
>>> warm up before the PC can boot.
>>> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>> TIA and a happy new year.

>>AMD 700? Old enough to have high ESR capacitors on the motherboard and/or
>>in the power supply. Once a capacitor with a high ESR "warms up" it can
>>function normally. If I were to make a choice between the two I would
>>suspect the motherboard since a power supply with high ESR caps usually
>>doesn't even power on.

> Anyway of checking this? i.e, would the capacitors be bulging?
> Thanks.

Only way to check is with an ESR meter. Or if you know where the power
is being distributed on the motherboard, you can heat things up with a
hair dryer. Usually you can spot these caps because they are located
together and there are once again "usually" a dozen or so of them.
I don't know what your electronics acumen is but you used the term
"bulging" to describe them and that tell me you know something about it.
I've recapped one Abit board in the past. They ran into a problem with
their cap vendor supplying faulty caps.
By the way ESR means Equivalent Series Resistance. All electrolytic caps
have some ESR. Once the cap ages the insides can dry out and raise the
ESR past the value of the cap. Heating seems to increase the efficiency
making the high ESR less of a problem and allowing the circuit to operate
until the cap cools.