Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > File Sharing

File Sharing

Easygoing Dave

I had a home network running just fine with my laptop wireless and my
desktop wired, both running XP.

I have just added my son and daughters laptops running Vista to the
network. The problem with these 2 laptops is:

I can access the web without problem on all 4 machines.

My original 2 machines can share files without problem.

The 2 new laptops can share files with my XP laptop no problem.

The 2 new laptops can see the shared folder on my desktop, but neither
can open the shared folder, saying No Administrator rights to share
this folder.

If I want to send files from my desktop to the new laptops, I have to
send from the shared folder on the desktop using my XP Laptop

I am running on a router supplied by O2 with WEP Security.

I have also tried using my desktop wirelessly using a wireless dongle

Does anyone have any suggestions

TIA

Dave

Chuck [MVP]

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 21:52:12 -0800 (PST), Easygoing Dave
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I had a home network running just fine with my laptop wireless and my
>desktop wired, both running XP.
>
>I have just added my son and daughters laptops running Vista to the
>network. The problem with these 2 laptops is:
>
>I can access the web without problem on all 4 machines.
>
>My original 2 machines can share files without problem.
>
>The 2 new laptops can share files with my XP laptop no problem.
>
>The 2 new laptops can see the shared folder on my desktop, but neither
>can open the shared folder, saying No Administrator rights to share
>this folder.
>
>If I want to send files from my desktop to the new laptops, I have to
>send from the shared folder on the desktop using my XP Laptop
>
>I am running on a router supplied by O2 with WEP Security.
>
>I have also tried using my desktop wirelessly using a wireless dongle

Hi Dave,

What's the complete and precise error message? " ... no administrator rights to
share ..." when trying to access isn't normal (nor is it a known error). But
"... access denied ..." is, and can be caused by many problems.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/mysterious-error-5-aka-access-denied.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ss-denied.html

I'd bet that you have a problem with a misconfigured or overlooked personal
firewall, blocking SMBs.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

When WiFi is involved, you could also have a master browser conflict.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...lways-see.html

I'd use logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config server", and
"net config workstation", from each computer, and diagnose the problem. Read
this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (download
browstat!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT