Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Continuous Request

Reply
Thread Tools

Continuous Request

 
 
iPC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2007
I'm a novice wifier but tackled a big project setting up a couple outdoor
wifi towers and repeaters that now service a few hundred clients. But on one
router, two clients' computers show up in the security log with a "request"
every few seconds. These clients are mostly computer illiterate, use
computers manufactured by different companies and dissimilar "G" adapters.
Any ideas on what's going on?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2007
Hi
Wireless Signals are propagating through the air like any other "Radio"
signal.
As a result any Wireless Networks in your reception area (yours and others)
would appear in the list of available sources. (Just like your Radio/TV
that can receive all the Radio/TV stations in your area and you choose the
one that you want to use).
I do not know what type of equipment you use, but hopefully there good
authentication and security so that stranger will not be able to log on.
However the requests in the log is normal and should be ignored if the
computers did not actually log on and use the network.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"iPC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm a novice wifier but tackled a big project setting up a couple outdoor
> wifi towers and repeaters that now service a few hundred clients. But on
> one router, two clients' computers show up in the security log with a
> "request" every few seconds. These clients are mostly computer illiterate,
> use computers manufactured by different companies and dissimilar "G"
> adapters. Any ideas on what's going on?
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
iPC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2007
Equipment equals: Belkin N1 Vision Router, Belkin Range Extenders, mixed
Belkin-hField WiFire-Other Adapters all on WPA2 security. The computers that
repeatedly show up as 'Requests' every few seconds/minutes are expected
clients and connected to the network but no other computers do this. Maybe
I'll update the N1 Vision firmware and see if there's a bug fix ready or as
you stated Jack, just ignore the log. Everything seems to work great other
than the anomalous security log entries. Thanks!


"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Wireless Signals are propagating through the air like any other "Radio"
> signal.
> As a result any Wireless Networks in your reception area (yours and
> others) would appear in the list of available sources. (Just like your
> Radio/TV that can receive all the Radio/TV stations in your area and you
> choose the one that you want to use).
> I do not know what type of equipment you use, but hopefully there good
> authentication and security so that stranger will not be able to log on.
> However the requests in the log is normal and should be ignored if the
> computers did not actually log on and use the network.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "iPC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm a novice wifier but tackled a big project setting up a couple outdoor
>> wifi towers and repeaters that now service a few hundred clients. But on
>> one router, two clients' computers show up in the security log with a
>> "request" every few seconds. These clients are mostly computer
>> illiterate, use computers manufactured by different companies and
>> dissimilar "G" adapters. Any ideas on what's going on?
>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-28-2007
Hi
Try to ID the computer, it might be one of your clients with an infested
computer, or some one who is trying to illegally hack and logon to the
service.
If you can ID the computer block it in the Router. If it is an existing
client he would complain that there is No service, and you would be able to
help him fixing his problem.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"iPC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Equipment equals: Belkin N1 Vision Router, Belkin Range Extenders, mixed
> Belkin-hField WiFire-Other Adapters all on WPA2 security. The computers
> that repeatedly show up as 'Requests' every few seconds/minutes are
> expected clients and connected to the network but no other computers do
> this. Maybe I'll update the N1 Vision firmware and see if there's a bug
> fix ready or as you stated Jack, just ignore the log. Everything seems to
> work great other than the anomalous security log entries. Thanks!
>
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> Wireless Signals are propagating through the air like any other "Radio"
>> signal.
>> As a result any Wireless Networks in your reception area (yours and
>> others) would appear in the list of available sources. (Just like your
>> Radio/TV that can receive all the Radio/TV stations in your area and you
>> choose the one that you want to use).
>> I do not know what type of equipment you use, but hopefully there good
>> authentication and security so that stranger will not be able to log on.
>> However the requests in the log is normal and should be ignored if the
>> computers did not actually log on and use the network.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "iPC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm a novice wifier but tackled a big project setting up a couple
>>> outdoor wifi towers and repeaters that now service a few hundred
>>> clients. But on one router, two clients' computers show up in the
>>> security log with a "request" every few seconds. These clients are
>>> mostly computer illiterate, use computers manufactured by different
>>> companies and dissimilar "G" adapters. Any ideas on what's going on?
>>>

>>

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possible continuous console checking eddieroger@gmail.com Java 13 01-16-2006 09:49 AM
Windows XP Continuous Reboot =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?= Computer Support 1 01-12-2005 02:23 PM
ntfs.sys stop and dump then continuous reboot after mup.sys Moon Computer Support 2 10-07-2004 10:30 PM
Re: Accessing Request.InputStream / Request.BinaryRead *as the request is occuring*: How??? Brian Birtle ASP .Net 2 10-16-2003 02:11 PM
Continuous Web Browsing Error! SCW Computer Support 2 09-03-2003 04:46 PM



Advertisments