Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > tft monitor help (Long shot)

tft monitor help (Long shot)

howard

Emprex 19" out of warranty, local repair shop won't touch it for some
reason.
Problem, simple not powering up.
cable and fuse ok, tried on another monitor.
I suspect there is an inline fuse in the back of the monitor.
But there is not a screw in sight anywhere. Surely they are not sealed?
I know yes I will try the hammer later, but in the meantime, anyone had
experience with these things?

Mike Easter

howard wrote:
> Emprex 19" out of warranty, local repair shop won't touch it for some
> reason.
> Problem, simple not powering up.
> cable and fuse ok, tried on another monitor.
> I suspect there is an inline fuse in the back of the monitor.
> But there is not a screw in sight anywhere. Surely they are not
> sealed? I know yes I will try the hammer later, but in the meantime,
> anyone had experience with these things?

I have a couple of 17" emprex, no experience disassembling.

Emprex has a website and a contact form. Got to the site, find your
monitor, there are 7 different 19", click it to a page with the specs,
then click the technical support link to this form
http://www.emprex.com/04_contact_02.php

I have a manual, a .pdf which came on CD with my monitor/s which has
more information than the website on such as powersaving and other data
and configuration tables.

Are you saying that if you are plugged in, regardless of video
connection, that you cannot get any kind of power light if you cycle the
switch? Which 19" do you have?

--
Mike Easter

howard

Mike Easter wrote:
> howard wrote:
>> Emprex 19" out of warranty, local repair shop won't touch it for some
>> reason.
>> Problem, simple not powering up.
>> cable and fuse ok, tried on another monitor.
>> I suspect there is an inline fuse in the back of the monitor.
>> But there is not a screw in sight anywhere. Surely they are not
>> sealed? I know yes I will try the hammer later, but in the meantime,
>> anyone had experience with these things?

> I have a couple of 17" emprex, no experience disassembling.
>
> Emprex has a website and a contact form. Got to the site, find your
> monitor, there are 7 different 19", click it to a page with the specs,
> then click the technical support link to this form
> http://www.emprex.com/04_contact_02.php
>
> I have a manual, a .pdf which came on CD with my monitor/s which has
> more information than the website on such as powersaving and other data
> and configuration tables.
>
> Are you saying that if you are plugged in, regardless of video
> connection, that you cannot get any kind of power light if you cycle the
> switch? Which 19" do you have?

No power light at all model emprex lm-1905 if that helps

JANA

Most of the TFT monitors are not supported for after warranty service.
During warranty, if it is an expensive model, the service rep will change
the defective module or card. They are serviced at the modular level.

A common problem with these is the power supply, the lamp ballast, and the
back plane lamps. With most TFT displays, the back plane lamps are not
replaceable. They are built as an integral part of the display.

Sometimes when a power supply unit fails it may be a number of electrolytic
caps. If you have an ESR meter it is possible to determine the failed ones,
and then replace them. Some of the caps are surface mount types.

As for failures in the processor boards, and other areas and types, this
will not be practical to try and service.

The reason why no service shop will take on your monitor to service it is
because they know that there will be no support for it or availability for
parts and service manuals. The time involved just to have an idea of the
problem will not be cost effective.

--

JANA
_____

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

JANA wrote:
> Most of the TFT monitors are not supported for after warranty service.
> During warranty, if it is an expensive model, the service rep will change
> the defective module or card. They are serviced at the modular level.
>
> A common problem with these is the power supply, the lamp ballast, and the
> back plane lamps. With most TFT displays, the back plane lamps are not
> replaceable. They are built as an integral part of the display.
>
> Sometimes when a power supply unit fails it may be a number of electrolytic
> caps. If you have an ESR meter it is possible to determine the failed ones,
> and then replace them. Some of the caps are surface mount types.
>
> As for failures in the processor boards, and other areas and types, this
> will not be practical to try and service.
>
> The reason why no service shop will take on your monitor to service it is
> because they know that there will be no support for it or availability for
> parts and service manuals. The time involved just to have an idea of the
> problem will not be cost effective.

Thank you for your help, that explains a lot.
Cheers

TFT monitor on the blinky Ladydeb Computer Support 3 09-03-2004 12:32 PM
Cheap Quality TFT Monitor Mr Mucky Computer Support 10 06-16-2004 05:07 PM
TFT monitor and dvi B Computer Support 2 05-18-2004 07:11 PM
Dropped TFT Monitor - white edge chip_y2kuk Computer Support 15 02-16-2004 02:32 AM
Whats the cause of the waves on my TFT monitor? Chris Computer Support 2 09-21-2003 07:08 PM

Advertisments