Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Noob here with MSCE cert questions.

Noob here with MSCE cert questions.

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZXkyMjc0?=

Hi there! Thank you in advance to anyone who can assist me. I am looking to
get my MCSE certification. I have been talking with a few schools around here
and weighing my options. I guess my question is, are these schools that
charge $17,000 for a 6-12 month course actually worth the money? They seem to
offer a lot of options and assistance that I could not get if I tried to do
this on my own. I am 31, single, and work full time. An additional 30+ hours
a week is going to be tough on me! Any assistance on the quickest, yet most
effective route for me to take would be greatly appriciated!

kpg

Mikey2274 <(E-Mail Removed)> said something like

> I guess my question is,
> are these schools that charge $17,000 for a 6-12 month course actually
> worth the money?

No.

> They seem to offer a lot of options and assistance
> that I could not get if I tried to do this on my own.

They want to assist you in giving them money.

> I am 31, single,
> and work full time. An additional 30+ hours a week is going to be
> tough on me!

I know.

> Any assistance on the quickest, yet most effective route
> for me to take would be greatly appriciated!

Take the $17,000. Buy a book. Buy a computer. Build a network.
Take the remaining $16,000 and put it in an IRA.

JaR

plaintive wail of kpg:

>> Any assistance on the quickest, yet most effective route
>> for me to take would be greatly appriciated!

> Take the $17,000. Buy a book. Buy a computer. Build a network.
> Take the remaining $16,000 and put it in an IRA.

Exactly.

--
JaR
MCNGP 10110

John Smith

i went to one of these "cert" schools, and quite honestly i was not
impressed. your better off saving your money, and setting up your own labs
and check out the mspress books that ms offers. save yourself a couple of
grand

news:Xns9780592F33B48Talleywhacker@207.46.248.16.. .
> Echoed forth from the dank caverns of microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, the
> plaintive wail of kpg:
>

>>> Any assistance on the quickest, yet most effective route
>>> for me to take would be greatly appriciated!

>> Take the $17,000. Buy a book. Buy a computer. Build a network.
>> Take the remaining $16,000 and put it in an IRA.

> Exactly.
>
> --
> JaR
> MCNGP 10110
> Remove hat to reply
> n the twenty-first century, whoever controls the screen controls
> consciousness, information and thought. ~Timothy Leary

Grep

Excellent advice!!!

"kpg" <kenatweekendcomputerdotcom> wrote in message
news:Xns978052FA0574Cipostthereforeiam@127.0.0.1.. .
> Mikey2274 <(E-Mail Removed)> said something like

vasco

And then 6-12 months later after passing your exams buy the next set of
books and study the newly released version.

Manny Borges

No. No, No.

I am an MCT and I say NO.

Of course I consider myself to be a real MCT and not some certification mill
Microsoft Cerdified Reader .

Go buy the books. Set up a lab, play and explore. If you find that you
really love it, then after you have a few tests (yes tests)under your belt
take a few advanced courses from a Training center that caters to
proffesional development, not getting certified. Make sure they use MCTs,
and demand your money back the first time you find the trainer reading
complete paragraphs out of the MOC with the intent of direct instruction and
not as a disussion point. (of course be realistic, there only so many ways
to say some things)

Pick and choose what you need to learn and learn at your own pace.

And if you don't LOVE it, find something else.

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who do understand binary
and those who don't.
"Mikey2274" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there! Thank you in advance to anyone who can assist me. I am looking
> get my MCSE certification. I have been talking with a few schools around
> here
> and weighing my options. I guess my question is, are these schools that
> charge $17,000 for a 6-12 month course actually worth the money? They seem
> offer a lot of options and assistance that I could not get if I tried to
> do
> this on my own. I am 31, single, and work full time. An additional 30+
> hours
> a week is going to be tough on me! Any assistance on the quickest, yet
> most
> effective route for me to take would be greatly appriciated!

kpg

As Manny Borges once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse

> No. No, No.
>
> I am an MCT and I say NO.
>
> Of course I consider myself to be a real MCT and not some
> certification mill Microsoft Cerdified Reader .
>
> Go buy the books. Set up a lab, play and explore. If you find that you
> really love it, then after you have a few tests (yes tests)under your
> belt take a few advanced courses from a Training center that caters to
> proffesional development, not getting certified. Make sure they use
> MCTs, and demand your money back the first time you find the trainer
> reading complete paragraphs out of the MOC with the intent of direct
> instruction and not as a disussion point. (of course be realistic,
> there only so many ways to say some things)
>
> Pick and choose what you need to learn and learn at your own pace.
>
> And if you don't LOVE it, find something else.

Good advice. Especially the LOVE it part.