Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > NVIDIA Drivers

NVIDIA Drivers

itsdesp

Hi everyone, i want to update my display adapter driver, which i`ve
located on the nvidia website. Before i install it i need to uninstall
the old one first. The only nvidia drivers i can find on my pc, via
the start menu - control panel - add or remove programs is one which
opens up to reveal the following drivers: ethernet driver components,
Gart driver, IDE driver, nForce pci system management driver. Which
one "if any ?" is the one i need to uninstall ? I`m using XP home
SP2, AMD pc. Thanks in advance. Des

Mike Easter

itsdesp wrote:
> Hi everyone, i want to update my display adapter driver, which i`ve
> located on the nvidia website. Before i install it i need to uninstall
> the old one first. The only nvidia drivers i can find on my pc, via
> the start menu - control panel - add or remove programs is one which
> opens up to reveal the following drivers: ethernet driver components,
> Gart driver, IDE driver, nForce pci system management driver. Which
> one "if any ?" is the one i need to uninstall ? I`m using XP home
> SP2, AMD pc.

Nvidia is a good source of drivers

A better approach than what you've described is via Start/ Settings/ CP
Control Panel/ System/ Hardware tab/ Device Manager
button/ expand Display adapters and select your adapter - R click
context menu Properties or Update manager and go from there

This is about updating or replacing drivers, not add/remove programs.

--
Mike Easter

ded

"itsdesp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone, i want to update my display adapter driver, which i`ve
> located on the nvidia website. Before i install it i need to uninstall
> the old one first. The only nvidia drivers i can find on my pc, via
> the start menu - control panel - add or remove programs is one which
> opens up to reveal the following drivers: ethernet driver components,
> Gart driver, IDE driver, nForce pci system management driver. Which
> one "if any ?" is the one i need to uninstall ? I`m using XP home
> SP2, AMD pc. Thanks in advance. Des

You uninstall/install via device manager

Device Manager in XP:
double-click on the System icon in Control Panel,
choose the Hardware tab,
and then click Device Manager.
A tree will list devices, scroll and locate "Display Adapters"
open the sub-heading
Listed will be your NVIDIA graphics card
RIGHT click on it and select "Properties"
In the ensuing dialog click the "Driver" tab
Listed will be several options.
One option will be "Update Driver", but if you are
100% certain that the Nvidia download site instructed
that drivers must be uninstalled before updating, then
click the "Uninstall" button
You will receive warnings, click to ignore.
Once uninstalled - Reboot.
All graphics cards are configured to be able to display
without drivers, but it will be of low resolution when
you Reboot (a bit like safe-mode)
Then access Device Manager as detailed above
Again navigate to Driver tab and click to "Update Driver"
just direct the ensuing wizard to the folder where you
saved the downloaded drivers.

Important note:
Only uninstall existing drivers if the Nvidia site instructs
you to do so, if not choose to Update without uninstalling.
Create a restore point before attempting the uninstall/update.

old man

NVidea display drivers are usually listed in Add/Remove Programs dialogue,
at least they have been in win2k & Winxp & various versions of Nvidea
drivers that I have used. That is also the Nvidea recommended method of
uninstalling them
Its possible they wont be listed if winupdate has been used for drivers.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...